Thread: need help w/reloading 9mm

Default need help w/reloading 9mm

My reloads have several rounds keyholeing...I'm wondering if I have to much of a crimp on them...anyone know what the tapper crimp should mik out to be? Should I be deburring the outside of the case...I have been...I'm kinda stumped on this one,,,any suggestions will be appreciated...

What powder and bullet type and weight combination are you loading? I shoot a 9mm and a 40S&W in matches and load so slow that it barely works the slide. I'm having a hard time understanding key holing from your load.

I only taper crimp enough to remove the flare / bell from the mouth. I don't trim hand gun cases at all so no need to deburr. Never had an issue to date in the 9mm with several thousand rounds loaded.

You are not giving us much to work with. What bullet are you using. What gun, powder amount and type, OAL, bullet dia if cast. That sort of info can give us a chance. Crimp or not and deburring or not should not have much affect unless your using a Lee Factory crimp set to crimp way to much and shrinking the bullet dia.

Marshall....If the 9mm get its headspace from the case mouth then wouldn't case length be inportant..shouldn't the cases all be trimmed to the same lenght..?

I've only ever seen two 9mm's that would keyhole bullets. One was an original P38 with the rifling totally hosed from neglect and abuse. The other was a custom slow-twist M1911 barrel when the guy tried loading some heavy cast bullets in it. They were yawing by 15 yards, hitting sideways at 20 and off the paper for the most part by 100 feet.

Any of that ring your bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    Marshall....If the 9mm get its headspace from the case mouth then wouldn't case length be inportant..shouldn't the cases all be trimmed to the same lenght..?
    I'm using brass from once fired Speer Gold Dot ammo recovered from a law enforcement range. I get 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP by the buckets, I'm fortunate to have that contact. The brass is at or slightly longer than minimum but nowhere close to max so no worries at all. There is enough slop built into the production handguns that a few thousands doesn't matter. If your loading hot loads and stretching or using unknown brass then set up your trimmer and check your length.

I'm just shooting steels and moving from station to station to get the next shot off as fast as possible. In my scenario I just need to hit an easy target fast and move on. If I was shooting some kind of bulls eye event then I would take more care with these loads.

The point is I don't do any case prep on semi auto hand gun loads and have never had a malfunction. Worrying about trimming, de-burring and crimping hasn't even crossed my mind. Also key holing a pistol load at close range seemed a bit odd.

Don't mistake my lack of case prep on these loads for my attention to deal with rifle loads, that's a different animal...

Thank you all for your replies...I'm headed to my reloading bench across town and will doubble check my work...reload some rounds and go to the range tomorrow....

I got it figured out Sunday....my oal was to long and I'm reloading plated bullets...I had to much crimp on them...now they are shooting much better..thnx for your replies....

oooooooooooh! I just read through this and I shudder at the thought of trimmin and de-burring 9mm brass. Far too fiddley. I have reloaded 1000's of once fired and not had a single issue. Just check my die set-up on the first 5 rounds of a run and then go at it, re-checking every 100 (ish). As others have said, big bore stuff takes a bit more finesse, but SemiAuto handgun stuff, just go at it IMHO.

I'm on track now..thnx..I just finished reloading 1,800 rounds yesterday and am waiting for warmer weather to start unloading them...