Thread: 2011 Kodiak Hunt questions

Palmer, AK

Question 2011 Kodiak Hunt questions

I have never been to Kodiak, but want to change that this next fall for a 1-2 week long deer hunt. I have looked into (and know many folks who have done it) the week long hunts on a 60-80 foot boats around 3K, so my questions are away from this area. I am curious what folks think about going over on the ferry with an ATV? How about taking a 28 foot boat over on the ferry? Granted a boat will get you a lot farther than an ATV, but weather for a fall hunt could keep you out of the water all together. What about hopping to one of the many lodges (something I have not looked into at all)? Anyway, I am looking into different insights/experiences that could make an enjoyable hunt with either a bow or rifle Any site referrals are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Big Lake

Economys of scale work best on diy hunts on Kodiak. If you have 4 or more going it's more economical to use a cabin or ferry stuff down. If it's 2 you might be cheaper and have more fun with a lodge and a transporter. I've done both and had a great time ferrying down then flying out to a public use cabin. Also used Raspberry island remote camps both were great.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author