Thread: 257 weatherby problems

Default 257 weatherby problems

I have taken on a project for an older friend of mine. He is 83 and still likes to hunt. He bought a used 257 Weatherby that looks like it was used quite a bit. It came from Montana and it rode around in a truck rack for a while as the blueing is worn off the top of the barrel. He had a used Weatherby scope put on it. He is quite the Weatherby man. Using factory 100 grain Weatherby ammo, I shot it for him and the first shot was about 5" low and 5" to the left.(50 yards) I moved the crosshairs to the bullet hole. The next two were 1" high and about 2" apart. Not too bad I thought. The next one 2" low and 4" to the right. The next one was off the paper?? I am using a lead sled, not much chance for operator error. Scope or barrel shot out?? I am leaning to the scope being bad and going to put a good Leupold on and try it again. I have never shot a gun that was "shot out" so I don't know how it would shoot. Thanks for any input, Mark

Bad scope, mounts loose or rings loose.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Very likely a scope or ring base problem. Even the 257Roy takes a good bit of shooting to torch the throat. Does the bore look bad, any signs of past rustiness?

The bore looks good, shiny and rifling is clearly visible. I did scrub it for him before I shot it. I can't tell about the throat, not sure what a bad throat looks like?? I will try the scope first when I can get to the range and report back. Thanks

I concur, I suspect loose bases or rings, possibly scope. I have a LH Accumark in 257 Roy that shoots sub MOA with 110 grain Accubond handloads. Murderous on deer & makes 400 yard coyote shots nearly routine (with a good rest or off the bipod)....

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    The bore looks good, shiny and rifling is clearly visible. I did scrub it for him before I shot it. I can't tell about the throat, not sure what a bad throat looks like?? I will try the scope first when I can get to the range and report back. Thanks

It normally takes less than a thousand rounds fired, to errode the throat out of a 257 WBY.

The only way to effectively see the throat is with on of the fiber-optic bore scopes that insert in the barrel. IF the the throat is very erroded, it will be obvious.

Also, when you cleaned the bore, did you get all the copper fouling out, just like a bench rest shooter would clean his bore? This can really matter, but does not always.