Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: .243 or .22/Point McKenzie predators?

  1. #1
    Member spyguy386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    172

    Post .243 or .22/Point McKenzie predators?

    I'm a greenhorn when it comes to predator hunting, I've done everything and killed everything else. I'm looking for some info on rifle/ammo. I have a marlin .22 and my .243 w/ 80 grain and soft point tip. Is either one a good combination? And.... is point mckenzie good for predators?

  2. #2

    Default

    Poing Mckenzie... All I can say is that you might have to stand in line before there is an open seat... there are A LOT of people in the area. Anywhere within 3-4 hours of Anchorage is going to be slammed pack of people. I was over in that area several months ago and thought I had a good area. There was not human track or snow machine tracks... if you go out there now that is all you will see.... I was out there today/night and even seen someone pulling a blind into the area... it was a 10x10 blind... anyway... I would go with a .243 over a .22. How would you feel if wolf walked out at 200 yards and you had a .22 in your hand. hope this is a little helpful

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I was out point mackenzie today called for 4 hours between noon and 4. Nothing came in sight, but I saw tracks when walking the perimeter on my way out. didnt see any people where I was at!

  4. #4

    Default

    you must be in a better spot than me... I only seen snow machines... I am surprised we didn't see you out there. we were out there the past 2 days... we made at least 10 stands... called for hours.. destress call and howled everything... we only called in a couple eagles and a bunch of ravens... I was trapping kinda still am trapping out there... I think I am going to pull the traps out and just stick to calling... I am not into it for the money... Just want to get a couple for the sport and maybe a couple mounts

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    you must be in a better spot than me... I only seen snow machines... I am surprised we didn't see you out there. we were out there the past 2 days... we made at least 10 stands... called for hours.. destress call and howled everything... we only called in a couple eagles and a bunch of ravens... I was trapping kinda still am trapping out there... I think I am going to pull the traps out and just stick to calling... I am not into it for the money... Just want to get a couple for the sport and maybe a couple mounts
    you mean to say... that after... 86 post on this...

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    I would really like to get a Lynx this year... Where is a good spot around Anchorage... well... within 2 hours.

    Rock
    you went to Pt mac? LOL thats not out of town.. the only reason its two hours is the traffic in wasilla and on KGBR is at a stand still 24/7
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    I'm a greenhorn when it comes to predator hunting, I've done everything and killed everything else. I'm looking for some info on rifle/ammo. I have a marlin .22 and my .243 w/ 80 grain and soft point tip. Is either one a good combination? And.... is point mckenzie good for predators?
    would sure be interested in hearing some of them stories... theres plenty of us still learning the rest of stuff...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Member spyguy386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    172

    Default Helpful

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    Poing Mckenzie... All I can say is that you might have to stand in line before there is an open seat... there are A LOT of people in the area. Anywhere within 3-4 hours of Anchorage is going to be slammed pack of people. I was over in that area several months ago and thought I had a good area. There was not human track or snow machine tracks... if you go out there now that is all you will see.... I was out there today/night and even seen someone pulling a blind into the area... it was a 10x10 blind... anyway... I would go with a .243 over a .22. How would you feel if wolf walked out at 200 yards and you had a .22 in your hand. hope this is a little helpful
    Yeah I figured I was better off with a .243, but when I went out last sunday I seen a lot of small game trails but no predator tracks. I have a primos destressed rabbit call which I think I have dialed in now. hopefully i'll try a few spots and get luck... will post a update tomorrow afternoon-evening... thanks for you help bud! and everyone else

  8. #8

    Default

    86 post on what... yes I had A LOT of post about "trapping"... I think we are talking about predator hunting now...

    thanks Vince you are the MAN... and you have been a member for a year and a half... and 7,483 post... maybe you need to get out and do your own thing instead of sitting on here and talking crap about everyone and giving advice... not sure if I would listen to yours anyways... I am not sure how much knowledge you can have behind a computer

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    86 post on what... yes I had A LOT of post about "trapping"... I think we are talking about predator hunting now...

    thanks Vince you are the MAN... and you have been a member for a year and a half... and 7,483 post... maybe you need to get out and do your own thing instead of sitting on here and talking crap about everyone and giving advice... not sure if I would listen to yours anyways... I am not sure how much knowledge you can have behind a computer
    86 differnt post on that thread you were seeking help on.. and started the row from those that felt we shouldnt have... LOL i am still laughing that after all that you went to pt mac... talking crap? nope... but you just proved a big argument that came out of it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    Member spyguy386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    172

    Question

    I'm lost, you guys battle and I'll check back later and see you won.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you mean to say... that after... 86 post on this...


    you went to Pt mac? LOL thats not out of town.. the only reason its two hours is the traffic in wasilla and on KGBR is at a stand still 24/7
    you Fairbanks boys I tell you lol think you know the traffic on KGB. I guess I can say the traffic is bad in Fairbanks. Hell point mckenzie is further out than jims creek lol. And KGBR where in the heck is that a new road I guess lol oh vince you crack me up my new best Fairbanks hill Billy friend.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    86 post on what... yes I had A LOT of post about "trapping"... I think we are talking about predator hunting now...

    thanks Vince you are the MAN... and you have been a member for a year and a half... and 7,483 post... maybe you need to get out and do your own thing instead of sitting on here and talking crap about everyone and giving advice... not sure f I would listen to yours anyways... I am not sure how much knowledge you can have behind a computer
    Vince would be last guy to have on your bad side he is full of info and ready help lend advice all in all a good guy. I wouldn't waste my time around pt mckenzie better places throughout the valley.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    I live not to far from there and was planning on going out for a few days at a time on snowmachines out past Big sue. Do you think i would have better luck out there. I know the part about the further out you go the better hunting is idea. I don't mind doing winter camping and have a new foxpro that i want to try out. What are your thoughts about that?

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  14. #14
    Member spyguy386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Vince would be last guy to have on your bad side he is full of info and ready help lend advice all in all a good guy. I wouldn't waste my time around pt mckenzie better places throughout the valley.
    323, where would you suggest in the valley then? most of all my hunting is talkeetna or pt. mack. other valley spots might be nice... not exact locations but general areas. dont want anybody to give away their sweet spot

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Man several spots and there are no honey holes out here lol. Let's sutton would be a good start, then try over on the parks hwy around zero lake road. Then if you have sleds well hell head to petersville ride to the roadhouse keep goingleft cross the bridge and go the trail is marked for sleds once past the bridge go about 16-17 miles you will see wolves I almost gurantee it!

  16. #16
    Member spyguy386's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    172

    Default

    thanks for the heads up 323, awesome... hope it helps... i'll update over the weekend.

  17. #17
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    you Fairbanks boys I tell you lol think you know the traffic on KGB. I guess I can say the traffic is bad in Fairbanks. Hell point mckenzie is further out than jims creek lol. And KGBR where in the heck is that a new road I guess lol oh vince you crack me up my new best Fairbanks hill Billy friend.
    Sorry bro, I gotta side with Vince here. I live off of KGBR (Knik Goose-Bay Road - read the signs.) and traffic IS bad, most of the time. You go out there anywhere near rush hour, attempt a left turn onto KGBR from any of it's side roads and tell me how long you have to wait. And I have also tried to hunt Port McKenzie. It IS overcrowded, and I won't try it again.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  18. #18
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sorry bro, I gotta side with Vince here. I live off of KGBR (Knik Goose-Bay Road - read the signs.) and traffic IS bad, most of the time. You go out there anywhere near rush hour, attempt a left turn onto KGBR from any of it's side roads and tell me how long you have to wait. And I have also tried to hunt Port McKenzie. It IS overcrowded, and I won't try it again.
    no kidding.. my folks sold their last place off Fern dr. a few years back.. they had 33 acres there.. that extended down to Edlund rd where it bent around to meet fairview loop again... now is all condo style housing.. on small lots. had a place in Donavon est too.. we put one of the first foundations in there in the early 70's .. sold it in 81 got to crowded for us while we were out on Adak... i remember thinking... Why the hell would anyone put a texico out here? 3 mile..LOL fairview loop? shoot it was the stick in those days..... been growing steady ever since... you know pt mac will not be there if that bridge ever goes in. ( that bridge was one of the reasons the dairy farms ended out there.. it and the nat gas... convince people to devlope and then things become profitable...

    the only way to be sucessfull out that way anymore.. is to get way the heck in on the other side of the the bluffs and over toward the flats across the su. and beyond.. used to be a homestead way in there.. we would go help the lady work on after her husband died.. was nearly an hour and a half from KGB... in on pt mac rd and back trails.. in the truck took 7 hours for me to walk the D4 we bought from her out to the main road....used to have to pick bears out of snares for her..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sorry bro, I gotta side with Vince here. I live off of KGBR (Knik Goose-Bay Road - read the signs.) and traffic IS bad, most of the time. You go out there anywhere near rush hour, attempt a left turn onto KGBR from any of it's side roads and tell me how long you have to wait. And I have also tried to hunt Port McKenzie. It IS overcrowded, and I won't try it again.
    Hey bro hehe yeah bro well bro! I live on KGB and I don't find it bad at all maybe you should bought a house on the right hand side lol bro.

  20. #20
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Other spots for sled driving predator hunters along the Su...or if you fly you can land on wheels and walk/ski/shoe out.

    While in Skwentna this summer we had coyotes all around us for most of the summer. Sometimes they would walk up to the rigs. None of the locals hunt/trap them from what I gathered. Most the winter traffic is dog teams and sno-gos recreating. The coyotes have no pressure. Pretty smart though and when you are on foot they stay 300 to 400 yards away when in the open, but will stop and look at you when you yell. I can't whistle so I just bellow and they still stopped and looked at me. If you are in a vehicle they will get within 50 yards. One of the females had a litter of 4 when we were there in the spring.

    Plenty of fox as well, but they were not very active during the work hours when I was out walking around. They were only seen by the crew who were driving early in the morning. However one came and sat behind the excavator and watched him for half and hour as he moved material in the pit.

    We also saw one skinny wolf but just the one time as he was more than likely just moving through the area.

    Lots of spruce hens, but not many hares this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •