Thread: Haul Rd. Quetsion?

Question Haul Rd. Quetsion?

Ive done several Caribou bow hunts up on the Haul Rd. and have been successful,but my dad and brother are coming up here next year for a 5 mile pack in hunt.
    We will be going around the end of Aug. the first part of Sept. and I was wondering wich side of the road would be the best side to walk out on.
    Also if you can help with where would be good place to start... Happy Valley,Ice Cut, or any other area along the road.

Any Help would be appreciated

Thanks Brad

Well unless you plan on taking a raft to get across the river, you'll be pretty much limited in heading to the west side of the road. If I had a raft then I would choose the east side.

Well your pretty limited in most spots since the sag runs parallel to the road on the east side of the road. You're not going to be able to cross that in most spots, it's pretty wicked by pump 3. A guy drowned in it two years ago. So west you go, make sure you're in shape and you will do well. Spend a few hours searching through the threads on here and you'll find a lot of different ways to pack your meat back. Sled vs. pack and so on.

Dang you mosshorn, you beat me, we must have been typing at the same time.

use any pipline roads or gravel pit roads you can to get out there further if you hunt near toolick lake to the sag, any mile you hoof it on hard ground beats any distance on the tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    Dang you mosshorn, you beat me, we must have been typing at the same time.
    Ha ha, that's funny!

I remember that I was up there when he whent missing, but Ive crossed it before several times. You just have to know how to and have the right equipment. crossing the sag is not a problem. I was just wondering witch side would be better from history for a rifle hunt.

Like is there more caribou on the east or the west side of the road during that time of the year. end of Aug. 1st of Sept.

I was kinda thinking about Ice Cut area.

When I was there this last year there sure seemed to be a lot more caribou on the other side of the river. I looked at the river in many places and it wasn't even close to being able to wade across. You'd have to find the right spot with lots of braids to get across that thing. Anyway, It was north of Ice cut if I remember right and none of them wanted to cross the river. The thing about it was that there was no one over there and it would have been a great opportunity to get on some HUGE bulls. I was kicking myself for not having a pack raft.

It's been a while since I've done the hike but I always went west at Franklin Bluffs. There's a weather tower or something there on top of the bluff. Nice place to park and camp. There's a river I think toolik, it's about 8 miles back. I always found caribou following it. It mostly just depends on the migration. I would keep your options open.

I was just up there this last fall at the same time you're talking about going and we went west but didn't see much. It was still really warm though so we were thinking they just hadn't started migrating yet. One of my buddys took a decent bull, but the other two were cows. We were just south of prudoe. I can't remember the mile marker or anything. One of the guys we went with has been up there 6 times and he said it was the worst he's seen as far as population. It was my first hunt and it was the hardest hunt I ever been on. Hiking through that tunda is no joke. Especially at night with half a bou on your back. It was fun though. Good luck to ya.