Thread: Tikka .308?

Default Tikka .308?

Does anyone know if the Tikka .308 is worth the buy? I'm thinking about getting one for the wife. She is picky on how well rifles sit on her shoulder as well she should for that part. But is a .308 good enough for up here? This will be her first rifle.

Thanks.

I picked up a Tikka ultra lite 270 from Sportsmans Warehouse a few months ago for my wife. She liked the fit of the rifle, and th light weight is easier for her to carry around. It is a very nice rifle.

The 308 is a great caliber, and is capable of taking anything in the state with a well placed shot. It may not not be the ideal caliber for brown bear, but will work for everything else.
    Use of product voids warranty.

If she likes it.... YES & YES

165g bullets are minimum, 180's are better.

Brother-in-law just picked one up, dropped a scope on it and after getting it close @ 25yds it threw a sub 1 inch group pre-breakin.

My only complaint is that they have a detachable mag that's a bit spendy. Never been a fan of detachable mags. But if it fits her & she likes it.... it'll serve both of you well.

I guess it would depend on what the rifle weight is. My buddy got a Montana in 308 and it is the most miserable thing in the world to shoot. I don't know if its the stock design or what but I think its just too light. My 308 Remington and Savages are a joy to shoot. Maybe have her shoot a loaner and let her pick which one feels the best.
    I think the 308 is a great round even for brown bear, its pretty much all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    I guess it would depend on what the rifle weight is. My buddy got a Montana in 308 and it is the most miserable thing in the world to shoot. I don't know if its the stock design or what but I think its just too light. My 308 Remington and Savages are a joy to shoot. Maybe have her shoot a loaner and let her pick which one feels the best.
    I think the 308 is a great round even for brown bear, its pretty much all I use.
    Yes......it's the stock design.........that's about as appealing as shooting a barreled action attached to a 2x4........which would essentially duplicate the feel of a Kimber IMO.

Tikka 308 is a long action modified to take a short action cartridge.........my question if this was my hard earned dollahs is.......why??

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yes......it's the stock design.........that's about as appealing as shooting a barreled action attached to a 2x4........which would essentially duplicate the feel of a Kimber IMO.

Tikka 308 is a long action modified to take a short action cartridge.........my question if this was my hard earned dollahs is.......why??
    Not sure if its you or the Kimber Mainer. I have 2 rifles in .308. One is a Model 7 chopped down a little to make room for a grind to fit recoil pad and while my wife likes it, I feel it kicks harder than my Kimber Montana .308 that is a full pound lighter. Recoil is more about personal fit than anything else. Sounds like they don't fit you which is a bummer.

Like you mentioned the Tikka is on a long action platform so you don't actually save any weight be going to a short action cartridge like a .308. If I were you and the Tikkas fit you I would look at a 30-06 or even a 300 WM in the T3. I like Tikka rifles, had one in 300 WM that I really enjoyed, just picked up that Kimber 308 and it never left the safe so I got rid of it after that. just wish Tikka rewarded the shorter actions with some actual weight savings in their rifles but since they don't might as well have the same weight rifle in something with a little more umph. Good luck.

Not to rain on anyones parade and I will agree with you all in that they shoot. But I wouldn't set up my ex-wife,(if I had one), with a Tikka T3. Those rifles, while certainly accurate, never seen one that didn't shoot, are garbage. When a company capable of making very nice rifles starts putting stuff together with PLASTIC where there should be metal I'm running the other way.

I don't normally bash products unless they really deserve it and IMO the T3 deserves it bigtime. I have had 3 come across my workbench in the last 2 years all of them wrecked, unrepairable. In one instance the shooter was injured rather seriously. Now some may scream Bad Handloads!!! Right out of the gate, but in at least one instance I definately don't believe that to be true. The other two maybe, maybe not.
    What I do know for fact is that real rifles have safety features built into them to protect the shooter in the event of escaped gasses from an over pressure cartridge. Some models are good some less so, the T3 handles gas the worst of any design I have ever seen in production. The shroud on the back of a rifles bolt is there to divert gas away from your face in the event of blowback, Paul Mauser designed it that way wayyyyy back in the 1890's. It may seem unlikely that the little flange on a bolt shroud would help much, but they do work, saved me from getting crap spewed in my face on a couple occasions, what does Tikka do? Make the ****ed thing out of freakin PLASTIC!!!! What happens when gas comes down the left raceway at high speed? The PLASTIC turns into basically shotgun pellets that imbed in your face and sans glasses, your eyes.

Now if that weren't bad enough, what gas can't make it down the left raceway goes out the magwell. Usually exploding the plastic magazine into little bits to implant themselves in your arm.

I know they are accurate and I know many guys who have them and love them. But reload a case one too many times or screw up a powder charge and I promise you'll regret it. If anybody thinks breaking a bolt handle off a Rem700 when your beating the bolt open on a stuck case is bad, they ain't seen nothing yet. Bolt handles can be welded back on, you only get one spare eye.

+ 1

If she likes the feel of it then the Tikka in general is a great gun. Alot of people bash it for having plastic parts, but that makes it light (which my wife loves) and most Tikka owners will tell you they've (and thier spouses) have had great experiences both shooting them on the range and hunting with them in the field. I also have to agree that it may be benificial to step up to a 30-06 IF SHE CAN HANDLE IT, but the .308 is a great round and Tikka is a great gun... so enjoy!

-Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

LOP is the key. Make sure the rifle fits her before anything else. A good fitting 30-06 will be easier to shoot than an ill fitting 308. My short wife loves the Ruger Compact 308 because it is a natural fit for her. My buddies taller wife shoots my tikka no problem.

The Tikka T3 is a great rifle. Dependable, accurate, smooth action and adjustable trigger(2-4lbs). In a .308 I recommend the T3 Hunter rather than the T3 Lite because it has a little more weight to it, still under 7lbs.. If it fits her, buy it. You can't do any better.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN

Thanks for all the info. A lot more than I thought I would receive, but given this website everyone gives helpful advice.

I'll tell her to look at the 30-06 as well to see if it fits her.