Thread: piggyback to recycle thread. Handtools and stuff made

Default piggyback to recycle thread. Handtools and stuff made

Living off the grid means hand tools are very important. Hand tools used because you have no power or deciding not to use the genset have multiple uses. Using hand tools takes time and this is not always a negative. Fixing or building things that take time can be used as entertainment after natural light has been used up for priority tasks.

What have you created using hand tools? Coat hooks/racks, shelve, cribbage boards/pins...

My daughter wanted to make a clothes rack the first year we had the lodge and was fixing it up. I took a nail, flattened the tip, filed it to a chisel and she scored our names in a piece of 1x4 with nails to hang our towels and robes from. Good stuff right there.

What have you created? Photos if you have them...

Thanks Alaska4ever for getting these juices going...

George

One of my favorite hand tools is my bowsaw; not really a "start to finish" tool, but I find it indispensable nonetheless(just used it today, actually). Here's a pic of me using it to finish the bird's mouths on some rafters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Living off the grid means hand tools are very important. Hand tools used because you have no power or deciding not to use the genset have multiple uses. Using hand tools takes time and this is not always a negative. Fixing or building things that take time can be used as entertainment after natural light has been used up for priority tasks.

What have you created using hand tools? Coat hooks/racks, shelve, cribbage boards/pins...

My daughter wanted to make a clothes rack the first year we had the lodge and was fixing it up. I took a nail, flattened the tip, filed it to a chisel and she scored our names in a piece of 1x4 with nails to hang our towels and robes from. Good stuff right there.

What have you created? Photos if you have them...

Thanks Alaska4ever for getting these juices going...

George

You're welcome. I think threads like these are very important, informative and interesting to read and reply and share experiences. I don't have pics and this was a long time ago but, like Dick Proenneke, I built a bed using a bow saw, hand auger and drawshave. I was a young man when I did that and I remember being so proud until I laid on it and it fell apart. I forgot to glue it.
    JOHN

The beauty and the pain of doing things like this simulates the parent thread of Vanishing Bushdwellers. Time. You can't get in a hurry with hand tools and living remote. If you hurry you short step things that can be critical (like glue) . Living and moving deep bush is a case of thinking 3-4 times and acting once or it can bite you.

Simple project I attacked was bone cribbage pegs. Took forever but once sanded and polished it was still rough by artistic standards but it was functional and beautiful in my eyes. Lots of file and sand paper work but no electricity involved by choice.

George.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    The beauty and the pain of doing things like this simulates the parent thread of Vanishing Bushdwellers. Time. You can't get in a hurry with hand tools and living remote. If you hurry you short step things that can be critical (like glue) . Living and moving deep bush is a case of thinking 3-4 times and acting once or it can bite you.

Simple project I attacked was bone cribbage pegs. Took forever but once sanded and polished it was still rough by artistic standards but it was functional and beautiful in my eyes. Lots of file and sand paper work but no electricity involved by choice.

George.

I for one am not a fan of doing intricate woodwork. I just don't have the patience. I like to try furniture and such. Sometimes it works out and other times, nope. Then there are things I made and turned out ok just didn't look great.
    JOHN