Thread: Mountain goat recipes needed

Default Mountain goat recipes needed

Is anyone out there willing to give up some recipes for mountain goat? Maybe some marinades as well? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Use it in your fav stew, beef burgandy or chili recipie, goat burger is great too.

marinade in teriyaki sauce, works great.

I love the favor of Goat meat, however it can be on the tough side. I soak mine in buttermilk overnight and beat it with a meat mallet to help tenderize it. I run the ground meat through the grinder twice and find that it is prime after that for about any recipe that you enjoy with ground meat. The meatloaf is my favorite.

Chicken Fried.

Billy Burgers.

Meatloaf.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for your help! Looks like we'll be eating good tonight!

Stid, I saw your recipe (photo) for sheep a'la rebar! Very interesting. Where did you find those up there?

Thanks,
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Thanks for your help! Looks like we'll be eating good tonight!

Stid, I saw your recipe (photo) for sheep a'la rebar! Very interesting. Where did you find those up there?

Thanks,
    John
    Found the rebar in some old mining junk, even found an ammo can with some old blasting caps in it. One mans garbage is another grill.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just had Mt Goat roast yesterday .... via crock pot. YUUUMMMYYY !!!!

I start out with a little EVO in a hot pan and just brown the roast good.

Meanwhile I am cutting white onion and garlic and adding that to the crock pot which is turned on high. A little EVO in there also.

After the roast is good a browned and warmed up a little I put it in the crock pot. Then add left over coffee (Dead Man's Reach) for a little moister. Added a few spices to taste. Rolled the roast around a few time to spread the spices out a bit.

Left on high for a while I add some baby carrots, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and more baby carrots over time.

Kinda makes it's own water to cook in.

Turn to low after a few hours and back up to high for the last hour or so.

TOOOOO GOOOOD !!!!!!!

Wow, I like Muskeg's ideas, especially the Deadmans reach coffee part, (how much there Muskeg, a half cup or so ??)

I am working on some Mt Goat that I think may have been a bit in the rut, recovery down the Mtn. was not ideal by my standards so I have been really trying some ideas as it has a fragrance that I don't really relish, SO,

I have also had Great Success with the Crockpot Mountain Goat Stew,
    not a measurer so I just dump a ton of Carrots all diced up, like four large garden variety, about the same in Potatoes, and Celery, all diced up to 1" or less pcs,
    Start with a small can of Cream of Celery Soup, add a package of Dry Onion Soup mix, Carrots, Celery, Potatoes and have just diced up the lightly browned roast,(approx 1lb of meat) into also 1"or less pcs.

Have not added any spices beyond the basic stuff above, Crockpot on Low all day, eight hours at least, it gets better as you go longer. Becomes a Mt Goat Stew I guess, easily mashed veggies, meat that flakes apart in your mouth.
    It looks too dry at about midday but those veggies will make the moisture/gravy level Just Right, (tho I may try the coffee idea next)

Pretty good, the whole family likes it Really well, Younger Boys, not saying a thing at the table til their bowls are empty,
    then just, "More Please," is the result of all that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !