Thread: 358-9.3x62

Default 358-9.3x62

Hey
    I was just thinking through various wildcatting options... what do you guys think of necking-down a 9.3x62 to .358? Maybe similar to a Norma?

Basicly you would be duplicating a 35 whelen or the improved version at best. I can't see much wrong with the 9.3 x 62 just as it is. However I understand the need to tinker with new stuff!

Thumbs down 358-9.3

go-north,

No, not a 358 Norma, just a 35 Whelen as EKC said. I've hunted with a 9.3x62 necked down to 338, called a 338 Sabi, that's not bad but the 9.3x62 is a better round than the 35 Whelen or the Sabi for most hunting. I don't think we could neck either way with the 9.3 and improve it. Just a plain jane 9.3x62 Mauser is pretty darn good. Good shootin'.

Murphy

Ok...but what about the 9.3x64 brenneke (sp?)? I've heard that for whatever reason it's basically on-par with the 375 HH (is it a wider case?)... would there be any value in necking that down to 358?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Why not just build a 358 STA?

Default 9.3x64

go_north,

Great old round this 9.3x64, and a great beltless case design. Just one little problem, you can't get brass or loaded ammo for it. You would be far better off with the 358 Norma. I mean if you want a big 35 caliber, the Norma is far more available than any other. If you intend to make your own ammo, you could neck up the 338 win or as Allen suggested neck up the 8mm Rem to 358 and have the 358 STA. Or if you're using the fill length case (2.820") what is wrong with the 375 H&H?

The original 9.3x64 is beltless and about the same body diameter as our belted mags and this one is a modern design with minimal taper and strong shoulder angle. The actual dimensions are.

Bullet diameter .366"
    Head diameter .496"
    Body diameter .507" at the base, tapering to ...
    Shoulder diameter .474"
    Shoulder angle 17 degrees
    Case length 2.520"
    Loaded length 3.370" (fits 30-06 length action)
    Ballistics 286 grain bullet at 2650 fps, ME 4480 ft lbs.

Sorry to say it is essentially defunt, but it would be a better caliber than any 358 caliber on the case. Good shootin'.

Murphy

Default 358 Wildcat ?

Quote Originally Posted by go_north
    Hey
    I was just thinking through various wildcatting options... what do you guys think of necking-down a 9.3x62 to .358? Maybe similar to a Norma?

Go North,
    In my humble opinion - - -
    Making a wildcat just to have something different may be an adequate reason to do it, but for me I have to find several reasons to justify such expense. Itís your time and money, so I am certainly not going to say how you should spend it. Iím just offering a suggestion. If the wildcat is too obscure, it will have no practical resale value. Remember, the custom reamer is expensive, and custom dies too.

There are so many cartridges with standard specs available, it is difficult to find even the smallest gap in performance to fill with a wildcat. So performance, generally speaking, is not a good enough reason standing alone. If you want to fit some particular action, use some readily available brass supply, combined with some particular performance goal, plus having the satisfaction of something special that you dreamed up, then perhaps go ahead.

The 35 caliber is pretty well covered with cartridges already existent. 358 Winchester, 35 Whelan, 350 Remington Mag, 358 Norma Mag. 358 STA, and probably others. There are some wildcats based on the 30-06 case with the shoulder moved forward, etc. There is really no need to dream up another 358 wildcat, unless you just really want to.

I did a few wildcats many years ago, and swore off until just recently. Now Iím making a 9.3 wildcat, which I rationalized that I needed before spending the money. I really donít need it, but Iím glad I did it. Never again. Only one. I think this one is going to be satisfying enough to vanquish the urge for another wildcat from now on for me.

Good luck on whatever you decide. It would be interesting to know in particular what you are trying to achieve with this wildcat.

Default .35 dreamin'

If I absolutely couldn't live without a .35 of some sort, I'd be looking for either a Ruger 77 S/S in .350RM or a .358 STA or better yet, both! A Norma would also be welcome into the stable, as would a Whelen and maybe even the .358 Win.

I think out of all of those, the Remmy would be the best bet.

Dave