Thread: New Gear For 2011?

Default New Gear For 2011?

What gear are you planning to add for the upcoming season?

I'm going to try telescoping spinning rods for my kids this year. I picked up two at Sportsman's today. These will only be for greyling/smaller trout while floating. I'm hoping that when they stop fishing they can simply be collapsed and easily stowed vs. trying to find a place out of the way of people, dogs, tree branches etc. At only $15 I figure it's worth a try.

Mrs. Claus gave me a Carlson 4" barrel pump. My "starter" Wonder Pump will probably see less use now.

I also need a ....., and a......., and a.......... The list goes on and on.

Thumbs up Backcountry Boiler.

I have one of these coming, from here.

Default Event material- NRS drysuit

I bought one of these halfway through last season and really like it. Alittle cheaper than a Kokotat, but I will have to see how the durability is. This material really breathes well, and the suit is supple/flexable, and the water even beads off the suit amazingly well. The zipper which goes over the shoulder, at first glance, seems like it may be a bit annoying, but that is not the case at all. They come with, or without, the sprayskirt tunnel, and those with it are a superior design, I don't leak and therefore sit in no water.
    At any rate, if you need a new one, check them out.

Default Bear fences

Has anyone used these? We want to do more camping along some of our favorite streams so we can fish in the evenings, but it is not that fun to me when I can't sleep. Do these work, are they practical? I DO NOT want to end up like that silly guy who tried to make friends with bears, so practical self defense measures are my approach, not harmony.

How bout a new boat for 2011. The Aire Cougar is back...limited production though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEKD3dcLjg

Im thinking some twin, bow mounted spud guns, but more than likely some fishin rod holders.

Got my wife and I Kokatat drysuits for her B-day for using in our packrafts. Should make those drizzly days in splashy Class II or more for 8 hours a lot more enjoyable.

I'm also adding another bear fence. My wife picked up a UDAP kit from Boondocks last spring at the sportsman's show for $180. I know you can build your own for less, but I liked the UDAP kit. The fence is compact, easy to set up, and so far has allowed me to sleep better. I'm going to add another for an upcoming late summer caribou float hunt in the Brooks Range. We used our single kit last year to surround the tent and boat while on the same river. I'd like a separate fence around the tent/camp and another farther away surrounding the boat and meat. So far I've not bear tracks along the fence line which would completely convince me of their effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by gspd750 View Post
    How bout a new boat for 2011. The Aire Cougar is back...limited production though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEKD3dcLjg
    I did some of my first float hunts with the Cougar and the Panther, a slightly shorter version of the same boat. Perhaps the best big-load hauler for floating out there, if you need something low to the water (less wind resistance), with tons of room to spread out (flat floor instead of the drop floor you get with single tube boats) and outboard motor capability. I ran one on Skilak Lake with a 25-horse prop and it flew. Great hunting rig to be sure...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

goeaux, you need to clear your PM inbox before I can reply to your query.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've got to finish buying seats and fine tune the frame. Maybe a motor mount for crossing skilak.

I agree on the helmet camera. It would be a great way to share adventures you regularly could not photograph.

Also, the NRS Big Earl SUP Board would be cool to have on a trip. It would be a blast to inflate this thing at camp and go out and surf some waves. Or, take a break from rowing, and get a quick work out in doing some stand up paddling. The thing weighs about 30lbs, so it would not be totally out of the question to bring it on a fly-out. The thousand dollar price tag seems a little steep tho.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...4&pdeptid=2363

Josh

Wow!

That's almost the cost of an Alpacka Raft!

Default Tropos material

Has anyone used these types of Kokatat suits?
    Thanks,
    MO

selling the hardshell kayak, getting into alpacas. may sell the aire lion 14 as well.

Mark Oathout, I've not tried Tropos, but I do like Kokatat suits. They fit me well, with lots of movement freedom. But one guy on my last Grand trip had a new Kokatat semi-dry suit, complete with booties and latex wrists but a neoprene neck seal. He said that suit was Tropos and complained that the fabric leaked. He hated it. No visible holes, but as soon as he got in the water he started feeling water seeping in from all over. He routinely poured water out of it on days he was in the ducky.

I'm using a Triton fabric NRS suit now, but I'm tired of breathable suits that don't breath well enough. My next suit's going to be eVent unless there's something that breaths better than that when I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Has anyone used these types of Kokatat suits?
    Thanks,
    MO
    Mark, I almost went the Tropos route. But read a couple reviews similar to Jim's and it was enough for me to go with the standard gold & blue goretex ones. We'll see how it goes.

Default Thanks guys

Hey Jim,
    I bought an Event last year and love it. I was asking about the Tropos because the kids grow to fast, and whoever told me that kayaking was a cheap sport did not have kids. lol I think I will suck it up and avoid Tropos.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Again just my thoughts-- ALASKA and SIBERIA are non-forgiving.. Have a 15 yr . old KOKATAT- Gore-Tex drysuit-- Still keeping me dry, have used her for so many first descents as well as a bivi-sack multi times and am still here. And for what it's worth IK boats are what i love the most!!!! If you want what works- why not just buy the best to start with?? We really do still make quality equipment here in the USA!!??
    $ come and $ go-- it's that simple.
    Goo