Thread: Nabesna Float Hunt for Moose

Default Nabesna Float Hunt for Moose

Anyone have any comments or suggestions for float hunting the Nabesna River?

It has gotten to the INSANE part on #'s of people on a short river. Moose #'s aren't great, but has gotten hammered the past 5 years. Not the best choice, but this is JMO.

Had some rental raft parties up there the past few seasons. Last fall, it was unseasonably 'hot' in terms of weather conditions. They saw tons of Moose tracks, yet an unfamiliar float trip for the DIY party. I can say these good guys had a great time with all the logistics plus gear selection working out perfectly, and I believe they'd like to take more time next time around.

Moose numbers are very low in Unit 12, best to look elsewhere.

My very limited experiences definitely agree with what northway and Chisana posted regarding moose numbers. Also, not the easiest terrain for moose hunting too. Thick veg right up to the bank in many places makes for poor visability from the river. Also, there are not many places to get up high and glass over "moosy" looking habitat. I can think of a few other moose hunting floats that'll cost less, have fewer other hunters and probably have a much better chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    My very limited experiences definitely agree with what northway and Chisana posted regarding moose numbers. Also, not the easiest terrain for moose hunting too. Thick veg right up to the bank in many places makes for poor visability from the river. Also, there are not many places to get up high and glass over "moosy" looking habitat. I can think of a few other moose hunting floats that'll cost less, have fewer other hunters and probably have a much better chance of success.
    Are you willing to share that information?

I have rafted the Nebesna River about 11 times. I enjoy lonely rivers without any boat traffic. Rafting, is when I'm at peace with life.
    Duning the floats I have saw one cow moose. I often pull out and explore for a place to hunt moose. I have saw about four sets of tracks. Not four sets per float trip. But four sets of moose tracks during my 11 float trips.
    Therefore, I have never gone there to hunt moose. From a moose standpoint, The Nebesna River is a biological desert.
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Moose numbers are very low in Unit 12, best to look elsewhere.
    Too many Potlucks in that area? "Moose nose" soup must be some pretty darn good stuff! If they're willing to hunt 'em to extinction!! I know they did right across the highway in 13... Or is it the wolves? Bears? Or are you just trying to keep people from going there?

Moose #'s are just low. I live there and have been up there many times. You can get lucky, but you can get lucky anywhere. Moose #'s are low across unit 12. If you look at moose densities in the flats out there, some of the lowest in the state. That is a fact, but heck if you want to float and see nothing, it is a great river to do so in.

Why are the moose numbers low?

Combination of factors. People, wolves, bears, habitat. Lots of garbage black spruce forest out there that needs to burn, but hasn't for way too long. If we could get some controlled burns, or even natural wildfires, it would surely help the habitat.

I have never been on the Nabesna Rv. so I have no idea if the river can be hunted successfully.
    Let say there lots of moose, are they, cows and calves or bulls? Are the bulls legal?
    Areas next to rivers are good area to finds cows and calves not bulls. How are you going to hunt the river, floating? Floating is not hunting, calling, stalking, glassing is hunting, unless you expect to find a legal bull standing on a sand bar waiting for you to float by, what is your plan B?
    I would think there are hunters who know where to hunt the Nabesna Rv., good luck getting them to tell you. You also need to know when and how to hunt the area not just where.

When ever I read a post on hunting a area I wonder why people do that, if you ask me about an area I hunt I would not lye, I would be so miss leading you would think I was Obama.

Concerning moose populations and moose hunting near the Nebesna River.....don't overthink the info we have offer up.
    Ya can hunt there all ya want and somebody may find a bull. But not many bulls will be shot 'cause bull moose, any moose, ain't alive there. The areas near the Nebesna River is a biological No-Moose zone. When I say it is a poor moose hunting area I am not being misleading. It it was a good or great area, and I enjoyed hunting moose there, I simply would not contribute to that thread.

OK, go ahead and overthink all this info. Go ahead and hunt there. You may be the guy who whacks a bull. Or more likely you will be among the guys who just spent their two week vacation learning where not to hunt moose. That is part of hunting also.

Onward and upward....dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Concerning moose populations and moose hunting near the Nebesna River.....don't overthink the info we have offer up.
    Ya can hunt there all ya want and somebody may find a bull. But not many bulls will be shot 'cause bull moose, any moose, ain't alive there. The areas near the Nebesna River is a biological No-Moose zone. When I say it is a poor moose hunting area I am not being misleading. It it was a good or great area, and I enjoyed hunting moose there, I simply would not contribute to that thread.

OK, go ahead and overthink all this info. Go ahead and hunt there. You may be the guy who whacks a bull. Or more likely you will be among the guys who just spent their two week vacation learning where not to hunt moose. That is part of hunting also.

Onward and upward....dennis

Well said Dennis!

Some great posts in this thread by Dennis and Northway. We've beat it to death, but the Nabesna River just ain't that great for moose. There are some unique moose hunting opportunities in Unit 12, but most of us will never be able to take advantage of them. That doesn't change the fact that moose numbers are low in Unit 12. I have no idea why, but Northway covered the most likely reasons.

...and 40 Mile Air in Tok will fly you up the river for only $1600.00!

They will fly you wherever you tell them to. For money.. What's your point?