Thread: Ring Nets for Crab/Shrimp

Default Ring Nets for Crab/Shrimp

Has anyone ever used ring nets for crab or shrimp? Is it worth trying?
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

might work for dungies in shallow water, but with tanners and shrimp both fished awfully deep i don't think that you could keep a ring net on the bottom in one spot, or get it up fast enough to catch anything....
    Alaska Board of Game 2013-2014 tour... "No animal left behind"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/ http://www.obviouslaw.org/

like dave says i have used them for dungies but think you would have problem using them in 300+ ft. of water

I know a guy that wrapped a chum salmon in some old gillnet and wrapped a couple of old reel spools of mono loosely around the mess and attached and old brake drum and sent it to the bottom of Perry Pass and let it soak for a tide. As he was pulling it up from the depth you started to see a big purple blob coming to the surface, you guessed it, 13 jumbo red king crab! I shart (a wet fart) you not! He called it his "tangle gear" I'm pretty sure its a gray area in the subsistence laws tho lol

I've used them in shallow water for dungies and king crab. Can't have any current to speak of or they'll tip and even drag. You need the rings to be pretty deep from top to bottom and you need to haul steady and fast to keep dungies from climbing out. Shrimp? You won't do it in my waters with the depth and current working against you.

I use them for dungies all the time. I usually fish in 50' of very slow moving water, probably no more than 1/4 knot. The rings fish really fast, so I can often drop 2 or 3 and have enough crab for dinner in 15 - 20 minutes. I also like them because they store really well. A friend made some deep water versions by replacing the 3/8" round bar with 3/4".

The prawn fishing I have done has all been in 200' - 400' of water with screaming current. No ring net I have ever seen would work for that kind of fishing.

Big_E

I'd have to agree with the consensus. If you're trying to get tanners in K-Bay I think you'd have a very hard time getting a ring net to the bottom, getting it to the bottom upright, and trying to keep it in one place where tanners tend to hang out around here. And unless you can find a good shallow water shrimp spot you're probably going to have problems there, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com