Thread: where to shoot some clay pigeons outside around wasilla?

Default where to shoot some clay pigeons outside around wasilla?

as the title says..... i had went to the old goose bay airport awhile back, but apparently you can no longer shoot there. anyone know of a good spot?

At the moment there isn't one unless you include Birchwood. Just go find some public land with a good backstop and have at it.

Right before you get to the end of Knik Road, on your left, there is the Tug Bar. On the weekends (Maybe weekdays too?), they do skeet/pigeon shooting in a pretty lax atmosphere... call ahead to see if there is a competition going on or not... sometimes there are a bunch of people there..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i just bought the kids a launcher and a case of clays for x mas.. setting it up in the back yard,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i just bought the kids a launcher and a case of clays for x mas.. setting it up in the back yard,
    That's nice I will send you some candy...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    That's nice I will send you some candy...
    AFTER you open each wrapper and lick each one, i am sure.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just go find some public land with a good backstop and have at it.
    Don't follow this advise and go to the Knik river. Now that it is managed as the Knik Public Use Recreation Area there is no target shooting, which includes clay pigeons. Eventually they will build a range on public land in the Knik, but that is being held up by a lawsuit last time I checked into it.

Since Goose Bay is a wildlife refuge you could never target shoot there either, but it as never enforced until they spent all that money this year doing the cleanup.

I recommend going to Birchwood and buying one of their yearly family memeberships which will save a lot of money over the dialy fee as long as you use it at least 5 times a month on average.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Don't follow this advise and go to the Knik river. Now that it is managed as the Knik Public Use Recreation Area there is no target shooting, which includes clay pigeons. Eventually they will build a range on public land in the Knik, but that is being held up by a lawsuit last time I checked into it.

Since Goose Bay is a wildlife refuge you could never target shoot there either, but it as never enforced until they spent all that money this year doing the cleanup.

I recommend going to Birchwood and buying one of their yearly family memeberships which will save a lot of money over the dialy fee as long as you use it at least 5 times a month on average.
    I wasn't talking about any refuge, and I'm fully aware of what's happening at the end of Knik. I only spend most of my life on this road and/or area, so I have a good idea on what's going on. There is no crime on shooting on public land where it is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wasn't talking about any refuge, and I'm fully aware of what's happening at the end of Knik. I only spend most of my life on this road and/or area, so I have a good idea on what's going on. There is no crime on shooting on public land where it is legal.
    And I was not talking to you. I was providing advice to the OP about his question reguarding shooting clay pigeons.

you can go out to zero lake road in houston. There are lots of nice trash pits in the area. Also if thats not to your liking I saw where a big group of people were shooting clays at a nice clean spot along that road, well it was a clean spot, now there is 12 cases of broken clays and 1000 hulls laying there.
    The best thing would be to hit up birchwood and pay the fees. You get nice auto launchers, warm up shack and you dont trash the public land.

There is also Grouse Ridge out in the Valley. http://www.grouseridge.com/memebershiprates.html Not cheap, but a nice safe place to shoot.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem