Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a light weight sheep hunting Rifle

Default Building a light weight sheep hunting Rifle

I have a Ruger M77 MRK 2 stainless in .270 win, with a ultralight leupold scope

gunsmithing
    1) Besides ordering a new light weight stock what else would you do?

2) anyone had gun smithing work done? by who?

3) The paint jobs I'm seeing on some rifles? how are they getting done?

What else to do let's see go another route the rugers are heavy already need to do alot more to lighten it up. Get a aluminum floor plate I think brownell sells them. I remember with the old tang safety 77 people complained about the aluminum floor plates so when they brought out the mkII the went to a steel one a people complained to heavy lol. I know ruger barrels have a lot meat especially around the shank. Me I would go buy one of the Remington 700 adl at sportsman warehouse for 399.00 junk the stock on the rifle go to ultralight synthetic stock, the 700 would be a better platform.

I traded the barrel out for the lighter contour one from a "ultra-light" ruger. That took off 8-9 oz on my gun. The draw-back is the the factory ultra-light barrel is only 20", which is pretty dang short for a .270. A better option would probably be to get your hands on a good aftermarket barrel in a #1 or featherweight contour and have it installed by a good gunsmith. You are starting to talk money at that point though. You have a budget for this build?

I think the aluminum bottom metal for the Mk II's come off the ultra-light version of the guns. I can't verify that though.

Lightweight stocks are also pretty hard (although not impossible) to find for a Mk II. Did you have one in mind?

Yk

Sell the rifle and pick yourself up a Kimber Montana. Rugers don't do "light" very well.

Two extra pounds of rifle is nothing next to packing out the meat.JMHO but this light weight rifle thing is out of control considering the young healthy folks doing this type of hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If I were you, I'd admire the rifle for what it is.......a rugged and reliable tool. By the time you spent all that money on that long-action Ruger (stock, barrel, bottom metal, ect.) you could've sensibly bought a rifle that already came from the factory that was both lightweight, and more affordable than the route you're about to go. My uncle has a Tikka 30-06 that is lighter than a short action Ruger 77, and he paid all of $600 for the darned thing. Winchester's new model 70 (affordable) is also very light, if a mauser-claw is what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Sell the rifle and pick yourself up a Kimber Montana. Rugers don't do "light" very well.
    You'd be ahead in all respects if you went this route.

If you want to "build" a light sheep hunting rifle I'd start with a Rem 700 SA in stainless steel.
    If your dead set on using the Ruger, loosing the boat paddle stock is about all you can really do to cut weight.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Two extra pounds of rifle is nothing next to packing out the meat.JMHO but this light weight rifle thing is out of control considering the young healthy folks doing this type of hunting.
    Affirmatory, on that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I've carried an 8lb rifle sheep hunting before. I much prefer my 6lb Remington TI.

I always try and limit the weight I carry. Do you bone out your sheep?
    I do imagine our sheep hunting styles might be a wee bit different though.....IMHO.

You could do a lot worse than a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM that is already a 6.25 pounds for only $500 or less.

I like to think of myself as young, healthy, and smart. I spend my money on light weight gear other than my rifle. I've also spent my limited funds on reloading equipment. I'm still out humping around "The Hammer". It's a pig Remington 721 wood and blued that shoots great. When it comes down to it, for me, there's just no easy way to hunt the mountains.

I've never modified my M77 either, it's just another heavy iron. It's built right and takes a beating the way it is.

I like the looks of all 270Ti Remington rifles and Ramhunter from POW. Those guys know a thing or two about good shooting lightweight firearms. I think they are also using a Remington platform for custom builds.

I'd just buy any youth model carbon stocked (stainless?) .270 ( which will be ltwt) and be done with spending money on cu$tom stuff.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Anyone ever mess around with this "lightweight sheep rifle" idea using a single shot action? Like maybe an 1885 high wall or ruger #1? I'd like to think that in theory, a single shot rifle could be made light than a bolt rifle. Anyone ever seen this?

Lke bobblehead said...go with a single shot.
    The Ruger #1 is actually quite heavy, and too nice for sheep mountains.
    The T/C would be my choice.

If you're clever, get a used remington mountain rifle of any medium game flavor (be sure you DON'T get one with detachable magazine). If you reload, keep eyes out for 280. If not, get 270 or 30-06. Then, keep an eye out on some of the larger gun loony forums for a takeoff first generation remington TI stock, and slap it in there. You might have to find an ADL triggerguard to suit. Dress it out with talley lightweights and a leupold fixed power scope in 4x or 6x - don't muck with the "ultralights" or "compacts". Done right, you have less than $600 in rifle/rings, and your package will weigh well under 7 lbs. I'm at 6lb 8oz with this recipe in 30-06, with a leupy fixed 6x36mm scope, and the heavy factory remington/limbsaver recoil pad removed in favor of one cut from a shower shoe.

Or, save yourself the trouble and get a kimber montana for less weight and a little more dough. Sell the ruger - no real hope for ultralight there unless you own a machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Anyone ever mess around with this "lightweight sheep rifle" idea using a single shot action? Like maybe an 1885 high wall or ruger #1? I'd like to think that in theory, a single shot rifle could be made light than a bolt rifle. Anyone ever seen this?
    I believe the Blaser guys make a really light and beautiful single shot but its $$$... all the American singles I've seen weigh about equally with a lightweight bolt gun.

Given our lightweight metal technology, I'd love to see how light you could make a falling block single, combined with the shorter action length...tallk about sweet to carry!

LIGHT AND HIGHLY ACCURATE: Purchase a Colt Light Rifle, have a good gunsmith do the trigger, accuratize, and place in a light stock using Talley one piece rings/bases. It is not generally known that these guns are a Melvin Forbes NULA barreled action in a plastic stock. My 300 WM with three rounds in the mag, 5 rounds on the stock, sling, and 2.5 x 8 Leupold with a 24" barrel weighs 6 lb 8 oz., and consistently shoots 3/4" groups with 180 gr. bullets at 3150 fps. Be advised that the recoil is SIGNIFICANT and does take some getting used to.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Years ago I bought a slightly used Ruger MKII 30-06 ultra light for a not much money. Its pretty light feeling even with an old VariX-II 2-7. I have been thinking about a synthetic stock for it and that appears to be something that just is not affordable due to the "rareness" of my rifle. There are a couple of makers out there like Bell and Carlson and a company in portland that makes carbon fiber stocks. B&C has horrible reviews for some of the ruger stocks, but this might be based on someone buying the wrong stock for the wrong age/type of ruger. With any of these stocks my light weight barrel would be free floating since none are made for this conture.

As others have said your gun is not going to get much lighter without a lot of financial input. You can buy a factory synthetic stock from Brownells.

The use of a single shot rifle should be considered for mountain hunting. A Ruger No.3 in 270/280/7mm-08 etc would be a pretty OK mountain gun. One of the NEF handi-rifles in a sheep cartridge will be light weight enough as well. Based on a lot of posts here you only need more than one shot when shooting a sheep at over 400 yards. (turn on sarcastic function at this point).

As for the painting rifles there is a good thread or two in the gunsmithing forum down the page.

Ok, might as well add some comments about this.
    If it were me (and this is exactly the route I did take) buy either a new or used Win 70 in either 270, 7mm, or 300 WSM and drop it into a McMillan edge stock.
    Certaintly not the lighest rifle on the planet but a good combination of price and "lightness". If memory serves me correctly mine weighs 7 pounds 3 ounces wearing a Leupold 2.5x8. But she sure does kick (mine is a 300 WSM) and takes some practice to master off the bench.

Never shot a Colt rifle but here great things about them. Watch the auction sites and in todays economy you might be able to find a good deal on one.
    Tennessee

I looked on the Colt website and couldn't find any single shot rifles. Shphtr do you have photo or link to that rifle? I'd really like to look at it. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast