Thread: launch system for a cessna

Default launch system for a cessna

As winter sets in, I saw a 1960's launch system the Germans made for the F 104. It was a pedestal that pointed the A/C 45 deg up and used rockets to blast the plane into flight. Now before the sobering effect of the sun begins to reverse the cabin fever anybody got any ideas? Rubber bands, bunge cords or maybe a water rocket that you could pump air presure into. This could be the begining of a new era of bush flying ulta STOL. For landing , a balistic parachute that inflates with CO2, just as the wheels touch bang your stopped. this could open the world of super cubs to 180's or bigger.

Maybe your looking for something like this?

http://mission4today.com/index.php?n...5086&view=next

that the idea, just smaller and portiable.

JATO bottles for light aircraft , now that would be cool .

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    As winter sets in, I saw a 1960's launch system the Germans made for the F 104. It was a pedestal that pointed the A/C 45 deg up and used rockets to blast the plane into flight. Now before the sobering effect of the sun begins to reverse the cabin fever anybody got any ideas? Rubber bands, bunge cords or maybe a water rocket that you could pump air presure into. This could be the begining of a new era of bush flying ulta STOL. For landing , a balistic parachute that inflates with CO2, just as the wheels touch bang your stopped. this could open the world of super cubs to 180's or bigger.
    And here I thought this was an Alaska bush flying forum . . . . .

What about using a rope and tying the tail to a tree, rev the engine up to flying speed and cut the rope? I been told it does work.

Moose I think a banner tow system is a better idea then you would just pull a knob in side the cockpit. However i don't think you are going to shave more than a few feet off of your TO roll.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    What about using a rope and tying the tail to a tree, rev the engine up to flying speed and cut the rope? I been told it does work.
    One presumes that you'll have to be inside the airplane when you cut the rope. You're gonna have a very long piece of it hanging out back there. Hope it doesn't catch on something . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Moose I think a banner tow system is a better idea then you would just pull a knob in side the cockpit. However i don't think you are going to shave more than a few feet off of your TO roll.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    . . . . . Reckon you'll be leaving ropes and miscellaneous hardware behing you each time? The banner release is usually a "handle" like a floatplene's water rudder control. I guess I'd still prefer to keep one hand on the throttle and the other on the stick or wheel.

Hey Griz, can't think of anyplace but the bush to do something this crazy, you sure don't want a crowd of witnesses,lol. Now how about a glider tow hook, just a quick pull and away you go, and there is a STC deal for the 180's. Griz, just remember holding onto the throtle when this MITD(massive instaint thrust devise) is activeatived could cause you to inadvertantly close the throtle, them there would be real trouble.