Thread: Argo - buy old (cheap)and rebuild -- why not?

Default Argo - buy old (cheap)and rebuild -- why not?

No, really... tell me why not.

Already decided Argo is what I want & fills my needs... Budget is short, or I'd just go drop the cash on a new one..

Pilot1995

Can't tell you why not, only why you can. I spent 10 years with a $3000 dollar Argo. Probably put $1000 into it in the first two years. Once I had the kinks worked out it met my needs quite well. 10 years later I was able to afford a newer used one and bought it. Sold the old one for around $2300. If you are able to work things Argos are quite simple and once you get familiar with them they are pretty easy to fix.

i own an 08 other than having awsome new tech. There is nothing wrong with buying the older argos and tuning them up to suit your needs. I'd get an older one and fix it up if I could find one that I like just so I could have two!! More power to you. Parts are still available easy and some can be changed out cheeper with parts from napa you don't have to have ARGo name parts for them to work.

If you are going to tackle this I would only offer one important suggestion.

Do not get a model with the roll pins in the axles.
    I think they converted to spline shaft in 88-89. Those roll pins are a pain and only seem to break when you have a full load of meat in the Argo. They are fairly simple to replace, but it stinks to unload everything to get access to replace them. You would be surprised on an 8 wheel rig how much one disabled wheel will cripple the Argo, but it does.

I have been using/working on Argos since the early 80's and it is amazing how far they have come. It is true that you used to have to work on the older models about as much as you would drive them. The last few I have owned since 99 have been very reliable with very few issues as long as you keep up on the PM.

Argo's are not for everyone, but once you have gained enough experience to operate and maintain them IMO there is no more capable rig for Alaskan conditions.

Once you begin to upgrade to the newer models, you will be blown away by how much more capable they really are. Everyone has to start somewhere, best of luck to you on this. If you ever need any pointers, I'll just be a PM away!

i second that whole statement

That's exactly what I was looking for guys. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    If you are going to tackle this I would only offer one important suggestion.

Do not get a model with the roll pins in the axles.
    I agree with this. I bought a used Argo and have fixed it up over the past few years. It has not broken down in the woods, and has been a great rig. Got it at a fraction of the price of a new one, and haven't put that much money into it.

I have an 09 w/ tracks and the wife and I love it. I have no complaints other then speed but it does and go's where ever I want. We hauled all ouor gear and 3 moose out with a trailer. Slow 24 mile strip but when I got out of the woods I was dry and didn't speed hours digging my machine out. I did build a topper and working on clothings it in alittle for the rainy times put it has it's place just like 4 whlrs do.