Thread: Extreme Amazon Canoes

Default Extreme Amazon Canoes

I keep looking at some of the canoes they use in the Amazon Basin. Those people get pretty extreme in their canoes. I think some of them are close to 40 feet long. They likely use them because they are so efficient on fuel.

Here is a pic of a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

You see them on the Congo and Mekong as well. Great for a trip on a big river with 25 of your closest friends. Maybe they are big in the Congo to keep the crocs from attacking them.

Default Congo River Canoe

For some reason I'm fascinated with other canoes in other parts of the world. They use what they have and the basic canoe shape seems to usually wind up to be the most efficient one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

And they have a LOT of big trees to hollow out and 3 pole power is really efficient. You are right though....not much has changed in the last 3000 yrs.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Yeah, I have one of those. Found it kinda hard to portage it by myself though...

Yes, canoes and narrow boats are used for because of fuel efficiency but the dugouts are hardly cartoppers nor trailerable for that matter.