Thread: New Rifle decision

Default New Rifle decision

I'm REAL close to retirement and am looking to get a new rifle for myself. No real need because my '06 is great. Just want to celebrate moving to Alaska. I'm pretty much stuck on the CZ 550. I have 2 choices, the safari magnum in 375 w/ Kevlar stock and the 550 carbine in 9.3x62 w/kevlar stock. I've shot a couple 375s over the years ona a &00 BDL and the other model 70. No experiance with 9.3 at all. Is that caliber even popular at all up there?

The 9.3 does have a following up here, but definitely not what the .375 H&H does. If you don't reload, the .375 would probably be your better option as there is better ammunition availability for that wherever you go than what there would be for the 9.3. Ballistically, I don't think there's a vast difference between the two, so that wouldn't really be a factor.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Congratulations on the retirement, sir. Regarding popular calibers up here, go to the Hunting Forum and you'll find a "sticky" regarding popular calibers in Alaska...that thread has been added to and looked at a whole bunch since it was put there. Your 30-06 is one of the top three, second is 338WM and first is 300WM. I voted for the 375H&H, which is what I carry each fall. I've also been seeing more and more 375 Ruger rifles every year.

I too applaud your retirement - enjoy it. As for 9.3x62 I love it. I prefer the 23.5ish inch barrel as it gain a little more velocity to open up certain bullets. Recoil is nice. If the recoil of the 375 didn't bother you I'd go with the 375 for the reasons mentioned. But go with the 9.3 because you want it and want to reload although a few shops carry a very limited amount of ammunition and components alike. In my opinion, nothing says Alaska quite like a 375. CZ's are good solid guns and you can't go wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Crew Dawg View Post
    I'm REAL close to retirement and am looking to get a new rifle for myself. No real need because my '06 is great. Just want to celebrate moving to Alaska.
    Congrats on your upcoming retirement and move.

No experiance with 9.3 at all. Is that caliber even popular at all up there?
    No it's not popular here in AK, or anywhere else in the USA for that matter. It's a great round and is very capable, but it is not popular and finding ammo may prove troublesome.

I'm pretty much stuck on the CZ 550. I have 2 choices, the safari magnum in 375 w/ Kevlar stock and the 550 carbine in 9.3x62 w/kevlar stock. I've shot a couple 375s over the years ona a &00 BDL and the other model 70.
    I think CZ can provide more than two choices, but if you've narrowed it down to the 375 and 9.3x62 I recommend you buy the 375 and call it good. Ammo is available in most places that carry ammo (they even have it here in Dillingham) and it's a very effective cartridge in a reliable/durable rifle. I'd say having a 375 paired with an '06 would make you prepared to move to anywhere in the world!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

CZ has a butt load of guns i like. But, and i don't know why. I want that Kevlar stock. The gun shop i part time at got one of thier Kevlar varminters. I realy like what they did with it, the wrist was more open so my hand didn't feel so cramped getting to the trigger. I'm not a huge guy but at 6'4" and 230 pounds. Most guns feel a little small to me. I have watch myself or i tend to crawl the stock. I went with those 2 because of the stock and the iron sights. I shoot a lot with open sites and use QD mountes. I've had even Ziess scopes fog on me. I'm a murphy's law magnet. If they came in SS with a black coating they woul be perfect. Can't wait to get up there. The wifes from Sterling and looks forward to moving home. I was at Eielson AFB for a while.