Thread: Potage area

Default Potage area

Can a person bait around potage? I have been looking through the regs and old posts and I haven't found anything that says otherwise.. Any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Searunner View Post
    Can a person bait around potage? I have been looking through the regs and old posts and I haven't found anything that says otherwise.. Any insight?
    Meant to ask about PorTage! Must have been the Miller typing..

Meant to ask about PorTage! Must have been the Miller typing..
    Nope! Have to be in unit 7, head of turnagain arm at best, swampy to get to the mtns. I have always wanted to do it though. Around portage, the river and the road to whittier, NO BIG GAME HUNTING. It is in the regs somewhere. Bear valley area is closed too I believe. Dude you gotta do work or have neighbors!!

no baiting around portage area sorry.

What about the area of 14C between Girdwood and Portage up around twenty mile river? It is labeled Remainder of 14 C and has a one bear per year limit and no closed season.... Is there a specific part of the regs that refers specifically to where a person can bait?

Akrstabout
    What do you mean by work or neighbors?

there is no baiting in 14c anywere. There is unti 7 but theres cabin all along the road to potage lake so I would say it be hard to get the correct distance.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    there is no baiting in 14c anywere. There is unti 7 but theres cabin all along the road to potage lake so I would say it be hard to get the correct distance.
    The areas along the Portage Glacier road is in the "Portage Glacier Closed Areas" and is closed to most hunting. Check out areas number 1 under the unit 7 regs for details.

yep your right sorry

Check out the regs specific to bear hunting (pages 25-27 of the book), specifically the last page that lists the areas open to baiting. Unit 14C is not in that list, thus baiting is not allowed.

Portage road is in unit 7, but is restricted under the Portage Glacier Closed Area limits as noted on the first page of the unit 7 regs (top corner of the map).

Hope that helps.

Thanks anchskier! Thats what I was looking for!

What about the area of 14C between Girdwood and Portage up around twenty mile river? It is labeled Remainder of 14 C and has a one bear per year limit and no closed season.... Is there a specific part of the regs that refers specifically to where a person can bait?

Akrstabout
    What do you mean by work or neighbors?
    I mean to get away from people you will have to do leg work. Neighbors aren't too bad if far enough apart. I have a neighbor a couple hundred yards above me. More food for the bears and hard to tell which bait they will hit at what time. Might hit theirs early and yours later. Better to do work and get away. Don't mean to sound rude or anything. Just saying it how it is.

Look away from 14c! Try and make it legal if you want, but it is not. Like I said before, unit 7 is hit pretty hard. Go hiking and you will find old bait stations, either barrels there or signs of tree stands or stands still up in the trees that are built in. Good times though. Have fun.

Thousands of Massive Monster Black Bears on the Hope Road. (Disclaimer: I have a covert agenda to snooker others into extermination the Black Bass'turds).

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thousands of Massive Monster Black Bears on the Hope Road. (Disclaimer: I have a covert agenda to snooker others into extermination the Black Bass'turds).
    I will be down there this year hunting the station my coworker used last year from a buddy. I got confirmation/permission today. Like mentioned, lots of baits in the area there. Most seem to be bow hunters. I can't wait for may to get here!! I will do my best for you AGL4 now!! Gotta keep my bear streak going.