Thread: artic armor: windproof, waterproof, lightweight, extreamly warm.

Default artic armor: windproof, waterproof, lightweight, extreamly warm.

I'm sure like most hunters in the winters of ak your dreaming about next season and sitting in our man caves dreaming about the hunts to come. i spend the down time getting out as much as i can and doing a lot of reasearch on new gear. i found this artical on a seminly revolutionary product. i ordered a jacket for myself and will test it to the fullest this winter. they have a full line of ice fishing gear as well, seems priced well too. has anyone heard or used this product? seems pretty new.
    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub.../SilkIDI.shtml

http://www.idigear.com/index2.php
    Last edited by doogiehauz; 12-31-2010 at 12:53. Reason: forgot website

Never heard of it... Personally it is a pretty big miss not to have a winter camo for winter gear. That market has a limited number of players and would have given them a better foothold if they came up with an innovative pattern.

they do have the hunting lineup from IDI, not as many layers as thier ice fishing gear. Same insulating material but lighter in weight and camo. not exacly a huge variety but mossy oak break up is better than none. camo is big for me too, lot of good stuff out there for mountiering that dosnt come in camo freindly versions for hunters. i got the camo full zip jacket for my first choice, 109 bucks, soon as it gets in i'll give an update to see how i like it. here's the link to the camo jacket, they have another thicker layer but i only need the one insulating layer that says its good for 24 degrees. i like the leightweight concept cant find exacly how much its weight is in oz's, oz are precious and i'd like to know ahead of time. i wanted the jacket for sheep hunts having a light weight, windproof, waterproof jacket for glassing when i get up top. i was going to get the sitka jetstream jacket but hard to swallow the price tag. hope this fits the bill, If nothing else its a warm windproof jacket for 4 wheeling.

http://www.idigear.com/fullzip.php

got it in this last weekend. tried it out in the teen weather we have been having and it works great. it weighs in at 21 ounces and is as claims extreamly warm. i was helping a buddy fix his truck and stayed warm for hours with just a t shirt on. great as it folds up very small in the back pack and is extreamly warm and very wind proof. good find and will use next sheep season.

Wherez it made?

i've had a set of the mossy oak duck blind for about 4 years now. it's great for icefishing and late season stand hunting in the lower 48. i've sat out in 30 below for several hours and wasn't a bit cold. one other nice thing about the stuff is that it floats. the only drawback that i have with the stuff is if your out in the rain for a long time the outer shell soaks up water and adds extra weight. it still keeps you dry though.

Does it breathe at all? Could it be suitable as a mid layer?

I have the jacket. I have been using it as daily wear since this past summer. I have also used it out snowshoeing at 0 degrees with just a long sleeve shirt on and it was actually to warm while moving. I want to get the bibs also. So far what I have found is that for the money it is very good gear. I like the idea that it will allow a person to float if in the water. Could be a life saver some day.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Wherez it made?
    So... USA? Vietnam, China?

Indonesia.......I cannot seem to find any of this type of gear that is made in the USA.

Ice fished all day last weekend wearing new set. Stayed very warm and dry with temps ranging from 0 to 15 later in the day.
    Expensive stuff though, rich sister gave them to me for Christmas. I'll definately bring the coat with me this year for spring and fall bear, but leave the bibs at home. There a little to heavy and just not needed, but excellent for kneeling down and setting tip ups on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Torqued View Post
    I have the jacket. I have been using it as daily wear since this past summer. I have also used it out snowshoeing at 0 degrees with just a long sleeve shirt on and it was actually to warm while moving. I want to get the bibs also. So far what I have found is that for the money it is very good gear. I like the idea that it will allow a person to float if in the water. Could be a life saver some day.
    Torqued,

Do you have the one layer of INSULTEX jacket and not the 2 layer parka? I'm thinking of getting that for wind protection on the 4 wheelers and my dirt bikes. I have heavy riding jackets with pads but want something I can use around the farm without a lot of bulk and still cut the wind. Is that a good choice?

Joe

Mine has 3 layers. Here is the link to the jacket. http://www.idigear.com/aajacket-plus.php
    I think it is a good all around jacket, just not for warm weather.

Smile

yes i have only the one layer and its not bulky at all, i took the shower test with it and i stayed dry but as commented earlier that it does bead the water and make it heavier. i just wanted a windproof very warm jacket for the top of the mountain glassing, for that purpose i think its great. they have a sale on the website for 270$ for green and yellow 3 layer ice fishing bibs right now, i think its 100$ off.

They have it in stock at the Wasilla 3 Bears, I just looked at it yesterday. Just they heavy stuff, bibs and parkas. It looked interesting.