Thread: unguided moose hunt

Default unguided moose hunt

I am in the early planning stages for an Alaskan moose hunt for in a couple years. I have never hunted moose before and am either looking for a float trip or fly in. I am sure I will be on a budget so cost is an issue. I am mainly going for the experience so I am not really concerned about the size of the animal but would rather focus on an area that has more chance of success even if it means smaller bulls.

Is there any recommendations of a decent company for a reasonable cost and an area to focus my search on that I may see some animals.

Where do you live arch? Read a few nights of the search ,Then ask for a advice on maybe one town ,one unit,what air service.I picked unit 17 something, and flew out of dillingham 5 years ago.

I live in utah. The moose here is about a fifteen year wait to get drawn. I was thinking going with 40 mile air. What would be best a float hunt or fly in to a lake?

They know more then anyone where the best kill results are .I picked a float and changed when my air taxi said 10 percent on that float or 35 on this lake.

Go with these guys! http://www.pbadventures.com/

Pb adventures is unit 18. Unit 18 is some of the best moose country in the state currently. No antler size restriction for non res, long season.
    If you don't like the prices, you could put together more DIY hunt in that area. Search Aniak, and Inland Aviation.
    There's also some good non res hunting opportunities in unit 23, but you'll have to win a draw permit for that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

call my boss...he's arguably got some of the best drop moose country in the state right now in unit 18, great guy and an outstanding pilot. if you'd like any detailed info feel free to ask or pm me...had a drop client last year take a high seventies bull (77) that scored in the 240's...awsome genetics.

zack

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If you don't like the prices, you could put together more DIY hunt in that area. Search Aniak, and Inland Aviation.
    If anybody is thinking of using this operation, drop me a PM..

with success being one of my main goals and seeing some low success on moose hunts in areas would I be better off doing a caribou hunt as they seem to have higher success rates.

If success is your main goal, don't come up now and do a DIY hunt. Save your money and do a guided trip a few years down the road. Start making payments etc. Yes DIY hunts are successful especially if planned out but a lot are not. If you do not know the terrain or how to hunt the critter then you'll have a hell of a time. Another option is to use a hunt planner. It is tough to be on a budget and be successful in AK, though your budget and my budget could be two different things.

As for caribou, success is better but still not a gaurentee. Not trying to be a downer just want you to come up to AK with realistic expectations. I try my best to make sure my folks know there isn't an animal under every bush.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I am from WY, and I did a DIY hunt last fall and came out very successful. Killed a 58" moose and 2 bull caribou. Based on my experience, here are my suggestions:
    1) you can't spend enough time examining population and harvest success reports (found on-line).
    2) Google earth is an invaluable resource for on-line scouting of terrain (this is how I determined which river I was going to hunt).
    3) Search this forum, and check it religiously. You won't likely get exact areas to hunt, but with the amount of advice and discussions you can glean local knowledge about certain areas (and transporters).
    4) Don't underestimate the travel. I drove from WY to the Haul Road, as this was the most feasible way to make sure I could return with my meat and antlers. But border crossing can be a real b!tc#.

As you have already discussed, a form of travel to the "hunting spots" is a necessity. I had access to an airboat, without which my hunt would not have been possible. Bottom line - with the proper preparation you can have an extremely successful and fun hunt.

Default AK Unguided hunt:

Quote Originally Posted by bugle.elk View Post
    I am from WY, and I did a DIY hunt last fall and came out very successful. Killed a 58" moose and 2 bull caribou. Based on my experience, here are my suggestions:
    1) you can't spend enough time examining population and harvest success reports (found on-line).
    2) Google earth is an invaluable resource for on-line scouting of terrain (this is how I determined which river I was going to hunt).
    3) Search this forum, and check it religiously. You won't likely get exact areas to hunt, but with the amount of advice and discussions you can glean local knowledge about certain areas (and transporters).
    4) Don't underestimate the travel. I drove from WY to the Haul Road, as this was the most feasible way to make sure I could return with my meat and antlers. But border crossing can be a real b!tc#.

As you have already discussed, a form of travel to the "hunting spots" is a necessity. I had access to an airboat, without which my hunt would not have been possible. Bottom line - with the proper preparation you can have an extremely successful and fun hunt.
    Hello bugle.elk: I saw your posting and wanted to ask you a few questions. My friend and I are very experienced and accomplished hunters in good shape and want to plan a DIY caribou and Moose hunt in AK. I am planning to drive and pull a utility trailer from Missoula, MT to Fairbanks or Anchorage. From there we have not decided on our area or method of hunting yet for caribou. We are on a tight budget (few thousand) so perhaps we will end up archery hunting off the road (near Fairbanks) or fly in with some gear for a DIY drop camp. Do you have any recommendations for area and method in this area? I have killed caribou in the Mulchatna area but that was all fly in and would cost us more than we can afford.

From there, we would like to drive somewhere and get on a river to float for 10 days for moose. We plan to bring all our own gear, raft, etc. Do you have any suggestions on area or outfitter who can drop us off/pick us up? We are flexible and can drive anywhere within reason. We have a moose hunt budget of 3000 per person.

The main reason your posting caught my attention is because you drove to AK from the lower 48. Any suggestions on keeping the meat cool until we arrive back in the lower 48? Any suggestions on getting through the border quickly? I know I've asked alot of questions here but as you remember this type of trip requires alot of research and planning and learning from those who have "been there done that" is often the best way! Feel free to respond back to my personal email (35dkings@gmail.com) if you prefer and if you leave a phone number I would be glad to call you. Dan K. P.S. If anyone else who reads this has any suggestions please respond!

I would suggest you both buy a couple books. Hunt Alaska Now, and Hunting in Alaska. Both have a ton of information regarding logistics and general info on hunting areas.

A float hunt from highway to highway isn't going to pan out too well for you, but maybe someone knows more about it than me.

I think I would focus on either moose or caribou. They're habitat overlaps some, but not entirely. Better to focus on one or the other.

Call air taxi's and find someone that will drop you off. What you find on the 'net' is advertised drop hunts that NR buy up left and right... Most can be had for about half that if you call around. You should be able to find someone to take you in with your raft and float out, but it won't be cheap, more gear = more trips to fly you in.

When you say $3000 does that include everything? Gas/tags/hunt? If so that doesn't leave you much of anything for a fly out trip, but probably enough. I've been on a few moose fly outs, with a meat haul were around $1500-2000, but it wasn't far from town either.

You're doing well by asking questions, but don't expect someone to do your planning for you. I doubt anyone is going to hold your hand and give you a place to try out that would be worth a crap.

Start making phone calls. http://outdoorsdirectory.com/directory/airtaxi.htm

Good luck

Contact Red Bear down in Dillingham, I'm sure Amozorro would give him a good reference.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Koalie View Post
    The main reason your posting caught my attention is because you drove to AK from the lower 48. Any suggestions on keeping the meat cool until we arrive back in the lower 48?
    A chest freezer with a generator and a large inverter. When on the road run the freezer off the inverter/truck. At night run off the genny.

As for all the other questions they are covered in dozens of posts across the float hunting and hunting forums. Use the search function to gather basic info and then ask more specific questions in your own thread.

Keep in mind when you drag up an old thread like this one you stand the chance of never getting a response from the person. This guy last checked in to the site 2 weeks ago (check user CP) so he might not even see that you dragged up his old post if it runs off the first page. There are hundreds of people that have signed up to this site and made a few posts and are gone. Posting your own thread gives you more control.

I have always used a chest frezzer and an ext cord just run it from the hotel

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyt View Post
    Contact Red Bear down in Dillingham, I'm sure Amozorro would give him a good reference.

Merry Christmas

Finally I get a name! I've been trying to figure out who that outfitter was!