Thread: The Halibut Zapper!

Default The Halibut Zapper!

I just found mine again. A very handy guy with a charter boat in Deep Creek
    named Al Sherman came up with this idea and it works!

He took a 6' fiberglass antenna and cut the tip off, ran some 10 Ga wire through the center and soldered the wire to the stainless bolt that fit in the hole on the top. he then glued the bolt or tip on with 3M 5200.

the wire goes to a water proof on off switch. From the switch a long wire goes to a small inverter in the cabin of his/my boat.

You can imagine what happens when a 100 pound halibut comes in contact with the tip of the antenna...

Ling cod, even salmon done is a split second right at the surface. Not floppiing, beating shooting..just a dead fish....

Salmon sharks....Not such a good idea. I tried zapping one about five years ago and it would seize up when is was getting zapped but when I swtiched it off.....man did the shark get angry...

Anyway thought I would share that clever halibut zapper

"Salmon sharks....Not such a good idea. I tried zapping one about five years ago and it would seize up when is was getting zapped but when I swtiched it off.....man did the shark get angry"

A guy can only have so much fun in a day!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I just found mine again. A very handy guy with a charter boat in Deep Creek
    named Al Sherman came up with this idea and it works!

He took a 6' fiberglass antenna and cut the tip off, ran some 10 Ga wire through the center and soldered the wire to the stainless bolt that fit in the hole on the top. he then glued the bolt or tip on with 3M 5200.

the wire goes to a water proof on off switch. From the switch a long wire goes to a small inverter in the cabin of his/my boat.

You can imagine what happens when a 100 pound halibut comes in contact with the tip of the antenna...

Ling cod, even salmon done is a split second right at the surface. Not floppiing, beating shooting..just a dead fish....

Salmon sharks....Not such a good idea. I tried zapping one about five years ago and it would seize up when is was getting zapped but when I swtiched it off.....man did the shark get angry...

Anyway thought I would share that clever halibut zapper
    Andy,

My mother thought you sent her a picture of the "halibut zapper"

-Ben

boy being the not so electrically inclined person I'd really like to see this. I think the bow I'll be running has an inverter as he's running a small computer for his gps charter plotter (be my first year skippering this boat).

I can see it now..hey stand back, WHA? stand back, zzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaap...oops lmao.

If ya got pics I'd love to see them.

dawn-dan@gci.net

What happens when it's raining (i.e. the thing is wet) and you use it?

Question Do You Know

what size the inverter is?

thanks

kingfisherktn

Default hazards of the device

We had a little 600 w invereter. You really don't need much current.

There is not risk of shock as long and either you wear rubber gloves or it is dry. If you have wet cotton gloves and a metal box hook stuck in a fish and your deckhand named Chad Washburn decides to zap the fish, it can be very uncomfortable....

Default zapper

Thanx--I`ll stick w/ harpoon and .410 snake charmer!

AK Captn. You must really trust your crew and clients as I can only imagine the effect when applied to the proper spot on the human anatomy or the effect on the nearby halibut, or the deckhand with his hands in the water a few feet away.

Default shocking expereince

I acutally quit usinging it years ago after my deckhand, who is now a captian shocked the hell out of me, when I had on wet gloves.

The best part of that was he felt so bad about it, I told him to shock himself to see what it was like and without protest he did it!!! Funny stuff....

I prefer a strong gaff like a top shot www.topshottackle.com and a 410 slug. That way there is no doubt about the outcome of the end game. Even a harpoon can pull out or break - (has happened to me). Now I have one guy with a gaff ready to go and take my shot. Haven't lost one yet in six years of doing it that way.

the Zapper was an intersting experiment though...

AKCAPT said -

"A very handy guy with a charter boat in Deep Creek
    named Al Sherman came up with this idea and it works!"

and then

"I acutally quit usinging it years ago after my deckhand, who is now a captian shocked the hell out of me, when I had on wet gloves."

The second part really should have been mentioned with the first part. I'm no electrician, but this sounded like a bad idea from the beginning.

i'm confused..which end goes in the water? lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'm confused..which end goes in the water? lol
    For proper effect, the end with the bolt screwed in is supposed to go in the mouth of the deckhand....I think.

-Case

Default Halibut zapper?

Wow! Electricity scares me a bit much to be experimenting. I'll stick with a harpoon and my bang stick, thank you. We've boated several dozen halibut over 100# through the years and the method that we've settled on goes like this: Halibut gets hauled to the surface (keep the head underwater or you'll be starting over again). Drive the harpoon just behind the gill plate with the fish laying fairly flat in the water all the way through. Keep your feet out of the line attached to the harpoon head or you could become part of the food chain! Don't tie the line off to a cleat; a really big butt can rip out the harpoon when the slack comes out if the line is tied off. Put a big round bouy on the end instead. Now you have positive control. Bring the fish back around and pop it right between the eyes. The rest of the job is getting the fish in the boat and on ice. We've tried snake charmers, .22's and even a .45 once, but the bang stick works the best. We tried popping a couple before we had a harpoon in them and lost one, so we don't do that anymore....but a homemade electrical device?? Not this guy...and my friend with a pacemaker probably agrees!

A few years ago I started harpooning the fish, then slit their gills. It makes them mad as heck, but every flap of the tail does wonders to bleed them out. Also, when 2 or 3 folks hook up at once, you can just harpoon, slit gills and follow the bouncing orange ball while the next guy gets a turn.

-Case

we sharkhook the bigguns, hang on for a ride. WHen they finally settle down, ya crackem, and gettem hung or hauled in. It left something to be desired at times, no deckhand and clients who couldnt figure out what a gaff was lmao. Hay hooks are the cats meow for hauling in flatties up to 100 to 150lbs or so, stickem and bringem on in, no gaff needed. I prefer to shark hook anything approaching the 100lb mark though. Made some rookie mistakes last summer. Always nice to hear what other skippers are doing. I failed to mention, no guns allowed.

A tip on that shark hook. It's a 19/0 or so big J hook if you're looking for one. Splice it on 10' of rope with an eye splice. On the other end add another eye splice and add a carabenor to it. Makes it quick to snap around a rail, or dont use the carabener and cleat it off or just tie it on the rail. Those big skates the clients think they are catching turned out to be hundy pound flatties a few times, can really suck at the side of the boat trying to tie it off. Also if possible hit the upper jaw and out the top of the head. Never had one pull out, but dont doubt it could happen. One of our boats landed a 420lb flattie this way, worked like a champ.