Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent goings-on and pics

Default Recent goings-on and pics

Well, we had a pretty long cold spell:

Yeah, that's -54, hung in the -40s and -50s for a couple of weeks, and trapping wasn't very productive.

So it was a good time to stay inside and work on some fur projects I had orders for. Here's an otter hat ready to sew together, all the pieces cut and laid out:

Sewing liner on our old treadle:

Couple of pics of the finished hat:

continued next post...

Next, to finish up a full beaver hat and beaver mitts, amazing just how much of a beaver the mitts take. Here's the palms and part of thumb and cuffs marked out:

The backs:

And it's always amazing just how large the other thumb pieces are, here they are marked out next to another hide I cut the hat pieces from:

continued next post...

Finished beaver hat and mitts (with wolf trim):

Back out trapping, still very dark and pics haven't been coming out all that well, here we are snaking through the woods, can see why I run the dogs single file:

Still catching marten, some nice dark males recently:

We run a generator to charge batteries in winter, and thought we had enough fuel to last until my daughter flew in over Christmas break, but lo and behold the other fifteen gallons I thought I had in the cache wasn't there, so a friend flew out a load of fuel:

He took the first batch of fur back to town and kids sold it to Bill Wivoda. Thanks Bill for taking over for Dean in Fbks! Bill is a good guy and offers a fair price if you want to sell you fur locally in Fbks.

That's about it, got the lines cleared this week, great to have our daughter back over Christmas break, she is gonna help break new trail so we can get the hill lines in for marten, dogs are j a z z e d with company here too and more motivated this past week.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Perfect. Thanks for taking the time. I love it!

Olin

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

great pics mark.. so is that an old peddle powered sewing machine? i see the rope? cord? coming up on the right side of it in the pic
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince, yeah it's an old Singer treadle, you work the treadle with one of your feet. We took out the 1910 or so actual sewing machine part and replaced it with a more modern 1950s model that still worked off the treadle. Primitive, but it does the job!

Great job on the old sewing machine. Did you sell those wolverine pelts? You have probably told us before but you must tan your own hides? Thanks, Mark

Bushrat,

What kinda fur makes the warmest hats and gloves?

Good thing you posted. Some of the guys were having withdrawals.
    While single string is good for narrow trails, it is somewhat problematic for curvy ones. Tougher to get the longer line around trees, curves, etc. A double string of dogs has it's advantages. The width of the trail the trapper decides to cut is entirely up to the trapper.

I see your rifle in the sled. Was that pic taken during the 2 week Dec. moose season?

Was it 40 below when the cub landed? Is that an 18 or a 12 on cub gear?

Happy New Year, Mark. Blizzard on the west coast today.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Dandy Post, Thanks for sharing.

Thats a sweet look'n otter hat too!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

markopolo, yeah I sold the wolverines, also sold the wolves and some marten. I do tan most of the furs I catch and use to make things from.

elim, really any fur makes a warm hat, more a matter of durability. Marten, for example, is pretty thin and can tear a lot easier than beaver. When I make marten hats I have to put backing on the marten on the skin side to keep it from tearing. With mitts, they have to be made from the more durable thicker hides like beaver because of the hard use they take.

Mike (martentrapper), happy new year to you too, hope you had a good trip down south. It was -50s, -40s during the winter moose season, thought it may be a bust anyway, not many moose were down on the river and I had to break out traplines after all that snow and didn't get into the hills. The rifle in the rig in that one pic is the little Rossi with the .17HMR barrel on it, been carrying that to dispatch any big critters caught or in case I see a fox, has a 4x scope on it.

Was -42 when the cub landed, wasn't much of an inversion that day either, he couldn't find anything warmer than -20 up high at elevation. It's a PA-18.

What are you using for the black leather on the otter hat?

Happy New Year Mark, Martentrapper was right, some of us were starting to get withdraws lol. Hope the weather will cooperate with you so aren't breaking so much trail all the time!
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and tell the story.

Great looking hat and mits!!

Mark,
    Hello Dave here, How are tanning your skins to keep them soft. I've gotten a few beavers so far and would like to make some gloves out of them. I like the idea of trapping your own game and making something out of them for your personnal use but I've never soft tanned anything. I did a bear hid but it's alittle stiff so it's just nailed on the wall. Any suggestion, thanks and great photo's.

Jon, I think the black leather is elk hide, it's commercially tanned.

Dave, beaver is one of the harder hides to tan, I do those with an acid tan. The ones in the pics are commercially tanned. Actually, you can use raw beaver or bear for mitts...as they get used it softens the hide and you can grease it with mink oil or any leather oil and it will get softer over time. Won't last as long as tanned but will last quite a while.

Thanks for the "fix", Mark.

Right on! Awesome photo's and really interesting info. - Ed

Thanks Mark,
    I'll get a few more and have them tanned then I'll try it. They don't need to last forever but long enough so I don't have to make them ever three years. Thanks again for the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast