Thread: What, if any, spices do u bring along?

Default What, if any, spices do u bring along?

Camping food is, by its very nature, generally bland and repetitive. Do u guys bring any spices or other extras to liven up the chow?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh yeah...what ever you like on a steak gos with.. salts peppers too... stuff to make gravy.. ect..

sample cups make a great spice carrier
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Heck yeah walmart sells these shakers that have salt, pepper, garlic and other spices all in one shaker. As they say don't leave home without it.

salt, pepper, garlic and onions (real veggies, not powder), and salsa for the hash browns. gravy powder if fresh meat is in the forecast.

Back in the dark ages they had something called a 35mm camera, you know before digital. Well the black plastic film roll containers make great carriers for any and all spices. REI even sells replacement lids that allow you to seal the top and also use the top as a shaker opening. I have had a few of these for years and take them with black pepper, salt, garlic, and other spices. Relatively light weight, but like couscous it is worth it to me.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and if its fishing, lemon salt.

Montreal steak seasoning, use it on top of caribou tenderloin then throw some on top of potatoes, add some butter and throw it on the fire!!

I bring a rub mix, salt and pepper. I bring some hot sauce in a small plastic bottle. Like to bring some Parmesan cheese. Even on sheep hunts. Nothing like fresh meat on a stick. Of course I like to cook and enjoy that part of the experience.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

****!!...Steve, you need to quit showing pics like that... its killin' me....lol By the way....I did get the my in-laws to bring up a bunch of "fiesta" fajita seasoning from Texas......

For base camp...I bring it all, rubs, seasonings, sauces, onions and potatoes. For mobile spike camps, a very small/tiny container of Canadian Steak seasoning...( not just for sheep, moose or bou...but its good on ptarmigan, pika, and marmot)

A small bottle of Season All or Johnny's Seasoning, are good to add to the pack or food locker. A little flour to dredge in and some butter to fry in. I mix the dry flour and seasoning salt together, dip meat in egg, then cover with the dry mix and then cook in the melted butter. You can sub Panco for the flour if available. This works on fish or red meat.

Depends on the camp. If I'm going mobile it's usually just salt, pepper and hot sauce. Used to take Tabasco as it offered more burn for the buck, but as I've aged a bit Tabasco doesn't sit well in my innards as it used to. Nowadays I opt for Trappy's Red Devil, Bull Brand or Lousiana hot sauces or Frank's. Permanent base camps get a little more elaborate.
    Now what ?

Right now it's a small bottle of Tabasco, steak rub and chicken bullion packets

Grabbing stuff at fast food joints is an easy move. Some other condiments can be found below. For spices, I take plenty, largely what is mentioned before me. I put them in small 1-2 ounce nalgene bottles I found on Campmor years ago. I store them in a cheap $3 shaving bag from Walmart. In that kit I also keep powdered oil, called powdered shortening on the site Harvest Foodworks (Canadian) that sells it.

http://www.wildernessdining.com/condiments.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

To spice up questionable caribou meat I bring Red Roboin spice/salt. It goes on everything.