Thread: Yentna River

Default Yentna River

Who was that masked man who wished for more snow?? We awoke this morning ( Dec 31) to 24 " of new powder here at The Luce's Lodge. Good for the powder lovers --bad for hauling freight. A light load of freight at best at least for a few days. Good Luck!! Dave Luce

WOW! It's just raining here in Wasilla. Maybe the snow is the better of 2 evils for you folks up the river. Happy New Year Dave!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

The two yellow marks is my land and Alexander Lake, with mine being farthest North. If anyone can make out the area, I am looking for a trail from the Yentna to my land. My plan was to take my track vehicle by barge up the Yentna and getting off somewhere and head over to my land. Any ideas?

2111.jpg
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    WOW! It's just raining here in Wasilla. Maybe the snow is the better of 2 evils for you folks up the river. Happy New Year Dave!
    i rode out of my house at wasilla today and left when it was practically raining, it was 30 degrees and the snow was really wet, took a trail over off hollywood over via a powerline from my house, it got better the further i went by the time i got to the other side of big lake it was way better and the further down the iron dog trail towards big su the better the snow got, there was really good snow out there on the big su...

There is a trail but a tracked vehicle would be nearly impossible due to swamps/water unless in the winter. If your land is right next to the lake why not take a float plane in? The trail was not in yet out to my place but I did get the back door route in. If you are thinking of taking a track rig in the winter (the only feasable time) you need to wait until the river ice is better like in Feb/March. There are lots of open leads and I would not want to take a heavy rig out there now. Depending on the size of the vehicle, you may need a permit.
    Overland.jpg

alaska4ever, i have been from my cabin just above Luces to Alexander lake and also north of alexander somewhere near your property, there is a trail north of the lake that goes all the way to skwentna. you would definatley have to take your track rig out in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    There is a trail but a tracked vehicle would be nearly impossible due to swamps/water unless in the winter. If your land is right next to the lake why not take a float plane in? The trail was not in yet out to my place but I did get the back door route in. If you are thinking of taking a track rig in the winter (the only feasable time) you need to wait until the river ice is better like in Feb/March. There are lots of open leads and I would not want to take a heavy rig out there now. Depending on the size of the vehicle, you may need a permit.
    Overland.jpg

The only plane that can land on my lake is a Super Cub and to get one, say from willow air is $400 a trip. My track vehicle is 4'x10' and weighs approx. 400lbs.16567794R.jpg
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    alaska4ever, i have been from my cabin just above Luces to Alexander lake and also north of alexander somewhere near your property, there is a trail north of the lake that goes all the way to skwentna. you would definatley have to take your track rig out in the winter.

I know about that trail, just thought I might find one fom the Yentna over to my land to travel during the summer. Although, I have an alternative. There is a lake 1800ft. from me that is about 3000ft long. I just thought it might be fun to scout something out and explore the area more.
    JOHN

This is my track vehicle in action, in case you are interested. This isn't mine but, the same exact model and year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiuTb6lldOY
    JOHN