Thread: Street legal atv/utv, is it possible?

Default Street legal atv/utv, is it possible?

I have an 08 Arctic Cat Prowler and was wondering if it would be possible to make it street legal. I know there are a few states that they are leagal with blinkers,windshield etc. I came up from Washington and saw a polaris sportman that was street legal in washington. I am wondering if anyone has seen an atv/utv that is street legal. I live in the valley and know we dont have vehicle inspections. I have seen some laws in different states that people have worked around like getting the title changed so it does not to say off road vehicle.

You should post this question to the ask a trooper forum...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it isn't possible up here (I forget the specifics about why). I've never seen a licensed ATV/UTV up here.

The off road rigs are not made to run on paved roads, it voids there warranty, that being said there are alot of gravel roads up here and with some mods, they should be allowed to and from trails without being towed to said spot. (All it takes is a turn signal, and a rewiew mirror ) If they are even on a public road you are going to get in trouble. I live in a small town. I can see where it would be a problem in a big city, but what do I know, they use golf carts down south in certian spots.

One thing i have noticed about Palmer is that if you look around, you may see places where people have been runing the wheelers. Also keep an eye out for snow machine tracks. I was going to ride in from sutton on my snow machine, but my wife said it was "illegal" to have one on the roads in Palmer. I have seen a few sleds/ atvs at gas stations fueling up, but only on the "outlying" gas stations. Come break up (spring) keep an eye on the ditches they will show where the wheelers are running. I have also seen a couple of 4 wheelers at Carrs in palmer, but never at Fred Meyer... and i think there is an established wheeler trail that runs out of town in front of carrs towards wassila and another that goes south next to the high way across from the fair grounds headed toward anchorage. There isnt one next to the highway towards sutton, unless you go up Buffalo mine road and cross the river where the pavement ends so if you can connect palmer to buffalo mine road without running down the highway, you have it made. Get a good map, i know you can go from at least there to chickaloon and maybe beyond...

Default its too bad that is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    One thing i have noticed about Palmer is that if you look around, you may see places where people have been runing the wheelers....
    We have a two-track next to every road here (Valley, not Palmer). No reason to worry about street legal if you can just ride next to it.

Myself, I gas up at home, but I've seen them in the city where I gas up my truck.

You can probably sneak into Palmer as far as Carrs on the Palm-Wa but that is about it that way, cutting through isn't too hard on snow goose from Palmer F-hook and I have slipped through town a time or three using the road form Palm-Wa over by Palmer high to the Glenn then head off north out of town.

I bought an 06' CRF450R brand new in the fall of 06' with the idea of retiring my XL600R and dualsporting the CRF. I did some research on what was required for the state of Alaska for a legal road worthy bike here. You need a headlight,tail/brakelight,horn and one mirror to be legal.
    I threw lots of money at the bike over the winter to bring it up to snuff and then some knowing the biggest challenge was getting a title when all dirtbike and ATV's Certificate of Origins read "offroad use only" right on them and this is what the DMV needs to issue you a title.
    Everyone of my friends said no way was it gonna happen for me. I went down with the CO for the bike as well as renewal paperwork for my utility trailer,jet boat and one vehicle and lumped it all together. To my surprise I got a plate and registration back for the bike and road it on the roads in Anchorage getting double takes from the Police from time to time but never pulled over. When I sold it to an older fella from Wasilla this past spring over Craigslist I was bombarded by phone calls and emails from guys who have failed at plateing there dirtbikes.
    When I was researching how hard it would be to plate an offroad bike up here I was told Alaska was actively looking into implementing such computer systems used in other states where when your VIN is punched into the DMV's computer one of the digits or numbers in the sequence would throw up a red flag and stop the process right there. This may or may not have happened yet,I don't know.
    As for titleing and plateing a 4 wheeler I don't see that as being remotely possible up here. Back in the day when 3 wheelers were the norm and I was one of the kids tearing up Peters Creek the police always told us (when we actually got caught)that legally any ORV had to be at least 8 foot off the shoulder of any road or street.
    If it were possible it would be cool to see but for me mine would still remain offroad only.