Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut cove lagoon

Default Halibut cove lagoon

Has anyone fished the lagoon before?
    I will be taking my wife and 3 young boys for 3 nights in mid July.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    We would be happy catching pretty much anything, but something edible preferred.
    Thanks and happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    We would be happy catching pretty much anything, but something edible preferred.
    Check this out: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...kbayfred2.html

And: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...achemakbay.pdf

Some good info there.

There are also "feeder" kings that can be caught around the points outside of the lagoon. They are around all year long, so that's always a possibility, too. And there are quite a few "black bass" around those points, too, and they can be fun on ultralight gear.

If you're looking for halibut there are some to be had in the "inner bay" areas, but for anything bigger than "chickens" you'll want to head out around the Spit a ways.

I guess the big question is, do you have a boat at your disposal? You'll need one to do any serious fishing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I am assuming you are staying at one of the cabins?
    There is "kid fishing" off the dock, you might catch some sculpin and some sole.
    The enhanced king run has failed to amount to much of anything in the last few years, so the likelihood of any kings being there during your stay is pretty slim.
    There is, however, pretty good trout fishing in china poot lake, which is a fairly easy hike from the lagoon cabins.
    As the mutt says, there can be pretty good feeder king fishing in halibut cove, from the cove entrance to petersen point, and on the other side along glacier spit. A couple marked pinnacles in the cove occasionally hold a few rockfish. And some halibut, but you will need a boat..
    The tide is a huge factor getting in and out of the lagoon, if you have your own boat you will likely need about 8' of water (as gauged at the. Halibut cove tidal station) to safely transit the channel.
    I run in and out regularly in my taxi, and i like to have 6.5' minimum. If you are going in in your own boat get a hold of me and i will give you some pointers on the channel.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Hey I thought there was like an april/may run of remote released kings there, am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey I thought there was like an april/may run of remote released kings there, am I wrong?
    I'd say yes.

They did away w/ it then cause it was the earliest king run in the state. I wonder where they got the brood?

They did away w/ it then cause it was the earliest king run in the state. I wonder where they got the brood?
    These are from the same batch as what goes into the Nick Dudiak lagoon(fishin hole) on the Homer spit.
    50% of the fish go into the fishin hole on the spit 25% to the Seldovia lagoon and 25% to the Halibut Cove lagoon.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    I have seen schools of Kings there in mid July before. The only way possible to catch them if they happen to be there at that time is with a snagging hook. They absolutley will not bite a lure or bait they are just too obsessed in finding the non existent spawning stream and spawning. Of course there is no stream so they just circle till they get caught or die.
    Follow Daves advice on the tides and do not tempt fate. It can be like a fast flowing river in the channel when the tide is moving.

Thanks for all the info.
    I have a 22 ft c dory and was definitely planning on doing more research before going through the channel.
    Thanks Homer Dave, I will contact you in June.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have seen schools of Kings there in mid July before. The only way possible to catch them if they happen to be there at that time is with a snagging hook. They absolutley will not bite a lure or bait they are just too obsessed in finding the non existent spawning stream and spawning. Of course there is no stream so they just circle till they get caught or die.
    Follow Daves advice on the tides and do not tempt fate. It can be like a fast flowing river in the channel when the tide is moving.
    Actually, as you'll see from the links I posted they are catchable with various lures and with salmon egg clusters just like in the fishing lagoon on the Spit. No, they aren't actively feeding, but, just like other places like the Kenai River, they will strike various lures and salmon eggs.

And the problem with getting in and out of the channel at less than about 6' is not the speed of the current, but that at anything less than that you will hit bottom. Not sure if that's clear from what has been posted here. I don't know how familiar you are with tides in K-Bay, but on a REALLY BIG tide change day there's about a 28 ft. difference between low and high tide. In other words, things that are 27 ft. deep at high tide will rip the bottom of your hull out at low. I'm sorry for those of you that might think that's obvious, but some people don't quite understand that and I don't want anyone having a bad day out there for not quite getting it if they don't have the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    .... as you'll see from the links I posted they are catchable with various lures and with salmon egg
    well yeah, but they haven't showed up for the last three years.
    can't catch what ain't there, no matter what your link says....

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    well yeah, but they haven't showed up for the last three years.
    can't catch what ain't there, no matter what your link says....
    I didn't say they have or haven't "showed" up. If they have SHOWN up then they are catchable in ways other than snagging.

And the main point of my post was to warn someone that might not realize it that the danger of going in and out of that lagoon is the water DEPTH and not the speed of the current. Not everyone is an expert on K-Bay like you are Dave and I just want to be sure that someone that isn't quite familiar with the way things are around here isn't going to have a crappy day because they ripped a hole in the bottom or their boat.

And the main point of my post was to warn someone that might not realize.....
    really?
    and here i thought it was just because you like to have "the last word" on as many threads as possible.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    really?
    and here i thought it was just because you like to have "the last word" on as many threads as possible.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Glad to see you're so concerned about the welfare of others, Dave.

i had this friend that was a Scotsman, he was the Doyon 141 welder. He claimed there was a remote release of kings in halibut cove that started showing up around the end of April. Mut if I were you I would check it out. I guess they just swim around in circles and people catch them w/ flyrods off some sort of floating dock. I've never been there but there are huge fish averaging 30+. I can't believe mut didn't know about this, maybe the other charter guys didn't mention it to keep mut out trolling for the feeders

Actually, as you'll see from the links I posted they are catchable with various lures and with salmon egg clusters just like in the fishing lagoon on the Spit. No, they aren't actively feeding, but, just like other places like the Kenai River, they will strike various lures and salmon eggs.
    I understand when they first show up they are very catchable on lures and bait.
    Come mid July I guarantee there is not a lure or bait that will work . Other than a snagging hook that is.
    They are no longer interested in food they just want to spawn or die trying.
    I was there with a buddy his 8 year old son and 14year old nephew July 16-18 of 2008 and we threw everything we had at them and we caught three fish total all snagged.
    Others caught fish too and all of those were snagged.
    We could literally see the school of fish (12 to 15 or so)circling and would cast in front of and amongst them and nada a bite for three days. Pixees vibrax you name it we tried it. They wouldn't even look at a lure of any kind. Not a hint that they were interested.
    Crab fishing was good in the bay though.
    Dave why do you suppose they open these lagoons to snagging ? Especially if they can be so easily caught as you insinuate. At some point these fish decide they need to stop eating and spawn or die trying and thats a fact.
    Dave maybe you should try fishing there in early to mid July then come back and comment.Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutkey Crew Fishing View Post
    And the problem with getting in and out of the channel at less than about 6' is not the speed of the current, but that at anything less than that you will hit bottom. Not sure if that's clear from what has been posted here. I don't know how familiar you are with tides in K-Bay, but on a REALLY BIG tide change day there's about a 28 ft. difference between low and high tide. In other words, things that are 27 ft. deep at high tide will rip the bottom of your hull out at low. I'm sorry for those of you that might think that's obvious, but some people don't quite understand that and I don't want anyone having a bad day out there for not quite getting it if they don't have the experience.

I also understand the low tide deal and it is all over state parks website. People often forget about the current in such channels and how it can move your boat around if you are not careful. The channel is very narrow in addition to being very shallow at times with a ripping current

i had this friend that was a Scotsman, he was the Doyon 141 welder. He claimed there was a remote release of kings in halibut cove that started showing up around the end of April. Mut if I were you I would check it out. I guess they just swim around in circles and people catch them w/ flyrods off some sort of floating dock. I've never been there but there are huge fish averaging 30+. I can't believe mut didn't know about this, maybe the other charter guys didn't mention it to keep mut out trolling for the feeders
    I don't believe they are 30+ more like 15-30# with the occasional bigger fish.
    There is a floating public dock. Dock space privlages are given to those with cabin rentals first and the general public second.Usually there is a space left open for the water taxis to use as needed.
    Most charters don't go into the lagoon. I have gone over there lots of times and never seen a charter boat fishing in there.
    Lots of water taxi's though. Witch is great for the tourists or those lacking boats.

Come mid July I guarantee there is not a lure or bait that will work . Other than a snagging hook that is.
    They are no longer interested in food they just want to spawn or die trying.
    I think they quit biting because they've been flogged w/ every known piece of hardware in the muttleycrew tackle box and frankly they're a little freaked out

Dave why do you suppose they open these lagoons to snagging ? Especially if they can be so easily caught as you insinuate. At some point these fish decide they need to stop eating and spawn or die trying and thats a fact.
    I didn't INSINUATE anything. Anyone that has fished for salmon in a "terminal fishery" such as that knows that one day the fish might be biting and then the very next day not. To make a blanket statement like "they won't bite in mid-July" is not necessarily true. And to say it's true because you were "there with a buddy his 8 year old son and 14year old nephew July 16-18 of 2008 and we threw everything we had at them and we caught three fish total all snagged" isn't much proof to me that next July you won't be able to catch kings there with a big ol' gob of eggs. That would be like me saying I fished for silvers on Aug. 20th this year and didn't catch a single one, so there are not any silvers in K-Bay in mid-August. I'm not saying it WON'T be true that you can't catch them on bait/lures, but you never know. The best thing to do if you don't know anyone that knows what's going on there at any point in time is to supply yourself with bait/lures, and also bring a good supply of snagging hooks. I am not opposed to snagging fish in a terminal area like that, so don't get me wrong. I just kind of prefer the feeling of a fish hitting my offering and then FISH ON!

Yup, you're right. The current can be pretty bad. But the MAIN reason you have to watch the depth of the water is because it gets very shallow at lower tides. Not everyone is familiar with what's "all over state parks websites" so I just wanted to point out something to someone that might not have read what is "all over state parks websites." Sorry for worrying about someone that might just not know what they are doing.

To add to the story the days we were there we talked to another fellow who was there with his kids in a large set net type skiff.
    He said he had been trying lures too and the only thing that had worked for him was a snagging hook.He had been limiting out for the previous 3 days.
    Also met another guy from homer who spent the night there with his wife on his bayliner and same story he couldn't catch them on a lure either but hooked up immediatly on a snag hook. Unfortunately he had old line and it spooled him and broke off.
    This is not the only time I have fished this lagoon but is the only time I have tried in July.
    The behavior of these fish looked to me like they were deeply intent on attempting to spawn. There was a 1 or 2" wide trickle of freshwater coming in and they would get as close as possible and try to find a way up this spot . they would come in so shallow they would have their fins out of the water and then turn around and circle again.
    Not once did we see a fish even look towards a lure and we sure tried to get them. Had we had some snag hooks I am sure we would have caught more than the three fish we did manage to snag.
    Have you ever fished the lagoon Dave? This is a serious question. You speak like you have fished it before but do not mention it.
    Like I said I have fished in there before but never in July. I now carry a few snag hooks on my boat for those times when you can spot a school of fish and not get them remotely interested in a lure or bait and snagging is legal.
    It is my opinion that after a certain time fish in these terminal fisheries will refuse to feed and will no longer strike a lure or any kind of bait. That is why they open these areas to snagging. To clean out those last remaining fish that just aren't going to bite so they can be utilized and not rot and stink up the area.
    It usually opens to snagging around June 20th.
    I have stayed in the lagoon several times and really love the area I have plans already to return this year with my girlfriend and her son.
    HomerDave gave good advice on the tide situation in post #3. I just wanted to let the op know to be careful with the current as well. If a person has a boat that is squirrely at all or lacks boating experience they should be aware of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast