Thread: Another basic DRAW question...

Default Another basic DRAW question...

Thought I had this figured out over the years... If somebody draws a Kodiak Bear Hunt (DB235) last year, he cannot put in for that same hunt again this year. BUT, he can put in for other Kodiak Bear Hunts (i.e. DB236) ? He was not successful last year on his hunt, so he wants to try his hand again at another subunit. I always understood that he could apply again the following year, as long as it wasn't the same hunt (DB235) as last year. Now, some guide is telling him that he can't put in for another UNIT 8 (Kodiak) Bear hunt again for 4 years? I don't believe this is true. My buddy is a Resident, and should be able to apply for another hunt in unit 8 as long as it is NOT DB235, correct? I tried to call F&G but they are closed today. Thanks for the information in advance.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !
    Johnny

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

johnny.. for the most part you are correct... if you drew last year you have to let that tag alone this year for some one else...

dont have the regs in front of me... but some UNITS still have a 1 in 4 year clause... but that is only if you killed a bear. i hate trying to read the hunt supp for unit 8 on those bears.. but it should be there right on the front page and the map on page 2

but for the most part... you should beable to apply for anyhunt you did not draw last year.. since you did not kill a bear. .

sorry. not where i can get to it for you.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

THanks Vince... that is my reading of the regs too. Unfortunately, when some guide is insisting that I'm wrong, it makes a person start to doubt what he already knows. Don't know why the guide was telling my buddy this?
    Thanks again...
    Johnny

Skydiver,

You've got it right - you're free to apply to any hunt area on Kodiak except for the area that you received a permit for last year. I've been through this plenty of times. Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    THanks Vince... that is my reading of the regs too. Unfortunately, when some guide is insisting that I'm wrong, it makes a person start to doubt what he already knows. Don't know why the guide was telling my buddy this?
    Thanks again...
    Johnny
    could be he misunderstood and thinks, that your friend shot a bear? unit 8 is a 1 bear every 4 years unit still... i was able to get that much down loaded to my phone..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Skydiver, I don't know if this helps any but this is from page 2 of the supplement:

- The bag limit is one bear every four regulatory years, etc
    - Applicants successfully drawn for a fall Kodiak bear hunt are ineligible to receive another Kodiak bear permit the following spring.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    Skydiver, I don't know if this helps any but this is from page 2 of the supplement:

- The bag limit is one bear every four regulatory years, etc
    - Applicants successfully drawn for a fall Kodiak bear hunt are ineligible to receive another Kodiak bear permit the following spring.
    that cause the fall hunt is the same regulatory year as the next spring..

meet on face book here