Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a fan of caribou meat...

Default Not a fan of caribou meat...

Well I got my first caribou this fall and it was a young bull. I have cooked it now many different ways and just did a roast in the crock pot. It reminds me of eating duck meat or kinda like liver. The pepperoni is awesome though. Anyone else think of caribou like this.

Nothing better than Caribou Dogs. We always had most, if not all, of our 'bou turned into sausage-like "hot dogs" at Echo Lake Lockers.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Hit or miss...

I've tried caribou several different ways as well and found it hit or miss...but mostly miss. I love hunting them, but I have to admit that I honestly prefer black bear to caribou. I'm sure many people will disagree with my assesment and attempt to give me different ways to try caribou that may change my mind, but in the end I'm just not that big a fan. I am glad there are people that love caribou though becuse it allows me to trade it for other game that I prefer.

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Nothing better than Caribou Dogs. We always had most, if not all, of our 'bou turned into sausage-like "hot dogs" at Echo Lake Lockers.
    Same here . I'm sure I'll get flamed on this, but in my house, Moose is for cooking and Caribou is for sausage/hot dogs/jerky and such.

It is against the rules to make Moose into anything other than roast, steak. stew and burger.

Mmmm! Caribou dry meat (jerky for you white folks). Can't beat it!

Ok, so I'm not the only one, that's what I was hoping for. The roast in the crock pot turned out real tender but reminded me of eating duck. Moose is way better and I think in the future my caribou will be turned into sausage, pepperoni and jerky.

In our family caribou has always been for sausage...we eat the heck out of moose. I did once harvest some caribou during the winter that was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Well I got my first caribou this fall and it was a young bull. I have cooked it now many different ways and just did a roast in the crock pot. It reminds me of eating duck meat or kinda like liver. The pepperoni is awesome though. Anyone else think of caribou like this.
    When did you shoot it? It is usually good if you shoot it before the rut. When they are in the rut, the meat is tainted with urine.

Ok, so I'm not the only one, that's what I was hoping for. The roast in the crock pot turned out real tender but reminded me of eating duck. Moose is way better and I think in the future my caribou will be turned into sausage, pepperoni and jerky.
    If you have any left then it's not to late. You just went about it the hard way, but you can still thaw and drop it at the processor. At least then you know it will all get used and not just freezer burned.

Make sure you sample everything before you order, or you could be right back where you started from.

Bet he was shot in October, eh?

If you dont shoot them in rut, Caribou meat is very mild, with nothing near "Game" like Whitetail or Antalope.

If it had a Duck/liver taste to it, a common description, it was Rut Meat. Maby not full on, but its taste sometimes lingers till mid December.

I cannot tire of Caribou meat, especcially Prime Aug/Sept Bulls or Febuary/March females , but I cannot eat Rut meat, ever.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I shot my caribou on August 28th, no where near the rut. I don't have much left, I had most made into pepperoni, which was awesome. I'll probably do what I have left into jerky.

No kidding.... ?? late summer and it tasted like duck/liver?

......would be interesting to know why......like was his back severly infected from Warble fly hatches?...were his knees puss/fluid filled? Did he have fat? Was he getting an edge on the big Bulls and was using Viagara??

Ill resign myself to the idea that the Caribou just had 'bad taste' in general.....~~LOL!!~~ at least you dont waste 'em

Yep, Interesting......, and go's to show Ya never know.

Hope you next one tastes better
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    No kidding.... ?? late summer and it tasted like duck/liver?

......would be interesting to know why......like was his back severly infected from Warble fly hatches?...were his knees puss/fluid filled? Did he have fat?

Ill resign myself to the idea that the Caribou just had 'bad taste' in general.....~~LOL!!~~ at least you dont waste 'em

Yep, Interesting......, and go's to show Ya never know.

Hope you next one tastes better
    I agree. I have had bad caribou and great caribou. Only the ones shot in October had the rutty taste. The early stuff is fantastic.

Every caribou I've taken on the north slope has been fantastic. August and September mostly.....a couple from the first week of Oct. As good as any moose I've had. Folks I've served it to couldn't believe it was caribou. Wife shot a Tier II cow out of Paxon and it was great as well but thats the only one we killed from that herd.

I've also killed a few up out of Bethel in August and it was terrible.....sausage was the only way to eat it.

Where did you shoot yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    Every caribou I've taken on the north slope has been fantastic. August and September mostly.....a couple from the first week of Oct. As good as any moose I've had. Folks I've served it to couldn't believe it was caribou. Wife shot a Tier II cow out of Paxon and it was great as well but thats the only one we killed from that herd.

I've also killed a few up out of Bethel in August and it was terrible.....sausage was the only way to eat it.

Where did you shoot yours?
    The cows don't get rutty. It's only the bulls that drink the urine and get all stank.

I shot him up on the haul road. He looked like a healthy animal, the meat looked and smelled great. I didn't find any warbles or any other parasites. All the meat was trimmed up and super slean before being frozen. I take really great care of all my meat and cut it all myself. I'll take the finished product in if I have burger ground or have other stuff made up. Maybe I just got a odd bull?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    The cows don't get rutty. It's only the bulls that drink the urine and get all stank.
    The ones I shot up by Bethel were cows.......the worst caribou I've ever tried.

Maybe I just got a odd bull?
    Sounds like it......hope I don't get one of those!
    It would be worth giving it another try IMO.

I got a bull in middle August about 90miles south of Prudoe this year and it has that slightly liver taste that I'm not very fond of. I found that cut up into a spicey stew it can be eaten. It's my least favorite meat. Ya gotta keep in mind some people really like liver. Even the heart which I fried in butter the evening I got him, wasn't all that good, and I really like heart. I just won't be eating steaks and roasts from caribou. I haven't tried sausage or jerky yet but that's next.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I must be Lucky.

I've never eaten a bad hunk of Caribou.

It's great stuff. Especially the ribs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast