Thread: I like revolvers, but

Default I like revolvers, but

Hello all,
    I have been thinking of trimming my collection down a bit. I know unthinkable.
    For revolvers I have.
    1. Ruger Redhawk SS 45 colt 5.5 inch
    2. Super blackhawk SS 44 mag. 4 5/8 inch
    3. Smith Wesson SS Backpacker 44 mag. 2.5 inch
    4. S&W Mountain gun 44 mag 4 inch
    5. Ruger Super redhawk 480 ruger TG 7.5 inch
    6. Ruger SP 101 SS 357 mag. 3 inch
    7. Ruger Bearcat 22 lr. blue 4 inch
    Well that is it, for revolvers anyway. The Mountain gun is my favorite, but I like them all. They are all different in their own way but there is a lot of overlap in usefullness. I was thinking of culling the backpacker from the heard, I don't know for sure. I have not hunted soley with a handgun yet maybe someday. There used mostly for self preservation.
    Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed.

P.S. This is not not not an attempt to sell anything just like some feedback.

Thank you for any help

north45

Well, I really think you should get rid of #5. I mean, Ruger doesn't even make this pistol anymore. That alone should tell you how useless it is. Tell you what, just cause it's Christmas time and all, I'll take the burden of owning it from you.

In fact, all the rest seem pretty burdensome too!
    Except #2, I'm burdened with one just like that.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

In all seriousness, #s 1-4 all seem to fit the same bill, hunting backup or 'bear defense'. #5 seems to be more of a hunting handgun, with the 7.5" barrel. #6 seems to be a personal defense handgun, less of a woods gun. And #7 is the kind of handgun I like to take along when hunting, in case I see a spruce hen or two. Just my (envious) $.02.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Having recently acquired two Rugers, I'd have a hard time getting rid of either of them. I have a new-found respect for the quality of Ruger revolvers. I also have a S&W 460V, and I like that one too. I say if you have to get rid of one or two, just pick the one(s) you use the least. They are all fine weapons. My Rugers are: Bisley stainless convertible .45 Colt and .45 ACP, and an LCR .38 +p.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 7 revolvers and a question

My advice is to thank your wife for having such tolerance for your habit. And if you have no wife, sell all but your favorite two handguns, buy a nice diamond ring, find a nice girl and get one!

If I were to cull that herd to three guns, I'd keep #1 for big 4 legged critters, #6 for scum bucket 2 legged critters and #7 for small game. You have several that could serve as your big game gun but if bear protection is a consideration then it probably needs to be a double action, short enough to carry easy and Rugers are tougher than S&Ws every time.

I agree that there's a lot of redundancy in your collection, with at least 4 being much the same.

Trouble is, if you part with any of them you'll regret it sooner or later. A few years back I got twitchy about having so many I never used and sold off 18 of them, keeping only a dozen or so. Yeah, you'd think a dozen would be plenty, but I'm still kicking myself for selling. No sense for it, I know. But a sold gun is gone for good.

Swapping one or two for something more interesting makes sense sometimes, but even as you enjoy the new one you'll miss the gone one.

And some will already have collected a few memories. I won't even get into the ones that have been around a few years and might even have some family ties. One I could never part with is the SAA my dad carried as a sheriff's deputy on the border in the 1950's. He never did anything famous with it, and it's a good thing he never had to fire a shot in anger. He couldn't hit the ocean with it if he was sitting in a boat. But it's still got lots of sentimental value along with his leather.

IF.... and that's a BIG IF.... you had to pare it down to 3 here's what I say.

1, 6 and 7 can do it all.

The 5.5 Redhawk 45 Colt can replace all the 44's and the 480. It's a good compromise of packability and plenty of whoopall for bear protection and hunting. The 45 Colt Redhawk can be loaded to "5 shot" 45 Colt pressures which are close to 454. Plus you can load 200 gr plinkers. If you don't cast and reload you could get setup nicely after selling a few and you could get some nice holsters for the others.

SP101 for personal protection

Bearcat for fun and birds, etc.

You could also keep your favorite just cuz it's your favorite.

But, might as well keep em all

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I just hate it, when EKC, is Rong, especially when he's ALMOST right:

My vote is,,,,

Keep a 44 Mag. (The Mountain Gun is probably more packable. but the Blackhawk would do.) (The Backpacker barrel is too short.)

(45 Colt offers no real advantage, and isnít as versatile as far as ammo is concerned.)

480, is needlessly powerful, and expensive to shoot.)

The 357, even if the barrel is a bit too short. (You could always use 38 Special +P ammo.)

And the Bearcat.

These choices reflect not only my own preferences, but practicality, as well.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for the help,
    Hard decision to make I might have to shoot them for a while longer to help me decide?

Happy new year

north45

By the way I do reload but no casting yet. Ammo cost is very close for the big three once you own the brass.

north45

I have a 329 PD Titaniam. Stay away from it in my opinion. This gun I have has been back to S&M 2 times for repair with less than 1000 rounds thru it. Last time I sent it in they replaced half the gun. I'll never trust it again shooting bear loads. They tear the gun to heck. Go a 629 heavey frame revolver and you won't be sorry. Nothing wrong with S&M as far as sending your gun in tho. Most times they don't charge you at all for repairs on what they make and sell and it's usually back to you in 2 weeks. They are good for that. Bad part is, the gun screwed up 2 times on the recommended 240 grain factory loads. Last time I wrecked it was test firing 1 305 grain Buffalo Bore cartridge. Totally locked the gun up right in the middle of a hunting trip. I wasn't a happy camper or hunter for that matter. The gun is designed for 44 specials is my personal opinion and no more. I sure wouldn't trust it to save my life on a Grizzly attack. That's a fact Jack!
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

i have two revolvers one is the S&W J frame for back up use and summer time CCw carry and the other is a S&W model 460VXR revolver for carry when hikeing and camping in the back woods for defense againest a large bear or moose if need be ..

so my choices are really comes down to two area defense and back country bear defense so alot of things i do not think about when it comes to revolvers and there useage outside of those two areas..

plus given the fact that iam about to lose my one revolver for bear defense to one of my kids who is comeing up to Fairbanks area to be stationed there and they have allready layed claims to it ..i love my kids in that area

.so iam thinking about a S&W model 500 Magnum with a 4 inchs barrel with D&L Sports Rear fixed sight system and a new finish in greenish color for the new backwoods bear revolver with a butt layard to keep the pistol attached to the body if i fall in a steam or lake with the revolver in the chest holster also ..

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

GrizzlyH:
    Thank you for that report.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

north45,
    There was a reason you bought them in the first place - Cause you liked em! Unless that has changed pour a tall one and sit back and watch some football today and hopefully the urge to sell one will go away!
    Thats why we are here, to help a friend when they get the urge to do something dumb!
    Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would have to agree with Smokey, don't get rid of any of them, and buy more!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I would have to agree with Smokey, don't get rid of any of them, and buy more!
    X2!!! I like the feel each and every gun has in my hand.... And I buy new ones because I like that feel also... I have my favorites, but will never get rid of any (unless some VERY bad circumstances).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    X2!!! I like the feel each and every gun has in my hand.... And I buy new ones because I like that feel also... I have my favorites, but will never get rid of any (unless some VERY bad circumstances).
    X3 I regret the loss of almost every firearm I traded or sold.

Guess I am the opposite about most of my guns. They are simply tools for me the only one that has sentimental value is my wife's .308 as it was the first and only rifle my dad gave to me. All the rest could be for sale at anytime without too much heart burn. I have sold a fair number of rifles and will likely always have some of my firearms in flux as I am constantly looking for what works best for me. If I want to buy a given rifle or handgun that will get used more than the current setup I own, I will sell my current setup to afford the new one.

That said I have acquired a fair amount of guns as well, and still have a couple more to buy to "complete" my collection that will never be completed

Keep #1,4 and 7.