Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottomfish Jigging Combos

Default Bottomfish Jigging Combos

This has been covered before, but since Andy's (AKCAPT) thread seemed to meander a bit through no fault of his own, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into a new thread, to avoid hijacking.

I look forward to trying the new Okuma rod he mentioned in his thread, but that will have to wait til I need to replace some rods. So here's my lineup:

I love my 7' Daiwa Interline (20-50) with an Avet LX 6.0 reel. My ABSOLUTE favorite for bottom fishing. Makes the chickens fun, and the big fish funner (is that a word?)! Smokin' fast reel for bait checks.

I have a couple Shimano Trevala with older Avet LX 4.6 reels. Awesome for large rockfish/lings, and can still handle the big 'buts if we get into them.

I have a couple new Tica with the triangular, grooved forends, old Penn GTI 320 reels. Great for guests - gives them a good grip without having to worry about keeping line level. Man, have I got great mileage from those Penns!

I have a couple 5-6 Daiwa Interline with Avet EXW 3.0 reels. First Avets I bought. Awesome sticks, great for sharks if I ever get the stones to go after them myself. Kinda heavy, so I leave them to the rookies who need to brute-force the fish with the rod on the gunwhale.

Yeah, I'm blessed to have the opportunity to set up my boat for some fun fishing for my family and my friends. I don't want to start a flame war, I don't know what's best. But I do love my Daiwas and my Shimanos.

Ultimately, though, with the exception of one charter in Mexico, I can't ever remember catching a fish and thinking "what a piece of junk" about the rig - it "creek"ed. If it gets the fish to the side of the boat, it's done its job. And even on that Mexican charter, I caught a pig of a roosterfish on that piece of junk, so all was well.

Cheers,

Mort

Thanks for posting up the info Mort. Right now I mainly have Penn 330s on Okuma Tail Walker rods. They came with my first boat and I replaced the junk reels on them with the Penns. The setup is fine but heavy so I'm looking for a lightweight setup. Thankfully I've got a gift certificate to B&Js so I'm going to try and get a single nice lightweight setup. Was leaning towards an Avet and a Trevala rod but that maxed me out for sure. What do you like about the Diawa Interline and what's the difference between the two Avets you have? I'm looking for something dual speed and I like to fish with lightweight gear.

The Avet I like for jigging is the JX 2 speed with the taller arbor(sp) ( I think that's the model). Has tons of line capacity and is still light.
    Boatless

If one of you charter guys wants to sell a good halibut/rockfish combo rod lemme know. I'm tired of trying to cypher through all the conflicting info on what is the best set-up. I'd just soon have a rig ready to go so I don't have too weed thru all the arguing

I love the Interline because of the design of the forend grip and the butt length, and the light weight in a 7-foot rod is a blast. I NEVER have to worry about tangling at the tip, either. I'm experienced enough that generally isn't a problem with conventional rods, but it's nice if I hand that rod off to a newbie (which I very rarely do!). The shorter ones are super tough, great backbone for big fish, with tons of cranking power. I have never really needed the 2-speed on the EXWs, so I didn't really want to spend the money on the 2-speed for the lighter reels. The LX 4.6 are older Avets, primarily a different gear ratio. But they work great. I got into Avets on E-Bay before they became so popular there, so I got some screaming deals. Probably couldn't afford to replace the whole lineup today.

I like the idea of the JX, just haven't found the right deal on one. I have several SX rigs too, but mostly use them for salmon, though I think they'd be OK on big fish, but it would be a different fight!

So Mort, Since you have used several of the Avets, what do you think about the SX? The Lx seems to be as large as the Shimanos t hat I halibut fish with and I am looking for a little smaller reel, unless that would be foolish. And the SX is less costly.

I like the SX, and I know lots of halibut have been caught on them. I think if you are targeting halibut with the SX, you are gonna wear it out faster, but it will be fun! There's no doubt the SX can handle big fish, but it's not really the optimum tool for the job. Given the option, I would go with an MXJ (don't even know if they still make them) as a min for halibut, but the JX or LX (spool width) being my choice. If you are out for big fish as a habit, the HX seems optimum, but I haven't tried one. I still think the EX and EXW are overkill, but are great options for charters where they get so much more abuse.

idakfisher, sounds like the MXJ or JX would be what you are interested in. If you would like to borrow one this summer, let me know. I'm in Anchorage, and generally fish Homer and Seward. I'd be happy to lend one for a trial.

Mort, You reallly are helpful. I am still learning the art. I live south in the winter and Soldotna in the summer and this time of year I can only dream of Seward and Homer trips, upgrading my tackle, and learning from those that have done this more than I have-hence this forum. PM to follow.

I have three or four of the SX models and have had to have the bearings replaced on a couple of them. They have plenty of drag for decent sized flatfish, but I think that using 12 plus ounce lead head jigs take their toll on them. I bumped up to the JX series and have not had any issues at all. The pair up to the torque and trevala rods real nice.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've been following this thread with interest, because I am looking to upgrade and add to my gear. I like the Avet/Trevala combo, but I also have champagne taste on a beer budget. I've heard the upcoming Sportsman's Show has some smokin' deals, so is it worth the wait?

For the last 3 years I have this group of guys come up from the East Coast and they are the best that I have seen at jigging. I setup to start with a Accurate Reel 665H on Inter line rods and they did not like it because the rod was not strong enough to much bend. I next tried the Shimano TD 30 two speed on 100lb Bill Fish Rod. They did not like set up because the drag sucked and the pole was not stiff enough. The last combo they used and liked was an Avet 3/0 EXW on 130lb Bill Fisher rod. These guys would only 1 jig pole at time and would take turns using that pole. We where using 24 to 36 oz jigs and they would let them hit the bottom then give them one hard jerk which looked like about a 6 ft arch. I tried it a couple of times just as they where doing it caught 1 ling and 1 halibut but it was just to much work. The most productive j was a big 36 oz diamond jig.

Captaindd,
    \
    Just curious, why such heavy jigs? How deep are you nornally jigging?

I have a pair of seeker rods that now have shimano tld 15's on them. I had tld 20 one and two speeds on them, but greatly prefer the lighter reel. I picked up an okuma last year, but didn't get a chance to try it out. I'd really like to get a jigging master 250gr rod with a PE-4 reel. I'll also likely get a trevala to try. There are some physically smaller lighter reels that have monster drags, and strong enough anti reverse pawls to take the pounding of heavy jigs, but not all reels are up to that abuse.

After getting into jigging, I don't use baited bottom fish rigs anymore. I have a couple on the boat for friends who are old school. Jigs outfish the bait rigs, and the lighter rods/reels are much more enjoyable to use.

We where fishing on that trip at 130ft then end up moving to about 100ft. They liked the heavy jigs because of the current and for the fact that the big steel jigs have more of a fluttering action to them. I had 5 anglers on board 1 pole jiging and 4 with bait which had herring/squid. It takes alot of engery to jig like these guys did. It looked like they where snaging the fish but the hits where coming as the jigs flutter back down. One thing that I did do was to take the trebble hooks off the jigs. It was to hard to get them out of the fishes mouths when unhooking them. The J hooks worked just fine. We tried lighter jigs like 16oz lead heads with rubber shirts but did not have the same results.

Attachment 44152Anyone for light tackle for a bottom jigging outfit? This one is about $10Attachment 44151

Seriously though, those Avet's sound great and I'd love to get and use one, but I had to go to level wind reels a few years ago due to arthritic hands...just couldn't do the line leveling with my thumb anymore...any suggestions to make this easier so I could go back to my Penn Jigmasters and maybe try an Avet?

I too took trebles off and went to J-hooks so I could get them out, but now I exclusively use stinger hooks attached to the top of the jig, usually on a split ring....better hookups and usually in the lip, and far fewer bottom snags!

Paul, what type/weight line do you use on the tld 15? Think that'd be good on a trevala.

The TLD 15 has a bit of a slow retireve for jigging. I like to use a 6:1 reel so that after you set up on a fish you can use the reel to wind down on the fish and put a real bend in the rod. I switched over the Penn Torque rods and reels. they seem to be matched like the Shimano Trevla's. The start drag torque is plenty strong and the marching rod is just right.

Andy, didn't think about the retrieve ratio, of which I'm a big fan of (high speed) as I believe (and am open to correction) the fish should be fought with the rod primarily and the reel just picks up the line. Which models Torque specifically are you referring to? My next trip up I'm gonna get a lightweight all-round setup, don't want to break the bank though.
    Thanks-Jim

Okay, what do you guys think of a Penn Squall 15 mated to a trevala? Just got off the penn site and they don't have a shorter (less than 6') jigging rod in the 50 lb class (thinking the squall loaded w/50 lb braid & light/short jigging rod would be good all 'round setup?)
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast