Thread: Is there any........

Default Is there any........

91 + Octane in this state besides race fuel?

Im sure this topic has been gone over before, but I couldn't find it in the first few pages of my search. It seems that with all the recreation that is done, that someone would start supplying 91 or 92 octane at the pumps.

If there is not these octanes available, does anyone mix their 90 Octane with Race gas (110 I believe)?? Example: 5 gallons 90 + 1 gallon 110 = 93 octane?

Thanks in advance.

i don't know of any... you can mix race gas with regular gas, i used to mix 1 part race gas to 4 parts pump gas premium for a 770 union bay i had in my rmk... torco accelerator works really good to raise octane almost as much as you want http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html check it out, they make race fuel, so they make the concentrate also and u can turn 91 into 105, its really good stuff, most over the counter octane boosters don't work at all except for maybe .5 octane point or so at 87 octane and they barely do anything in premium, i'm with you though, i sure wish they had 91+ somewhere, if somewhere had it out here in the valley i'd fill up my sleds there all the time...

I once worked for a company on Merril Field pumping AV gas. Racing guys would show up every once and a while and buy some 100/110. State tax was taken off since it wasn't going in an aircraft.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

i got some buddies that still mix in some av gas with their sleds, be careful though 100LL is leaded might damage some sensors/electronic stuff on the newer efi sleds, but i ran it back home in my indy 440s and cheetah 440 quite a bit when i'd run outta regular gas cuz my dad always had a big tank of av gas for his airplane and he'd let me use it when i didnt have any gas, i've ran quite a bit of av gas no problem in carbed motors back in the day on the homestead...

I have avgas in my truck most of the time. I used it a few times in sleds but it didn't make any performance difference. It does leave more residue on power valves for sure. I'd avoid it if possible. With all the sensors in the new sleds I use pump regular and it works great. Detonation isn't a threat any more. Spending more on premium gas doesn't make my stuff run better.

Yeah, the reason im asking is because i just picked up a 2011 sled (cfi) and it has a "gas selection chip" in it. It says if you use anything below a 91 octane to use "this one" and if you are using 91 or above to use "the other one!" I have a feeling the one for below 91 Octane will retard my sled a little bit and "the other one" will result in premium power! So now im scrambling to figure out how to get 91+ around here...

Anyone ever have any shipped up from the lower 48?

Seems kind of rediculous that Alaska refines its own gas and we dont have anything above 90 octane at the pumps.

Polaris has had those switches for about 10 years. II never noticed any difference when I changed the switch position or changed octane. The primary thing that drives high octane fuel is high compression. Premium fuel offers little or no benefit to an engine that doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Yeah, the reason im asking is because i just picked up a 2011 sled (cfi) and it has a "gas selection chip" in it. It says if you use anything below a 91 octane to use "this one" and if you are using 91 or above to use "the other one!" I have a feeling the one for below 91 Octane will retard my sled a little bit and "the other one" will result in premium power! So now im scrambling to figure out how to get 91+ around here...

Anyone ever have any shipped up from the lower 48?

Seems kind of rediculous that Alaska refines its own gas and we dont have anything above 90 octane at the pumps.

You will be fine with the 90 octane. Realize that this is the minimum. I believe they label the fuel this way because it has lost some of it's octane rating during shipment/storage.

My motorcycle (11 to 1 compresssion ratio)and my sled (cut heads with plus timing) calls for a 91 or better and I have never had any issues. Just make sure you use a station that does sell a good amount of the better fuel and if possible a station that has seperate hoses for each rating.

My new Arctic Cat M8 says 91 minimum, no option to select lower. I've only gone through a tank and a half using 90 since it is all I've seen. I really would prefer to put 91 in it since that's what it says right on the gas cap. A bit leary about octane boosters and I'm definitely not using avgas with lead.

I've read up a bit about using toluene to raise the octane but it is not an inexpensive way to go and I'm not so crazy about mixing up my own higher octane gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    My new Arctic Cat M8 says 91 minimum, no option to select lower. I've only gone through a tank and a half using 90 since it is all I've seen. I really would prefer to put 91 in it since that's what it says right on the gas cap. A bit leary about octane boosters and I'm definitely not using avgas with lead.

I've read up a bit about using toluene to raise the octane but it is not an inexpensive way to go and I'm not so crazy about mixing up my own higher octane gas.
    Im right there with ya on mixing your own!! I think ill just leave the 91+ chip in there and run er, and in the meantime search for possible 91+ sources.

Klotz octane boost works great. One ounce per gallon raises the octane by 2.5 points. I sell it down her in Valdez and run it in my mod sled. It is also a fuel stabilizer. You can purchase it at ALASKA ON & OFF ROAD SPECIALTIES MILE 48.7 PARKS HIGHWAY PHONE 907-357-3687. I was skeptical and did not want to blow a $5k motor, but race fuel is to darn expensive up here, so I gave it a try. It actually works and works well.

Wow, didn't see this thread at all.

The Polaris octane switch does work, above 7700 rpm it advances the timing a little more according to my Pol service manual. The 100ll won't hurt anything as long as isn't an o2 sensor, so better check to see. The AVgas stores better and of course, smells better too.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...