Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harpoon tips ?

Default Harpoon tips ?

What are you guys using for harpoon tips ? I have seen some fish tips by Muzzy that the use for Gators in FL
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    What are you guys using for harpoon tips ? I have seen some fish tips by Muzzy that the use for Gators in FL
    Are there different kinds?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

The snake charmer in .410 is much easier and more effective, IMO.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    The snake charmer in .410 is much easier and more effective, IMO.
    The problem I have with having any sort of firearm on my boat is the volume of people I don't know that are on my boat every day and the number of youths (or as Joe Pesci said in "My Cousin Vinny", "yoots") that I take out. I'm not really willing to deal with the consequences of having a client blow a hole in my hull, or another client, by mistake.

Since you asked about harpoon tips, I won't suggest that you need something else instead. If you are in Anchorage, you can get harpoons and tips at B&J's and Sportman's Warehouse and probably other places, too. I only know of one kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    The problem I have with having any sort of firearm on my boat is the volume of people I don't know that are on my boat every day and the number of youths (or as Joe Pesci said in "My Cousin Vinny", "yoots") that I take out. I'm not really willing to deal with the consequences of having a client blow a hole in my hull, or another client, by mistake.
    Not a good idea! Letting the clients do the shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Why would you have a client shoot the fish? I've shot and gaffed many halibut by myself and seen charter captains do it.... I would expect you to do the same.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

What do you do Muttley strip search your customers? Do a TSA pat down? I always use a bang stick on large halibut.but you do not need one if all you catch is chickens. I also carry a pistol you never no when you will need to use one for self protection.

I'm not sure why it is that everyone feels the need to hijack a thread that someone starts just to harass me. I'm sorry Roger. I have tried to keep this thread on track since all you asked was what kind of harpoon tips people use---NOT whether or not it is better to shoot a halibut.

In answer to the people that seem to think harassing me is so much fun, NO, I wouldn't let a client shoot a fish. I don't like having a gun on my boat for liability reasons. I don't know the people that I take out fishing and I have no idea if someone is going to take my gun from wherever I put it thinking it would be OK to take a look at it and do something with it that could jeapordize them or myself. I also take children on my boat and I know how curious children can be. Why is that so hard for you people to understand?

A harpoon works just fine for me. Why is THAT so hard for you people to understand? Roger asked what kind of harpoon tips people use. All I was doing was trying to help him out. You people are NOT helping.

For Roger - the harpoon tips I use I bought here in Homer at the Gear Shed. I don't know if they have a brand name or not, but if you'd like me to I'll take a look and see. They're just a stainless steel tip with a long piece of stainless cable attached to them with a loop on one end you can tie a rope to. Hope that helps.

Sportsmans has replacement tips for halibut harpoons for $29.99. I got a couple spares just in case. I keep two spares for each harpoons.
    Next question.... I use parachute cord hooked to my harpoon tips. It stretches if a fish has the gumption to thrash after stuck with the harpoon. Unfortunately even with gloves on you can get your hands hurt bad (lesson learned the hard way) if you aren't really careful with it. Is there a better thicker solution that will still effectively tie on to the harpoon cable?

I usually shoot and gaff,as I don`t like all the thrashing that goes on with the harpooned fish.But completely understand anyones uncomfortableness with weapons on board.I do keep one of the pointed cylindrical ones on board,like muttly uses,for the those lighty hooked fish.They work well IMHO

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

When I started out I made toggle tips out of deer antler tines and used whatever metal shaft I could find (small outboard shafts worked great) as a shaft for the tip, then I would attach to a broken oar shaft.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

My harpoon tip has a steel cable hooked to it (came attached to the tip). At the end of that cable I put a small shackle. Take a length of line (half inch or whatever, nylon), make a bowline on the end, and attach it to the shackle. I think my line is maybe 10 or so feet long. If you don't shoot the halibut, and even if you do, you can tie the end of the line off to a cleat. To remove the harpoon tip from the fish, I just detach the line from the shackle, grab the harpoontip, and pull the cable on through the fish. If you're looking for something to allow the line to have some "give", I've noticed a rubber "snubber" (?) that is used for dock lines that has some give that might be useful. It's a length of rubber with holes on both ends. Line goes through one hole, then is wrapped around the rubber several times and then goes through the other end hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    Sportsmans has replacement tips for halibut harpoons for $29.99. I got a couple spares just in case. I keep two spares for each harpoons.
    Next question.... I use parachute cord hooked to my harpoon tips. It stretches if a fish has the gumption to thrash after stuck with the harpoon. Unfortunately even with gloves on you can get your hands hurt bad (lesson learned the hard way) if you aren't really careful with it. Is there a better thicker solution that will still effectively tie on to the harpoon cable?

Wow. I actually agree with Muttley on this one, both in terms of the topic, as well as the highjack of the thread to attack him. He didn't use the 'I' word or anything.

Anyway, I use the same basic pointed harpoon tip with a stainless cable, which I attach to a rope, and then either to a cleat or to a buoy. I think I will try the buoy thing next time, since harpooning a big halibut and then having him take the rope like it is attached to a pickup until it hits the cleat with a thud seems like a place for someone to get hurt.

I also resist the urge to get out firearms. It seems like people call fo this when then see a big fish, and everyone is amped up I just don't want to add a firearm to the mix, although I understand others do this on a regular basis without issue.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Firearms are unnecessary IMO, but can be fun.

I've used the harpoons described here and a flying gaff.. Both work fine.

I used to use the buoy method until 1993. We where fishing off Red Head out of Valdez when we hooked a very large halibut. The customer reeled up the fish and when it turn side ways to the stern of my boat we saw that it was just a foot shorter than the width of my boat which was 10ft. No problem got the harp out with the attached line and buoy then struck the halibut. I had about 30ft of line on the top side attached to a 20ft down line to the harpon. The buoy was an A4 in size. Any way the fish pulled the line out like normal and every thing was going as planned when all of a sudden the buoy went under water. Could not believe it as I used that same buoy to pull my anchor and I had never pulled that thing under useing the boat. The next thing that happened was the buoy shoot about 10ft out of the water. We pulled it back in and the line just above where the harpoon hooked up was shreded. My guess as I did not see any killer whales is that a very large salmon shark took that halibut. If I had a gun or a bang stick that halibut would have been dead. When you fish every day you hear the stories about the halibut getting away that have been harpooned because of various reasons. Number one reason. 1. Harpoon does not turn and pulls back out after striking halibut. When you stike a halibut you have to push the harpoon all the way threw the fish and when pulling it back out you give it a twist so the harpoon will set and not pull back out the same hole. Also make sure that the inside of the harpoon is clean and comes off easy from the lance. 2. Harpoon placement. Best spot that I have found is going straight threw the halibuts eye. It give the maxium amount of control. Second spot is the hump or back just below the head in the back area. The worst spot is the stomach as the harpoon can pull out and the gill plate as the harpoon may not even pierce it. 3. Equipment Failure The crimp that holds the harpoon on can break at the crimp. Metal fatigue sets in and a quick jerk can break it. 4. Not secureing the tag line. Failure to maintain control of the line can lose the fish, injury you, and lose your gear. When bring the halibut on the boat make sure that you secure the fishing weight and maintain control of the fish. When I commercial fished for Halibut we never shot any of them we just pulled them in stun them with a club, cut them to let them bled out, and the once they bled out we gutted them out, then put them on ice.

Thanks ,I was just wondering as I have seen several different ones thats why I asked what one was better over the other if any. Thought since the muzzy was holding gators it should work for hailbut
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

As far as type I like the one that had square sides that goes into a sharp point. It is a little heavier that the round harpoons, holds its edge better, and is easy to resharpen with a flat file. I purchased them either at B&J Commerical in Anchorage or at Sentry Hardware Fairbanks.

When using a buoy, any concern with the line getting caught up in the outdrive or outboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks ,I was just wondering as I have seen several different ones thats why I asked what one was better over the other if any. Thought since the muzzy was holding gators it should work for hailbut
    I guess I'm confused by your statement about "the muzzy holding a gator." What exactly are you referencing there?

I've never seen any other type than the ones I've seen here in Homer at the Gear Shed, Ulmer's and the Sport Shed. That's why I asked if their were different kinds. I've never seen the "square sided" ones that captaindd speaks of.

I do know that the "cylindrical ones with a sharp point on them that have a long piece of stainless cable attached to them" that you can purchase here around Homer work fine for me. If you go through the halibut anywhere in the head/gill plate area about the only way they're going to break loose is if the halibut loses it's head while you're fighting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast