Thread: petersburgh deer?

Default petersburgh deer?

Thinking about a drop deer hunt out of petersbugh in late oct. for 3or4 days .Having never sika hunted or in that area of Alaska ,What could or should I expect. I am in good shape for 50 and have all the gear to hunt anywhere.Did the the haul road gun hunt from the truck and loved the hike and pack.Wished I brought my bow though.Did the moose drop and loved the 2 mile one way pack.I would like to see a sika mounted on the same wall. What are my odds.

Wouldn't be my 1st choice for location, but I'm sure you could get it done out of Pburg.

It'll be pre rut, and the bucks could be found on the beach all the way up to alpine. Be prepared for nasty weather.

You won't find any "SIKA" deer in AK. Ned to hunt MD or TX for them.

What GARY should of corrected was the spelling SITKA blacktail deer.
    Friendly message for GARY, NEED is spelled with 2 E's
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

There's alot of options for great deer hunting out of Petersburg. You'll have to figure out where you want to hunt-Mitkof Is, Kupreanof Is, Kuiu Is, Zarembo, north Prince of Wales (POW), the mainland and south Admiralty Is and there are more. Look closely to the reg's as bag limits and such vary Is. to Is. Some very large bucks come off of all the areas I listed especially the islands from Petersburg to the south, Admiralty is a special place to hunt but you'll have to contend with a good population of Brown Bears. Absolutely call and talk to the biologist(s) for the region to help narrow your choices. Also consider hunting out of Ketchican if you intend to hunt S. POW though N. POW is easily had from Petersburg and no more expensive. Do an internet search for lodges around Petersburg and POW, you can get lodging and a vehicle or boat with many of them.