Thread: Just Handled a new Winchester Stainless Featherweight.....wow!

Default Just Handled a new Winchester Stainless Featherweight.....wow!

Stopped into the gun store and picked up a model 70 Featherweight and it was the smoothest bolt rifle I've handled in a very long time. It was sleek, light, smooth, and of the highest quality I've ever seen in an American made rifle in a long time. Even down to the smallest details like the magazine follower being an obvious piece of machined steel (not cast), this gun was of the highest quality. The stock looked like something off a fancy custom rifle, and the pacmeyer recoil pad was a nice touch too.

What do you possibly have against cast pot metal, sheet metal stampings including extractors, plastic, rough cast receiver rails, impressed checkering, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Stopped into the gun store and picked up a model 70 Featherweight and it was the smoothest bolt rifle I've handled in a very long time. It was sleek, light, smooth, and of the highest quality I've ever seen in an American made rifle in a long time. Even down to the smallest details like the magazine follower being an obvious piece of machined steel (not cast), this gun was of the highest quality. The stock looked like something off a fancy custom rifle, and the pacmeyer recoil pad was a nice touch too.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    What do you possibly have against cast pot metal, sheet metal stampings including extractors, plastic, rough cast receiver rails, impressed checkering, etc?
    Nothing against the above mentioned at all, I was just simply admiring such a fine quality piece of American Craftsmanship that was from what I could tell on the price tag.......affordable as could be.

Exactly -it is great to see something an affordable American made firearm that uses forgings, real steel, checked walnut, etc. instead of the normal junk we ordinarily get pushed at us.

I've also been impressed by the new Winchesters I've seen- let's hope they sell well and set a new standard for the rest of the firearm industry. If I decide to break down and get a new rifle I'll give one a try.

Nothing against the above mentioned at all, I was just simply admiring such a fine quality piece of American Craftsmanship that was from what I could tell on the price tag.......affordable as could be.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Exactly -it is great to see something an affordable American made firearm that uses forgings, real steel, checked walnut, etc. instead of the normal junk we ordinarily get pushed at us.

I've also been impressed by the new Winchesters I've seen- let's hope they sell well and set a new standard for the rest of the firearm industry. If I decide to break down and get a new rifle I'll give one a try.
    This is kind of hilarious.......I'm about to "hi-jack" my own thread...............

It appears America is taking back our industries and honestly dominating them. This is coming from a Guy who drives a Toyota truck (but now wish I had a Ford), and a guy who admires my CZ and Browning Rifles (made in the Czech Republic and Miroku Japan).........and now wish I had a Winchester Model 70 made better in America.

So here's the Hi-Jack:
    http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/expe...1033|205363816

It's Ford's new 3.5 liter eco-boost. Fuel economy like a 4 cylinder engine, but out of this world with it's utility uses in a truck against V8 engines. Watch all those torture test videos on this new marvel of American Engineering that far exceeds something I ever expected from "American Made"
    D a m n..........it's a good day to be a proud American.

This is kind of hilarious.......I'm about to "hi-jack" my own thread...............

So here's the Hi-Jack:
    http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/expe...1033|205363816

It's Ford's new 3.5 liter eco-boost. Fuel economy like a 4 cylinder engine, but out of this world with it's utility uses in a truck against V8 engines. Watch all those torture test videos on this new marvel of American Engineering that far exceeds something I ever expected from "American Made"
    D a m n..........it's a good day to be a proud American.

I like your sarcasm here. Ford is nuts having two V6's in their engine lineup. The only 6, in a truck, that was ever good was the 4.9L(300 cid)! In my 1993 f150 4x4 I always got between 19-23 mpg. 2 more miles per gallon must really be a big deal........

Ron

Thanks Mainer

I retired my 35 year old Ruger 77 in 243 this year. I only know of one other gun that might have killed as many fox and coyotes as that old rascal has. It's shot.... the bore looks like a dirt road. 1 1/2 in groups in it's day are now about 3 inches on a good day!

I replaced it with a Weatherby Vanguard also in 243 that was going to carry me the rest of my coyote chasing days. Since I ain't getting no younger I opted for the one with the 20 inch barrel because I still do track them for miles on end some days thus weight was a consideration. However this Weatherby simply doesn't look where I'm shooting. The last two weekends I shot 20 rounds at running coyotes with it and only made them run faster. The Weatherby has more drop in the stock and feels great when shouldering it but the fact is that when it comes to actually getting on target and holding the cross hairs still while swing through the critter for the shot the drop in the stock and the buggy whip light barrel just aren't what I'm used to...I'm all over the place with that thing. This is no fault of the Weatherby just not what I've grown accustomed to.

The second thing I'm finding is in regards to going from control round feed to push feed. I'm used to the claw grabbing the shell and having control of the shell. If I shove the bolt 3/4 of the way home and pull it back the claw still has the shell. My gun always has a loaded magazine while in the truck driving through the fields. The bolt is always open and pulled back until I am out of the truck then instinct has the bolt going forward and the handle down as the gun is being shouldered. One time last week I had a round in the chamber already when I cycled the bolt forward picking up another round. That kind of binds things up in a hurry and makes mr coyotie laugh at me. I had gotten out of the truck to take a shot about 10 minutes prior and started to close the bolt just as the coyote dove into a ditch. I had pushed the bolt far enough ahead to pop the round out of the magazine and into the chamber. I then pulled the bolt back leaving the round in the chamber. Ya can't short shuck a control round feed gun and this was the first time in 30+ years I ever had that happen.

Since I live for this time of year and coyote killing, that coupled with the fact that the coyotes will be pairing up in a couple of weeks (the hunting gets real good), I decided yesterday that I needed to do something drastic and in a hurry. Getting the old Ruger rebarreled now is out of the question for this year. I stayed up half the night looking at new guns on the web and at about 2 AM I decided to sleep on it. Then I got up this morning, grabbed a cup off coffee and sat down at the computer to see what was happening in Alaska........this thread and my predicament lead to this....http://ww.gunbroker.com/Auction/View...Item=209010623

Mainer, could you PM me with your phone number in case Mother Dearest feels the need to holler at someone concerning this purchase? After all you brought it up...if not I'll just go untie Ole Ruger and he and I will hang out in the garage all day....again!

Yah know what? This is the third time this week that somebody "blamed" me for buying a gun based on something I wrote on this forum. Explain it to her like this: It's a late Christmas gift for yourself and you justified it because you're going to consolidate unused hunting tools around the house and prepare them to be sold. If that don't work, just call numbah I PM'd yah......and I'll assure her that ur not the only man around who purchases first and ask questions later.......or better yet.....answers questions later. But like that coyote who hightailed it for the ditch........I'll probably do the same d a m n thing when women get to naggin.

Congrats EKC on the new toy! That should do the trick for sure...
    As for the explanation - well, hmm - I usually say "Gee honey, would you rather we stayed home together ALL day and "fool" around or should I buy a new gun and go hunting while you go shopping "? She has always "encouraged" my gun habits!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Actually it's way better to get yelled at and get it over with than get the silent treatment for a day or two. Really she has gotten kind of numb to my ways so nothing I do really surprises her much. I unretired so I could still play my gun games without putting us in the poor house. I did tell her a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't buy any more guns this year. I was thinking I only had a few weeks to go and I couldn't even get that done.

I am keeping this one for ever though...........

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Actually it's way better to get yelled at and get it over with than get the silent treatment for a day or two. Really she has gotten kind of numb to my ways so nothing I do really surprises her much. I unretired so I could still play my gun games without putting us in the poor house. I did tell her a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't buy any more guns this year. I was thinking I only had a few weeks to go and I couldn't even get that done.

I am keeping this one for ever though...........
    LOL, I play the end of year game too. If men were strong enuff to say no to the gun buying then we likely would have said no to the marrying stuff too - lets face it, we are weak so we might as well be HAPPY with a new gun - or two or three!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yeah, the new FHN Winchester's are better than most of the rest of the rifles you see on the gun racks today.

Every new Winchester I have seen has been excellent and shot pretty well also. My hunting partner just got a M70 Super Grade in 300WM and it shoots really nice and man, it is a great looking rifle. Makes me kinda wanna get a new Winchester also! Scotty

Semper Fi