Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a good charter

Default a good charter

My brother is coming up here this June and I want to take him halibut and salmon fishing. He will be here from June 2nd thru June 8th. I am looking to do a combo charter if possible. I want some good recommendations as who to use. As long as I can drive to the bay to meet with them I don't care where I leave from. Valdez, Homer, it really doesn't matter. I just want to make it a great trip for him. Thanks
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    My brother is coming up here this June and I want to take him halibut and salmon fishing. He will be here from June 2nd thru June 8th. I am looking to do a combo charter if possible. I want some good recommendations as who to use. As long as I can drive to the bay to meet with them I don't care where I leave from. Valdez, Homer, it really doesn't matter. I just want to make it a great trip for him. Thanks
    Not to be repetitive here, but you're going to get about 20 responses and you're going to get about 40 or more different answers. The problem with this site is you aren't allowed to tell people about charter services that people have had bad experiences with, so all you will hear are how great the charter services are that a lot of people seem to love.

First thing to do would be to just do a search for "halibut charters" or "combo charters" among others, and I'm sure you'll come up with about a dozen or more threads dealing with this subject. Weed through them and you'll notice a few trends probably.

My advice would be to take the suggestions you get and go to the websites of the people you hear about. See what they did last summer.

Check out what their pricing structure is in comparison to other charter services and see if it's in line with what you want to spend. There are charter services that you'll hear recommended that charge $300 for a "combo" trip and others that are just as good that will only charge you $200 for the same trip and get you the same fish.

Find out what their policy is for when you leave the dock in the morning and when you come back in---a lot of charter operators bring you back in at a specific time whether you feel like it or not.

Find out if you're going to be stuck on a boat with other people that you might not want to be fishing with. Most charter services are "6-pack" operators and if there's only 2 of you that want to go out you'll be stuck on a boat with 4 other people even if you'd prefer to fish by yourselves. There are operators around here that don't do that if you don't want to do that.

Chat with the captains through emails with them. See if you enjoy their outlook on fishing and if it jibes with your outlook on fishing and then go with your instincts.

Not to sound cynical, but there are a lot of people on this site that have their "favorites" and also the people they don't like. The question you have to ask at that time is how well you know the person that is giving you that advice and whether or not you would trust them to actually give you good advice. I'm not saying you won't get good advice here, but "do your homework" and don't just trust the word of people you've never met.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Valdez sucks for salmon fishing in early June,Good Halibut fishing that time of year though.

Don't fall for, the I'll do the same trip with the same results for a $100 less. There's no way a boat can travel as far as you need to go to catch big Halibut for $100 less. Also It's rarely a problem fishing with strangers on a six pak boat, I get one or two bad mixtures of people out of 60 or 70 trips.

It's not fool proof but one way to research charters,is go to the Valdez and Homer derby sites,see who is bringing in the large fish.

If you want hog lings and halibut go to Seward, Valdez, or Whittier. If you want some salmon trolling and halibut/flounder jigging go to Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post

Don't fall for, the I'll do the same trip with the same results for a $100 less. There's no way a boat can travel as far as you need to go to catch big Halibut for $100 less. Also It's rarely a problem fishing with strangers on a six pak boat, I get one or two bad mixtures of people out of 60 or 70 trips.
    The reasoning for what I said was some charter operators have more overhead, have bigger boats that use a lot more gas, and sometimes provide amenities that some other charter operators don't provide. Thus they charge more. I know captains that usually don't go anywhere other than out to the Chugach Islands to fish. I get clients that don't want to spend 2 hours (or more) out and 2 hours (or more) to get back for their fishing experience. So I take them to spots that I can get to in my boat in half an hour to an hour. No, you're not going to catch a "barn door", but you will catch quality eating halibut, often times fish in the 40 to 70 lb. range, and also have a very good chance of catching a tagged halibut if you're fishing in the Homer Halibut Derby (I don't know about all of them, but I do know that a number of the tagged fish last year were caught within K-Bay. I caught a 2008 tagged fish last year that was still hanging out in k-Bay). Don't hesitate to ask about these things with any potential charter captain you might book with. For example, I can get to halibut fishing spots a lot quicker and with less gas than most bigger boats.

The "stuck on the boat with other people you might not want to fish with" comment is because some charter operators, like me, will take just the people out that book with them. I have a LOT of clients that tell me they would prefer to fish by themselves. I get a lot of husband/wife combos, a lot of families with kids that might not want to be on board with some people that might smoke or use profane language. So keep that in mind, too. It's not a matter of "bad mixtures" of people, it's a matter of whether or not you want an exclusive charter or not. I get quite a few people that like fishing with people they don't know, too, for the experience of meeting new fishing fanatics. Ask yourself which category you fall in and take it from there.

Homer provides some extremely large halibut and lings every summer. Check out the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby winners (http://www.homerhalibutderby.com/standings.htm) from last summer to see what kind of big fish you can possibly catch. I'm not knocking Seward, but I've fished Seward and Homer for 20 years now and I'd pick one over the other only for convenience sake. I used to live in Anchorage and I could drive to Seward in the morning, fish all day and then drive home without any problem. I'm not into that for an Anchorage to Homer fishing adventure.

BTW---I forgot to mention in my previous post that for the time period you plan on fishing your chances of catching salmon are going to be much better in Homer than in Seward in my opinion. There are a LOT of spawning kings and also feeder kings hanging out around these parts at that time of the year. So if you're interested in a combo I'd keep that in mind. I can't speak for Valdez, though, because I've never fished there.

Try a charter out of Nilnilchick for Salmon & butts that early in June. June is pretty early for Seward salmon

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If you want hog lings and halibut go to Seward, Valdez, or Whittier. If you want some salmon trolling and halibut/flounder jigging go to Homer.
    Timing is off a bit for Lings (if he want's to bring 'em home that is)

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Try a charter out of Nilnilchick for Salmon & butts that early in June. June is pretty early for Seward salmon
    NOT trying to be contentious, but I'd try a little bit further south that early. There are spawning kings that will be heading up the inlet for points north at that time, but in my experience your best chances of catching nice kings in the first few days of June will be around the K-Bay to Anchor Point area. My clients caught some nice kings in the Whiskey Gulch area around that time last year.

And the halibut are heading up the inlet from deeper water around then, too. The closer you can get to deeper water spawning grounds the better off you'll be. I'm not saying you won't catch halibut further north, but you're going to maximize your chances the further south you go.

And, yes, as Frostbitten said, you can't KEEP lings in June anywhere around here, so I wouldn't even add that to your equation.

June is the best month for fishing Seward, hands down. There are nice halibut to be caught everywhere in under 150 feet of water and Kings in good numbers both east and west of Seward throughout the month. If I was going to pick the best time to spend the money on a charter in Seward it would be during a big tide set in June. Forget about fishing the smaller tides, go for it when the tide is ripping, best catches come then.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    June is the best month for fishing Seward, hands down. There are nice halibut to be caught everywhere in under 150 feet of water and Kings in good numbers both east and west of Seward throughout the month.
    Honestly AKCAPT, I'm not "arguing" or being "contentious" here, but do you really think the king fishing is "hands down" better in Seward in the first few days of June than it is along the coast from Homer up to Deep Creek? I've fished out of Seward, Homer and Anchor Point for 20 years now and I've never caught nicer kings in that time period than I ever have in the Anchor to Deep Creek stretch.

I'd really love to see some pictures of what kind of kings you've caught out of Seward in that time period. And I'm serious. I'm not screwing around. I NEVER had much luck fishing for kings out of Seward around then and I've never really heard of anyone catching kings like you can catch around Whiskey Gulch and north.

And there sure are some nice halibut being caught out of Homer at that time of year, too. In May last summer there was a 248 lb. halibut entered into the derby, and then four 200+ pound halibut brought in during the month of June. Please, if Seward is "hands down" better please show me some evidence of that.

Once again, not trying to be contentious, just curious. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Honestly AKCAPT, I'm not "arguing" or being "contentious" here, but do you really think the king fishing is "hands down" better in Seward in the first few days of June than it is along the coast from Homer up to Deep Creek? I've fished out of Seward, Homer and Anchor Point for 20 years now and I've never caught nicer kings in that time period than I ever have in the Anchor to Deep Creek stretch.

I'd really love to see some pictures of what kind of kings you've caught out of Seward in that time period. And I'm serious. I'm not screwing around. I NEVER had much luck fishing for kings out of Seward around then and I've never really heard of anyone catching kings like you can catch around Whiskey Gulch and north.

And there sure are some nice halibut being caught out of Homer at that time of year, too. In May last summer there was a 248 lb. halibut entered into the derby, and then four 200+ pound halibut brought in during the month of June. Please, if Seward is "hands down" better please show me some evidence of that.

Once again, not trying to be contentious, just curious. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

Dude,
    we get it " Cook Inlet/ Homer" is the end all be all when it comes to catching halibut and kings, we really do. I'm not trying to pick fight or make this a personal battle here but all threads I have read ends with Homer is better than any other port since you fished all of them. Everyone is entitled to there opinion but all the threads have come back to you have a better chance at catching a king or two... Here is some weights of the top 3 biggest halibut caught in Seward this year...
    http://www.adn.com/2010/07/13/136516...00-seward.html

Happy New Year,
    Ken

Muttely,

AKCAPT did not say that Seward beat Homer "hands down". He said that "June is the best month for Seward, hands down". There is a pretty big differene. By the way, I can confirm that there is some pretty darn good king fishing out of Seward, if you know where to go. I have seen numbers along the lines of limiting the boat for multiple days in a row last summer. The key is to know where the fish are. I am still learning the spots. I also know AKCAPT knows way more spots than I will ever hope to know.

Unless all of the charters are going to add up all their catches for the season, who knows which port is really stronger for kings, and I bet it may change from year to year.

To answer the OP, I think either port would be a fine choice for that time of year, and your success will depend on the charter you choose, the weather, and the luck of the day.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Muttley not sure where you fished out of from Seward, but with timing and a little know how the king fishing can peak for a month or better.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Muttely, By the way, I can confirm that there is some pretty darn good king fishing out of Seward, if you know where to go. I have seen numbers along the lines of limiting the boat for multiple days in a row last summer. The key is to know where the fish are. I am still learning the spots. I also know AKCAPT knows way more spots than I will ever hope to know.
    Well, like I said, I am not trying to be contentious, and a couple of you here seem to be trying to be just that. I don't know why. Even when I try to ask a serious question I have to take $h!1 from a few people for asking a very basic and simple question. Please stop. It is really tiresome to me and to a LOT of other people.

I didn't say he said "Seward beat Homer hands down." I asked if king fishing is "hands down better in the first week of June than it is in Homer. So you know how to read?

No, it's not. Anyone that fishes either of these fisheries will agree with that.

OK. I'll grant you that he did say that "June is the best month to fish Seward," but personally I disagree. I used to fish Seward almost exclusively from mid-June through Oct., and I'd say July is a much better month. Yes, Ken, I do love Homer, and for a good reason. When someone asks for advice where the best place to fish is during a particular time I will speak my mind. That is the point of this forum. The OP asked for advice and I gave it. If you don't like that advice, either disprove it or move on.

To get back to the OP's original post, I'd take Homer in the first week of June over Seward any day. Like I said there are thousands of spawning kings heading up the coast line from Homer up to the Kenai during that period and that doesn't happen around Seward. If you want to prove your point please show me some pictures of those kings that you catch out of Seward in the first week of June.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Muttley not sure where you fished out of from Seward, but with timing and a little know how the king fishing can peak for a month or better.
    Do you have any thing to back that contention up other than it's your opinion, or "it's what I've always heard"? In the 20 years that I've been fishing up here I would never give high accolades to Seward for any kind of "quality" kings. I'd LOVE to see some pictures of them.

So basically you are saying that because you don't have the skills to find the kings, that nobody does?

mutt

Your doing it again can't you read or comprehend what you read. Akcapt never said or implyed that Seward was better. What he said was in his opinion. June was the best month to fish Seward. Thats right the best month to fish Seward is in June. That is what he was saying. I find that interesting because I don't head that way until July thinking thats good. I will say I do have freinds getting not only good catches of kings but also silvers in June. So for me it gives something else to try/explore this summer.

Good God man. AKCAPT did not say king fishing was better hands down. Re-read his words, don't take things out of context, and stop getting your panties in a wad.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So basically you are saying that because you don't have the skills to find the kings, that nobody does?
    What sort of nonsense is this? Your statement doesn't have anything to do with this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Good God man. AKCAPT did not say king fishing was better hands down. Re-read his words, don't take things out of context, and stop getting your panties in a wad.
    I didn't say he did. I asked him if he thought it was. Someone else said that. Duhhhhhhh..... here is what I wrote: "do you really think the king fishing is "hands down" better in Seward in the first few days of June than it is along the coast from Homer up to Deep Creek?" That is called a question. It was NOT a statement. You people need to learn how to read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast