Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Sheep Gun Has Arrived!!!!!

Default My New Sheep Gun Has Arrived!!!!!

My Bansner came in finally!!!! It's an Ultimate Ovis in 7mm wsm. The scope is a Swarovski Z3 in 3-9x36mm. I put in for tags this year, but if I don't draw a sheep I'm headed for a Brooks Range sheep, grizzly, caribou, wolf hunt with a fellow forum hunting partner. Should be fun.

Brett
    PS. Don't mind the 1870s linoleum. The black spots are divets in it not dirt.

Nice rifle Brett! May I ask what's the finished weight of the scoped rifle?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Very nice! So did you nix the 6.5mm custom or are you still having that made as well?
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Nice rifle Brett! May I ask what's the finished weight of the scoped rifle?
    7.4 lbs. Somewhat of a point of contention as I was expecting it to weight a bit less, but I'm very pleased thus far. I still need to shoot it, so we'll see.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Very nice! So did you nix the 6.5mm custom or are you still having that made as well?
    I did nix it. The debate was a 7mm wsm or a 6.5mm wsm. I went with the 7mm for several reasons. Less mucking, not much difference in ballistics at actual distances I'd shoot, and heavier/slightly bigger bullets for grizzly if necesary.

Brett

Sounds great! As you already know I'm a big Winchester ammo fan. Have you looked at the new XP3 round in 7mm wsm? I think it's a 160gr dual stage bullet a lot like the older fail safes (solid copper front section with a lead core) just without the steel cup. The BC is around .5 or so. Just a thought.

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Nice rifle Brett, Mark is a good guy and makes a great product IME, congrats!

BTW the 7 shorty will kill a Grizzly, just ask my old man.

That thing is a beauty Brett. Would sweat the weight thing too much when you got a rifle that sweet. Hope you get a chance to take all you listed above in the Brooks this next fall so you can show off what it can really do.

Thanks for sharing.

That thing is SWEET!! Any idea what loads you are going to try in it? The more I read on the 7mm WSM the more it seems like the ideal AK mountain rifle. I keep kicking around going to the good ole 308 for everything but now that I have all the stuff to start reloading the benefit of a common cartridge is not as significant. I would really like a NULA dressed out pretty much just like yours. What reticle did you go with on the Swaro?

Brett,

That is one very nice looking rifle !!!

AJ

That is SaWEET! Also love the 7 WSM choice (just on what I've read). I'm envious. :-)

Very nice detail in that rifle.

Very nice rifle Brett! 7mmWSM is one of the most underappreciated cartridges in existence!

Brett,
    Very nice rifle! What weight was quoted when you ordered it? I would of thought a nice custom would of been in the 6 pound range with scope.
    Tennessee

Nice rifle. What bullet are you going to use? #4 BBL?

Default Nice!

Very nice. What action does he use? I also think the weight should be less, not to take anything away from a georgeous rifle. I think the stock is probably where you have the extra weight vs. a NULA, McMillan EDGE, or other super lightweights. I wouldn't sweat it, I bet it drives tacks.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

VERY nice! I'd also be interested to know what action is being used. I'm also a fan of Talley rings, but I don't recognize those as Talley bases. Are they something new, or are they custom?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Sounds great! As you already know I'm a big Winchester ammo fan. Have you looked at the new XP3 round in 7mm wsm? I think it's a 160gr dual stage bullet a lot like the older fail safes (solid copper front section with a lead core) just without the steel cup. The BC is around .5 or so. Just a thought.

John
    I'm going to try the 150 Swift Scirocco 2s. If they don't work out I'll give them a good look. Thanks for the tip.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That thing is SWEET!! Any idea what loads you are going to try in it? The more I read on the 7mm WSM the more it seems like the ideal AK mountain rifle. I keep kicking around going to the good ole 308 for everything but now that I have all the stuff to start reloading the benefit of a common cartridge is not as significant. I would really like a NULA dressed out pretty much just like yours. What reticle did you go with on the Swaro?
    150 Swifts Scirocco 2s @ 3100-3150ish. I went with standard plex. I had a B&C reticle on a previous Leupold and decided complex reticles aren't for me. I'm not good/crazy enough for the 1000 yard shots, so I'll just learn my ballistic table out to 500 yards and make it work.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Brett,
    Very nice rifle! What weight was quoted when you ordered it? I would of thought a nice custom would of been in the 6 pound range with scope.
    When I initially spoke to Mark he said he doesn't like to build rifles under 5.5lbs. He's done it before and found that practically speaking in field conditions it is too hard to shoot 4.5-5lbs rifle accurately in the field! I was expecting 5.5lbs rifle weight, so about 6.75lbs scoped tops. 7.4lbs is hardly the end of the world. At 6' 200lbs I'm sure the extra 12oz won't make a difference. If I'm that worried I'm sure I can lose an extra 12oz of fat between now and August!!!!

Brett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast