Thread: Adding Friends, what is that all about ?

Default Adding Friends, what is that all about ?

Can anyone explain what the "Add as Friend" thing is all about,
    If someone sends the friend request thing to me, am I supposed to respond more than accepting the request ?
    Considered rude to not do anything more ??

Is there some advantage to having someone as a friend vs. otherwise, I recently found that some have their albums open to Friends only, what else is there?

I really have no idea, no Internet Networking/Socializing experience here, so Just wondering

Also the Groups part of this Forums, what is that all about?

One more question, after deleting a visitor message, can I delete the whole thing, as opposed to having "Message deleted by Kodiakrain" on there indefinitely ?

Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Can anyone explain what the "Add as Friend" thing is all about,
    If someone sends the friend request thing to me, am I supposed to respond more than accepting the request ?
    Considered rude to not do anything more ??

Is there some advantage to having someone as a friend vs. otherwise, I recently found that some have their albums open to Friends only, what else is there?
    Having lots of friends gives you incredible street cred on this site! Other than that it makes it quicker and easier to find and interact through PM's and such with those that are on your friends list. You also may have access to more of the friends profile like albums and other things that some users may choose to hide.

It is not rude to decline if you don't want to play politely decline. I just checked your profile and you have 9 friends...You must have some idea how it works. Click on your quick links at the top of the page and then select open contacts pop up. It will show you which of your friends are online or not...Unless the paranoid ones have their little green dot disabled.

One more question, after deleting a visitor message, can I delete the whole thing, as opposed to having "Message deleted by Kodiakrain" on there indefinitely ?
    I think they call that a soft delete and it is always going to show there. I don't like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I think they call that a soft delete and it is always going to show there. I don't like it either.
    I've seen in the past many helpful mods that easily say just PM them and they'll do some special "click their heels together" that actually does remove it. And yes, unless you do that it still shows up, and shows that you tried to delete it...... which does defy common sense I would think.... Oh well.

Ok, so Familyman, you can answer some of these,
    First, by visiting your page I got the answer to my question of needing to answer the Friend request with a return of some sort.
    I see that I am on your friends list tho I only confirmed yours to me way back when, never have sent one out.
    So it is a two way deal then.

But my other question about groups, Man, FM, you are in a bunch, how did that get started, what's that all about? Just Curious

and Thanks Northriver, that's good info,
    I have a few friends now as I have always responded, "Sure, Most Definitely" and followed instructions to accepting, but I never knew why they are doing that, what the advantages are, like quick links etc.
    So, I'm gettin' it now, are there more reasons to "Be Friendly?"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default I'll tell ya what answers I've got....

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Ok, so Familyman, you can answer some of these,

But my other question about groups, Man, FM, you are in a bunch, how did that get started, what's that all about? Just Curious
    So, I'm gettin' it now, are there more reasons to "Be Friendly?"
    When I meet a member in person, when its a positive encounter (99 percent are) I add them as a "friend". I'm not all into that facebook-friend thing, but this seems different. They can accept or not; I'm not offended if not, and likely don't notice even.

Due to an extremely small minority of contacts on here (just like in real life; go figure) that definitely have not been friendly, I do restrict the seeing of my forum page, albums, and basically everything to those that are friendly my way. I enjoy sharing my pictures afield with those I like to exchange with.

Some of those on my friends list I've spent great times around the campfire with; others I've shared a meal or a drink with, a couple are those I've shared good times solely online with. More than a few are regulars here at my home.

So far as "groups", my opinion is that is an underused feature of this forum software, and I believe that those in charge may purposefully under-use it in order to better benefit the public - meaning that dialogue is what makes this forum successful, and if it happens in "forum groups" that dialogue is restricted to being seen only by that small group. But I can't speak for this forum; that's just my private musing there.

So far as reasons to "be friendly", I can't tell you any. I'm the same in person as I am online and that ticks off some people, and some people do enjoy my company. Simple as that.

I'll answer on what I can, too.

I have a friends list on here just like FamilyMan does. I allow for those on my friends list to see an additional album or two, my visitor messages, and other items that may be pertinent to who I am or direct ways to contact me through a message system. (Skype, Yahoo, AIM...)

For others that visit my profile that are not on my friends list can see a limited view of my profile and only one album that I have allowed to be public. Until I know a person by name, have met them, or feel entirely comfortable with them via communication through this board, a person may not be allowed permissions to see those additional items on my profile.

About the 'Soft Delete', I don't see it that often anymore. You can send a PM to Brian M to request that he takes that off for you so that you don't have to see it on your visitor message area. I am on another board where you can just delete it and it won't show you. I am assuming it's an html issue/glitch, but you are not the only person who has asked about this. There might even be a thread or two about it in this 'Forum Tips' section.

I hope that helped you some.
    Lurker.

Thanks folks, can you tell me how to make some parts of your profile private, like the visitor messages part for example ?
    I'll mess around on there to see if I can find how. Appreciate the tips tho

I'm maybe a bit gullible on the internet information issues, I have been hearing some strange stuff about folks getting tracked down by photos posted on the web and messed with somehow, robbed or whatever bad folks do to others.
    Maybe one of the advantages of living on an island, that is not easy to just cruise on over to,...
    but no doubt, there are strange folks out there wandering the cyberworld

I prefer to imagine almost everyone as a potential friend tho.

Top right of the page click settings. From that page left hand side click My Settings/Profile Privacy. Set privacy options there for several catagories. Don't forget to click save after any changes.

Clear as mud?

Yeah it was, well no, clear as a Mountain Stream, I got it. Thanks North,

How about this question tho, what's the difference between Friends, and Contacts ?

So in case someone sends me confidential Hunt Location info or something by visitor message, and I have the visitor messages on "My Contacts" now, can everyone who has been in contact with me see them?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Yeah it was, well no, clear as a Mountain Stream, I got it. Thanks North,

How about this question tho, what's the difference between Friends, and Contacts ?
    Familyman and I just went through this a few weeks ago. I will try to explain what I/We figured out.

You can add someone as a friend or just as a contact. The only real difference is a friend will show in your friends list and a contact will not.

Depending on your privacy settings both friends and contacts, just friends, or just contacts can see your profile according to how you set it up.

The only benefit I have found to having a contact is this. There are some members here that I do not know at all or for the sake of this explanation "Trust", but I find myself PM'ing, following their posts, and in general have more contact with than others.

Now if I add one of those people to my contact list. I have easy access to finding them and monitoring what their up to. A contact does not necessarily even know he is your contact and there is nothing to accept. All you have to do to add a contact is click settings/my settings/friends and contacts/ type in the user you want to add/hit save.

Now you can click quick links/open contact pop-up and see your new contact.

For example say you like my posts and we have a lot in common and we PM a lot. Ok now you want to send me a PM. If I am not one of your friends or contacts you have to search around for one of my old posts, do a member search to find my profile then select the send PM function.

By having me as a contact you can find and select my profile in 2 easy clicks.

So in case someone sends me confidential Hunt Location info or something by visitor message, and I have the visitor messages on "My Contacts" now, can everyone who has been in contact with me see them?
    Yes & No if you have allowed your visitor messages to be seen by "contacts" then the contacts you have chosen can see it.

Northriver, that is an excellent explanation, I understand fully and appreciate your time helping

Thanks for the PM also, didn't get a chance to call you but I don't think there are any more details needed.

Thanks Again