Thread: beachable boats

Default beachable boats

What's the biggest boat anyone out there beaches to hunt with, park at cabins in PWS, etc? I've intentionally beached boats in other waters, just not in tidal waters.

I've beached my 26' Hewescraft Alaskan Searunner, but only for momentary situations. Not comfortable to do so. Too many stories about trouble re-floating a boat, especially bigger ones in muddy bottoms. If I have to beach, I generally pull back off shore after offloading pax. Maybe I'm just a fraidy-cat, but there you have it.

I beach my 32 footer all the time. I go dry on the flats for clam digging or sometime for maintenance heck sometimes cause I just took the wrong channel and run the boat right out of the water. In the sound I nose my bow up on the gravel beach and hop off all the time. Inevitably I have to touch up my bottom paint in the spring, regardless

was wondering what happens with refloating a boat in muddy bottoms?

Quote Originally Posted by catch n ship View Post
    was wondering what happens with refloating a boat in muddy bottoms?
    The rising water fails to overcome the suction from the mud and the boat fills with water on the next high tide.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have beached a 32 ft boat but only for a few minutes and I was sure the stern was still in deep water. I have also beached a 16' smoker craft, it was high and dry when I got back from a bear hunt in SE. I gathered some logs off the beach and layed them down the beach and started pushing toward the water. in about 1/2 hour I was off and hunting again. Once the guide used the floating with an anchor method, long rope to shore, while pulling the boat and anchor in, the anchor got stuck on a rock, waited 5 hours for the tide to go out. Another time a 20 ft Koffler with 150, the guide thought he had anchored in a deep stream part of the tide flat, when we got back it was high and dry, I tried to push, rock dig it out, it was only about 4 feet from the stream, no way. I finally called my friends on the VHF and they came and got us. I would not park a boat on the beach that weighed more than a couple people could push. I always look for a rock outcropping to anchor next to, I go ashore then push the boat back out with a rope to the shore tied to a tree. A company makes a bungie cord style anchor rope that makes it easier to park in deeper water. Good Luck,

We did this this year on a hunt. Let it go dry in muddy bottom on a low tide, boat went dry on zero and below which happened between 8 pm to 1 am. We were in a place where we could not anchor really well. The first nite I was worried this could happen, (seems like out there I turn into a worry wort), but it didnt and we did this about 4 nights. It was really nice not to worry about the boat when out hunting and in the night.
    I have a 26 olympic. Has this actually happened?? The mud I was on I could take my oar and push into the mud easily a foot or so. The mud seemed like the pores kind. Was really happy with the outcome and was planning on doing it again. we tied off to a tree and placed the anchor out back. we had 60 mph winds and we were cozy.

When I worked in Bristol Bay we beached our 32x14 gill netter all the time. We always where tied together with another boat so we would not tip over. Only scary time was when the weather came up and there were 15' waves breaking on the back of the boat as the tide came in... its not fun getting woken up and told to put on your survival suit.

I would think if you where careful and avoided very muddy beaches you would be fine... a little scouting would be in order.