Thread: belt slipping

Default belt slipping

Hi to all.
    I have a 98 Yamaha Mountain max 700 triple. The belt started slipping a while back; I am not quite sure if it is the belt or the clutch. The Belt is only a few years old but only has a couple hundred miles on it.
    Is this a simple fix or a major fix? I also noticed that the wheel that the belt is on that collapse on the belt is very smooth to the touch. Can that be too smooth and not catch the belt as fast as it should.

I have not been able to find anything on the internet to let me self correct the problem.
    Thanks for any help out there.

Regards

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Check to make sure you have the right belt. It is possible that you ended up with a narrower belt and it has finally worn too narrow for the clutch to grab.

Sitting still, the belt should be about 1/8" above flush on the secondary clutch. If it is below flush, it is either really worn or not the correct belt.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

you might try checking your belt deflection, you might need to add a shim on your secondary(assuming that is how you adjust belt deflection on the secondary on your rig), you can also scuff your clutch sheaves with some emery cloth and then clean them in some warm soapy water with some steel wool, i like to pull my clutches off every 500 miles or so and clean em up and inspect them to make sure they are good to go, i check the belt deflection and adjust it if needed when i put on new belts, also inspect your belt see if its starting to cord or is worn out, good luck with your rig

Remove the belt. Clean all 4 clutch sheaves with Scotchbrite. It's easy to do with the clutches installed on the sled. You need to remove the old rubber residue and deglaze the surfaces. I'd pitch the belt or at least replace it with new and reserve the old one as a spare. Even then I'd scrub the old belt in the sink using hot water and dish soap before I carried it as a spare. Break in any new belts before you lay the whip to the machine. Learn to tip of lift the rear of the sled to allow you to warm the belt before you ride. Little things will lead to better belt performance. The '98 MM is a great sled. Yours just needs a little love.

Thanks Gents i will be getting back in a few days and will get started on these tips. Is there anything i need to do in order to take off the shieves?

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Read my post again. You do not need to remove the clutches. Using Scotchbrite on the clutches is normal maintenance. I do it whenever I'm doing casual maintenance like greasing the skid.

Everything above is sound advice. I will add the one trick I like to use with new belts is to run them thru the dishwasher with washer soap but DO NOT USE THE DRY CYCLE.....this will remove any release agent or any other nasties that was use during the manufacturing process. Washing them also you find that you do need to have a prolong "belt break-in".

Look to see at what point your belt is slipping. You should see a black line on the clutch and hopefully not a burn thru. It could also be a broken spring or all your weights may not be working correctly. Also could be a bad secondary spring.

PM if you need a second hand.

hey i forgot to say also clean out the whole clutch compartment area while your at it might as well get the dust and debris outta there right? and i think you might as well pull ur clutches off when u clean them, its easy enough takes about one minute tops to get em both off and on anyways, plus it sucks when u don't pull your primary off for a few thousand miles and its stuck on like bit**, taking them off you'll be able to bring em inside and giv them the cleaning they deserve in a nice hot soapy bath with a brush n steel wool.... lemme tell you one thing though just in case you don't know, don't touch your clutches with any petroleum product... some people have been ignorant enough to go clean em with wd40 or brake cleaner or carb cleaner or something and it soaks in the metal a little bit and comes out forever and causes slippage indefinitly... anyways yep everybodys advice sounds good man, you should be able to figure out your problem, these forums are great places for sharing info... if ur primary is being a punk and don't wanna come off u can always throw the sled on its side and dump a little bit of oil down the bolt hole, careful to not get any on your clutch sheaves or around there, and it doesn't take too much, then put in ur primary clutch puller and whammo the hydraulic pressure pops it off, its a little better than tightening the hell outta the clutch puller and whackin it with a sledge hammer lol...

Thank guys, i feel a lot better now on this project than before. Once i get home and get it started i will let you know how it works out.
    Thanks again to all.
    T

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''