Thread: strangerinastrangeland

Default strangerinastrangeland

Hey, did you start celebrating the new year early? Haven't heard much from you of late. Miss ya.

Ive been fine, hows about you?

I celebrate the New Year with gun fire.
    Means something to me , just to be able to do that with out remnifycations, as I join my neighbors in their action cycling,noismaking , flamespitting celebration of being an Free Man at the beginning of what we hope to be the best year in our lives yet.

This is the Darkest time of year with about 2 hours of sun and an hour at each end in dusk and dawn. My meat pile is thinning, and we took the new ride into Kotz on a cool 120 mile70MPH R/T smooth ride with the wife, got licened up with tags and all for the delicious animals we want to eat. A great day for a ride, despite a nasty wind from the North last night.
    The wife inked a Sealskin and traded straight across for a Polaris 600 RMK in excellent condition.

Fishing has been good, though we quit recently with the second net, as the Whitefish run is over. Getting wood and travling arent really postable stuff onna Hunting forum and kinda humdrum stuff.

Caught a few Red Fox for the kids at the fishing holes, but havent put in any serious trapping efforts.
    Planned to travle witha fellow forum member today, and hunt tomarrow, and to meet at a shelter cabin on the way to the hunting grounds, but one stupid mistake on my part blew that , as apon our return from Kotz, on the other 1/2 of our tank, we found that the stores here were closed New Years Eve this morning........and so I bought a 5 gallon jug for 60$ only to find I was in serious need of 2 cycle oil.....and noboddy was selling with a 3 day week end ahead.....so driving to Kotzebue was out of the question "But" a friend came to the rescue and put two quarts on the plane for me , which I got around 5pm, well after dark...
    Ended up that the gas station open'd late in the afternoon because a nephew of the wifes came up missing and S&R was riding, so we got in line and were finnally ready to go.....
    As well, the Weather rears its Ugly head into our best efforts....and theres a big storm commin tomarrow evening, and our fellow travler cant miss work for sure.....soooo, the wife and I are off in a couple hours, and the trail should be smooth, as well as broken, 'cause searchers did their riding this after noon, and found him fine.
    Not fun when things dont go as smooth as usual, but theres lotsa other hunts

Luckily , we can hang around for a few days, if need be, (we might just want this ~~LOL!!~~) its is home to us, with the wife and I looking for meat, fur and some resource planning......we might be hunting more than we ever wanted this year, if things work out with some work weve been trying to hook up with. Got spare gas $, friends around and fresh snow which means fresh tracks when Fur walks by.....and Just our luck ...all three oldest kids are here for the holidays, and were jumping ship and leaving them incharge Hahahahah!!!

Who knows, we may reak down a mile outta town, but I'll let ya know how it turns out.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

[QUOTE=strangerinastrangeland;862384]Ive been fine, hows about you?

"I celebrate the New Year with gun fire.
    Means something to me , just to be able to do that with out remnifycations, as I join my neighbors in their action cycling,noismaking , flamespitting celebration of being an Free Man at the beginning of what we hope to be the best year in our lives yet."

I can love that!......one thing about Alaska!....this is about as free as they will let us be in the USA!.....God Bless all and all have a happy new year!

Happy New Year!
    I enjoying going different places and doing different things for new years. This year happened to be a friends wedding/new years party in Misssoula Mt.
    Stanger, you sound like an interesting person in a neat part of the country. My first week or so in AK was in Buckland.

Buckland, eh Goosepilot? We almost went there today.

Today Ox season reopend as a subsistance hunt and the wife and I rode South a couple hours from here, to where we often spend Spring and Summers.
    The plan was to spend a night or few and see what we can come up with.
    The day was breif, but exciting, well worth our time and the ride , 'cept we blew the head gasket and left behind the Beracat with a sled load of stuffs, till the storm passes.

We planned to overnight, but changed our minds when we had two Cow Ox down, skinned and on the sled by 1pm or so.
    Insted we just boogied home on our trail before this storm sets in.

Gotta unpack crap and locate the camera, after I finish my coffee, maby a nap. ~~LOL!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Ive been fine, hows about you?

I celebrate the New Year with gun fire.
    Means something to me , just to be able to do that with out remnifycations, as I join my neighbors in their action cycling,noismaking , flamespitting celebration of being an Free Man at the beginning of what we hope to be the best year in our lives yet.

This is the Darkest time of year with about 2 hours of sun and an hour at each end in dusk and dawn. My meat pile is thinning, and we took the new ride into Kotz on a cool 120 mile70MPH R/T smooth ride with the wife, got licened up with tags and all for the delicious animals we want to eat. A great day for a ride, despite a nasty wind from the North last night.
    The wife inked a Sealskin and traded straight across for a Polaris 600 RMK in excellent condition.

Fishing has been good, though we quit recently with the second net, as the Whitefish run is over. Getting wood and travling arent really postable stuff onna Hunting forum and kinda humdrum stuff.

Caught a few Red Fox for the kids at the fishing holes, but havent put in any serious trapping efforts.
    Planned to travle witha fellow forum member today, and hunt tomarrow, and to meet at a shelter cabin on the way to the hunting grounds, but one stupid mistake on my part blew that , as apon our return from Kotz, on the other 1/2 of our tank, we found that the stores here were closed New Years Eve this morning........and so I bought a 5 gallon jug for 60$ only to find I was in serious need of 2 cycle oil.....and noboddy was selling with a 3 day week end ahead.....so driving to Kotzebue was out of the question "But" a friend came to the rescue and put two quarts on the plane for me , which I got around 5pm, well after dark...
    Ended up that the gas station open'd late in the afternoon because a nephew of the wifes came up missing and S&R was riding, so we got in line and were finnally ready to go.....
    As well, the Weather rears its Ugly head into our best efforts....and theres a big storm commin tomarrow evening, and our fellow travler cant miss work for sure.....soooo, the wife and I are off in a couple hours, and the trail should be smooth, as well as broken, 'cause searchers did their riding this after noon, and found him fine.
    Not fun when things dont go as smooth as usual, but theres lotsa other hunts

Luckily , we can hang around for a few days, if need be, (we might just want this ~~LOL!!~~) its is home to us, with the wife and I looking for meat, fur and some resource planning......we might be hunting more than we ever wanted this year, if things work out with some work weve been trying to hook up with. Got spare gas $, friends around and fresh snow which means fresh tracks when Fur walks by.....and Just our luck ...all three oldest kids are here for the holidays, and were jumping ship and leaving them incharge Hahahahah!!!

Who knows, we may reak down a mile outta town, but I'll let ya know how it turns out.
    Stranger, from your highlighted sentence, it looks like your wife traded an "inked" seal skin for a Polaris snow machine?? What is an inked seal skin? I am out in left field here but if you could find the time I am curious, thanks in advance, Mark

Starting at the turn of the 19th centurey, Native Alaskan Artists went from drawing pictographs on skins and Ivory as decorations to a more Western stayle of artwork, such as portraits and scenes that the artist experianced in their life. This change was reflected in both scrimshaw drawing and other graphic art.
    George Ahgupuk lived here at Noorvik and he went on to become quite famous among Eskimo artists for his ink on Sealskin drawing of turn of the century happenings, such as Ocean Hunting, Caribou Round ups, and Arctic life in general.
    He did the artwork for an exceptional book about Hunting the Arctic by a lifelong Hunter, James K Wells from Noorvik "Ipani Eskimo"
    Several Native artists used Bleached skins for maps and fun drawings way back when to todays modern artists who contenue in their own style.
    The Ink is a one time deal, where mistakes can be serious, as the ink penatrates the leather making erasing impossible, and alotta time and effort go's down the drain.
    She gets a Pretty Penny for her works though.

I like this one.....

Scrimshaw...

And sewing......

I'm busy as welll, but my end product aint worth much$$ ~~LOL!!~~but with her taking such and giving it a cut, a stich or two, maby a cut and hack, drill and sawing and theres gonna be some $$, so we can do it again......

Hi stranger, I'm sending you a PM soon.

Default great swap

Nice! Thanks for posting that, and all the other stuff you do post. I find that 3/4 of the time I try to give you rep, it tells me no; just wanted you to know I was thinkin' well of you and your posts here. Thank you.

Starting at the turn of the 19th centurey, Native Alaskan Artists went from drawing pictographs on skins and Ivory as decorations to a more Western stayle of artwork, such as portraits and scenes that the artist experianced in their life. This change was reflected in both scrimshaw drawing and other graphic art.
    George Ahgupuk lived here at Noorvik and he went on to become quite famous among Eskimo artists for his ink on Sealskin drawing of turn of the century happenings, such as Ocean Hunting, Caribou Round ups, and Arctic life in general.
    He did the artwork for an exceptional book about Hunting the Arctic by a lifelong Hunter, James K Wells from Noorvik "Ipani Eskimo"
    Several Native artists used Bleached skins for maps and fun drawings way back when to todays modern artists who contenue in their own style.
    The Ink is a one time deal, where mistakes can be serious, as the ink penatrates the leather making erasing impossible, and alotta time and effort go's down the drain.
    She gets a Pretty Penny for her works though.

I like this one.....

Scrimshaw...

And sewing......

I'm busy as welll, but my end product aint worth much$$ ~~LOL!!~~but with her taking such and giving it a cut, a stich or two, maby a cut and hack, drill and sawing and theres gonna be some $$, so we can do it again......
    Hey thanks for another learning session, something I really enjoy. I too try to give rep points but have to spread them around more. You have quite the wife there and she cooks and cleans too!!! Glad to see the traditions passing on and I love those inked skins. Keep up the good work and keep posting for us. Always look forward to your adventures. Thanks again, Mark

Very talented young lady Stranger - tell her we really admire her skills!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....