Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly/Brown bear gun

Default Grizzly/Brown bear gun

I plan an going brown bear hunting in the next few years and was wondering what would be the best choice of weapon? I currently have a BLR in 450 Marlin shooting 350 gr. factory Hornaday ammo, which should be fine within 100 yd. I think? I am planning on buying a new gun very soon my choices are: The new Model 70 in 338wm, CZ in 375 H&H, CZ in 458 LOTT, Sako 85 Kodiak in 375 H&H. I am not at all recoil sensitive. I would appreciate some feedback but only from people with real world experience.....ie guides and people who have hunted big bears!

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Since you are not recoil sensitive my choice would be the CZ 458 Lott, second would be the CZ 375.
    You can't be over gunned for bears.
    Tennessee

Remington XCR in 375 H&H.

Ron

I have taken two and have helped my friends take two other brown/grizzly bears over the years. All were shot at less than 100 yards and one at 15 yards. All were taken with either a 338WM or 375H&H...I carry a 375H&H, which I consider to be perfect with 270grn TSX's.

Of the 4 you listed the I would stay away from the cz in .375 I believe this is the same as the rem model 798 if so they did a bucther job lengthing the action for the .375. Take a real good look at it before you purchase one. The same action requires very little machineing for the .458 length cartrige. If this is not the same rifle disregard this post and my apologizes to cz.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The CZ is not the same gun JKB, but I still wouldn't pick the CZ as my first choice. Of the choices listed I think the Sako Kodiak would be my first choice as I think they are very well thought out and equipped with many great features right out of the box. As I assume you will be a guided client the Win70 EW in 338 wouldn't b a bad choice either, since your guide will likely have a "stopping rifle". The Model 70 will be lighter and faster on the followup than a 458, as well as flatter shooting.

But if I had the coin and was in the market, I'd still buy the Kodiak.

Thanks for the correction kid
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Rebarrel a CZ to .500 A-Square. You have a vast choice of projectiles, and you can load them down to subsonic up to 600 grains at 2450fps. Trust me, at that level recoil is on a different level than anything you've ever experienced. But 600 grains at 2000 fps is completely within reason; with a little practice 2150 to 2200fps is attainable.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Look at the ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375RCM. Ammo is pretty easy to find and it shoots 150FPS faster with much less recoil than any other .375H&H I have ever shot.... Not like the .375H&H recoils that bad anyways. If your going to buy a rifle for your brown beat hunt, I would suggest to you that .338 is absolutly minnumum for the reason being that you might have to stop one at point blank range and a .375 is much better suited for that. You might end up hitting a 4 inch alder branch before the bullet hits the bear... Just some things to think about in a 1/2 second you might have to react and shoot at 10 yards. But most importantly get something you can shoot without flinching and your confident with....

Default Ruger Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    Look at the ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375RCM. Ammo is pretty easy to find and it shoots 150FPS faster with much less recoil than any other .375H&H I have ever shot.... Not like the .375H&H recoils that bad anyways. If your going to buy a rifle for your brown beat hunt, I would suggest to you that .338 is absolutly minnumum
    Santa just brought me that exact rifle chambered for .338, synthetic stock and stainless barrel. It comes with 1 inch scope rings.

I've just now put a 42mm Pentax scope and neoprene sling on it. Haven't shot it yet. Ballistic stats are great for this round, and the rifle just feels good when you hold it.

Reading up on it, Hornady and Ruger worked hand in hand to produce a .338 (and other rounds) that fly faster and flatter with less recoil and muzzle flash than the present state of the art, using less powder and needing far less barrel length; mine is 20 inch. The rifle weighs in at a mere 6.75 pounds and it has a decent sized butt pad integral with the stock.

Wonderful iron sights came on it; I almost hated to scope it.

The cartridges are very stubby/short compared with a normal 30.06 and the action is short/quick. Very very nice.

You should be very happy with what santa brought you! How do you like that pentax by the way? I have not heard to many good things about them and have not ever owned one.

You should be very happy with what santa brought you! How do you like that pentax by the way? I have not heard to many good things about them and have not ever owned one.
    Still haven't shot it, as I'm working thru an issue with getting scope flip-ups on, despite the large 42mm scope using stock rings. I'm pretty sure its a solvable problem, but will involve again removing/reinstalling the scope to install, so no shooting until that's done. I'm too cheap to sight it in twice.

So far, it looks good. Gathers a lot of light.

obviously the best rifle of choice is the one that you handle well and shoot well but in this case....go with anyone of them but has the requirements you appreciate in handling ie...balance, pointability and looks, money being no object. The .338 win mag is perfect but so is a .375 caliber and on and on....I'm getting a .458 win mag built on a commercial mauser as we speak. Big frontal and lots of "hit" and put the boots to em type shots. I've killed lots of grizz and moose with my .457 WWG yrs. back..sold it due to the "deafening" report from the blasted ported 18"bbl. Can't go wrong with the four five eight bullet!

I chose a .375 H&H when I started looking for a brown bear gun. I like the stopping power and decent range, I'll shoot mine out to 300yds. with 300 grain Barnes loaded by Federal, awesome factory rounds which was nice to find since I don't hand load and probably wouldn't bother after seeing what they will do.

What I really like is the common cartridge. Chances are you can find one on many of the trails, villages or small towns in this state. Same is likely true of the .338. I hated the idea of showing up somewhere when the rifle makes it but the suitcase doesn't and the suitcase had the ammo! If its something not so common you may not find it around the village?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I chose a .375 H&H when I started looking for a brown bear gun. I like the stopping power and decent range, I'll shoot mine out to 300yds. with 300 grain Barnes loaded by Federal, awesome factory rounds which was nice to find since I don't hand load and probably wouldn't bother after seeing what they will do.

What I really like is the common cartridge. Chances are you can find one on many of the trails, villages or small towns in this state. Same is likely true of the .338. I hated the idea of showing up somewhere when the rifle makes it but the suitcase doesn't and the suitcase had the ammo! If its something not so common you may not find it around the village?
    That would be a drag, definitely, which is why you but a box of ammo in with the rifle/pistol.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hi all justed joined today,Joe from Kasilof AK.45/70 always been good to me in Marlin Level 400gr-Speer at 1880 FPS good load shoots great.Now looking at 400 Jeffery having double rifle being made in 400 Jeffery from Gordon Harms from State NE ,price the same as Cabelas double rifle they are selling but I can talk to someone as gun is being made and being regulated.I wish everyone a safe 2011.
    Joe

What do folks think about the Zastava Mauser in 9.3x62? Said to be pretty equivalent to a .375H&H in a 30-06 length case, with caliber at .366. I read somewhere that recoil is more like a soft push, at least compared to a .338WM. My old .338 Ruger 77 had quite a wallop. As a European cartridge, it has long been popular for stag, boar, etc. and I read that it has long been used in Africa too and treated as a big bore for large game. Bullets, brass and cartridges are now said to be widely available in the US.

There is a thread here about a group buy for Zastava LH bolt rifles in various calibers for a great price, assuming one can get the delivery from Serbia all right. I have been thinking about .375H&H or .458WM, but I already have plenty of them and a LH bolt Mauser in 9.3x62 might be a reasonably usable choice. Thoughts? Thanks.

Norm

Look at the ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375RCM. Ammo is pretty easy to find and it shoots 150FPS faster with much less recoil than any other .375H&H I have ever shot.... Not like the .375H&H recoils that bad anyways. If your going to buy a rifle for your brown beat hunt, I would suggest to you that .338 is absolutly minnumum for the reason being that you might have to stop one at point blank range and a .375 is much better suited for that. You might end up hitting a 4 inch alder branch before the bullet hits the bear... Just some things to think about in a 1/2 second you might have to react and shoot at 10 yards. But most importantly get something you can shoot without flinching and your confident with....

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    What do folks think about the Zastava Mauser in 9.3x62? Said to be pretty equivalent to a .375H&H in a 30-06 length case, with caliber at .366. I read somewhere that recoil is more like a soft push, at least compared to a .338WM.

Norm
    The 9.3x62 is more comparable to a 35 Whelen than a 375 H&H IMO, but still a great cartridge. In AK I hunt with a 35 Whelen frequently and have never felt under gunned in the least when ranges are kept to 300 yards or so. I like the softer recoil and less gun weight, compared to 338 WM, 375 H&H, etc.

If someone wants a Mauser and needs a LH rifle the Zastava is a good choice. As far as caliber selection, the 9.3x62 would be as good as any and better than most IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I carry a 375H&H, which I consider to be perfect with 270grn TSX's.
    Agreed. Perfect!

I have a friend of mine who is a resident of Canada and he has hunted Grizzly for years with a 358win Savage and now uses a 358win Ruger hawkeye and a 250gr bullet. I have matched his load with my rifle using a 250gr Partition and A-Frame (Partition being more accurate than the A-Frame) moving across my Chrony at 2394-2408fps. If I can go and my economics don't go south, I will be using the 358win and this load. If I die because I am not using one of the Howitzers mentioned above, at least I will have died doing what I like and how I wanted to do it. Although the likely hood of me expiring due to being eaten by a Grizzly will not be very great, since my friend has done extremely well through the years with the 250gr bullet moving between 2350 and 2400fps. I am also sure that opinions will now fly in my direction, but it will be interesting to read the opinions.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast