View Poll Results: Which AR Upper would you choose for General duty up north.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • .243 wssm

14 73.68%
  • .25 wssm

5 26.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a Caliber.

Default Help me pick a Caliber.

I am slimming down my collection and taking just what I need for the trip North as soon as school is done. I expected to be up there already, but schooling changed things a little.

Anyhow, I have learned that my AR15 in .223 is only good out to 300 yards in windy weather and that is not very consistent. I do a lot of coyote and bobcat hunting down here in Washington. On the west side the .223 is fine, on the east side where the wind howls and the shots can be out to 600 yards, it is almost worthless.

I have decided to sell a few of my rifles that I do not need and buy an Olympic Arms upper. I am thinking of going with either the .243 wssm or the 25 wssm. This gun will be for caribou, deer, wolves and yotes at extreme ranges. I will keep my .223 upper for closer or lighter duties.

Your opinions please.

extreme range? up here farther out might be a bad thing(packing back) I can't speak for the wssm , but a regular 243 will do all you want as far as the game you have listed. my R-15 in 223 has been great so far for the yotes, but I always go to my .270 for caribou & when i get the chance deer

300WM in stainless will take good care of you in most any situation, if you're going out in the winter after the bears are denned up the 243 is a good all around choice, again, in stainless. You'll always be able to find ammo in either of those two calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    300WM in stainless will take good care of you in most any situation, if you're going out in the winter after the bears are denned up the 243 is a good all around choice, again, in stainless. You'll always be able to find ammo in either of those two calibers.
    How do you get the 300 Win. Mag. cartridge to work in a AR rifle?

How about if you tell us WHERE up north your going to be?

I would suggest not using the ssm calibers and if you like ARs then get an AR-10 in 243 or 308.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

First off extreme long ranges isn't something that I would strive for. I have found that most AK animals can be taken consistently at pretty close range. I do like AR's and I may yet pick up a 25wssm upper. My purpose would be for the kids to use on caribou primarily since the adjustable stock makes them always a perfect fit. That said I will most likely go with a AR-P built 6.8spc, it has all the range I will ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How about if you tell us WHERE up north your going to be?

I would suggest not using the ssm calibers and if you like ARs then get an AR-10 in 243 or 308.
    I second that. Shooting at such long ranges is not a common hunting scenario up here. There have been many discissions on this subject in this forum, the general consensus, and my experience as well, is that most shots occur well under 200 yards, even at caribou.

If you plan to take a shot at a critter at 500-600 yards be darn sure you understand the terrain between you and the target, it may well be 600yards of hell to get across and back, if even doable.

In addition to the cartridges already mentioned, what is the most powerful and flatttest shooting caliber that can be used with the AR platform?

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I second that. Shooting at such long ranges is not a common hunting scenario up here. There have been many discissions on this subject in this forum, the general consensus, and my experience as well, is that most shots occur well under 200 yards, even at caribou.

If you plan to take a shot at a critter at 500-600 yards be darn sure you understand the terrain between you and the target, it may well be 600yards of hell to get across and back, if even doable.
    This is REAL, you could really regret knocking something down a Long Ways Away for several reasons, that last line of .338's being one

You might take a read through this thread on the "Distance of our first shot,"
    it's pretty interesting and reveals the percentage of short range kills that most are making.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ot%2C+how+long

I'd say, to your original question, "Skip the Super Shorts, stick with the .243"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

If you are dead set on it being a WSSM cartridge go with the 243 WSSM if not then get a standard 243, the only reason I say this is the availability of ammo up here is not what you are accustomed to in WA. WSSM ammo and even WSM ammo up here is pretty slim most guys reload their own.

And for future reference you are not allowed to discuss shooting at anything over 300 yards/meters on here or you will be met with lots of resistance.

You might try the longrangehunting forum or 24hourcampfire they seem to be a little more understanding and insightful on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If you are dead set on it being a WSSM cartridge go with the 243 WSSM if not then get a standard 243, the only reason I say this is the availability of ammo up here is not what you are accustomed to in WA. WSSM ammo and even WSM ammo up here is pretty slim most guys reload their own.
    S&$@ sportsman has a ton of 243 wssm ammo. The only problem it is a barrel burner Winchester and browning had to chrome line the barrels. Look at the 6.5 creedmore (sp) especially for some long range shooting

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    And for future reference you are not allowed to discuss shooting at anything over 300 yards/meters on here or you will be met with lots of resistance.

You might try the longrangehunting forum or 24hourcampfire they seem to be a little more understanding and insightful on that subject.
    accurate reloading another good forum...

If you noticed I consider 200 yards a long shot and 300 all but impossible in windy conditions with a .223. I am looking at extending my range especially in windy conditions, but until I actually shoot the rifle and get some time behind the trigger I have no idea how far I will be able to shoot with it.

I found out real quick that 200 yards here on the west side of Washington is not that big of a deal with my AR, but on the east side with a 20 mile an hour cross wind is very, very difficult especially on a coyote size target. I generally have to walk shots into one and that is not always successful.

I am not trying to be "super sniper" I am looking to extend my range in the wind. I am also slimming down my gun collection and looking at trying to find calibers that are less specialized and will work for a broader range of animals. I know nothing is ideal.

The two calibers I posted are two that I have been looking at because they fit my AR Lowers. Yes there is also a .300 OSSM but wanted something smaller and flatter shooting than a 30. This gun right now is dedicated to predators and I suspect it will be the same up North. I am just hoping to get real opinions from those who live there and already have experience.

BTW: I trying to take less than 10 guns up with me and sell the rest for moving expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How do you get the 300 Win. Mag. cartridge to work in a AR rifle?
    That wont even fit an AR-10...

If you're set on the AR-15 the 6.5 Grendel is a bit more popular than the WSSM's but I agree with the other guys... go with an AR-10. You can get any of the WSM's in there and the 7mm WSM is a flat shooting round with a punch, you can also go with the 6.5 creedmoor or 260 Rem check out http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php they have all sorts of good stuff.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I am just hoping to get real opinions from those who live there and already have experience.
    Your getting experienced answers. Only problem is few of us bother with getting experience at 5-600 yd shots. Most here think along the lines of stalking or calling the animal closer.
    Many Alaskans consider the 223 a good caliber for the species you listed.
    I am skeptical you can improve your wind problem by much with any caliber, when shooting out beyond 400 yds.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your getting experienced answers. Only problem is few of us bother with getting experience at 5-600 yd shots. Most here think along the lines of stalking or calling the animal closer.
    Many Alaskans consider the 223 a good caliber for the species you listed.
    I am skeptical you can improve your wind problem by much with any caliber, when shooting out beyond 400 yds.
    I appreciate everyone who has answered back. My second post was just to clarify my question some.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I am slimming down my collection and taking just what I need for the trip North as soon as school is done. I expected to be up there already, but schooling changed things a little.

Anyhow, I have learned that my AR15 in .223 is only good out to 300 yards in windy weather and that is not very consistent. I do a lot of coyote and bobcat hunting down here in Washington. On the west side the .223 is fine, on the east side where the wind howls and the shots can be out to 600 yards, it is almost worthless.

I have decided to sell a few of my rifles that I do not need and buy an Olympic Arms upper. I am thinking of going with either the .243 wssm or the 25 wssm. This gun will be for caribou, deer, wolves and yotes at extreme ranges. I will keep my .223 upper for closer or lighter duties.

Your opinions please.
    The school thing is informative. Just my opinion, but I think you may not have that much experience. You are approaching Alaska and other extreme hunting the wrong way. Trade up to a more effective and flexible rifle that will kill a variety of animals. A bolt action 30-06 or 270 may seem utterly boring to you, but they work for almost everything. In Alaska, my own choice would be my 6.5-06 for sheep and a .338 (many versions) or .375 H&H for everything else. Of course, my experience is based on those, but it seems to be shared by many others.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    The school thing is informative. Just my opinion, but I think you may not have that much experience. You are approaching Alaska and other extreme hunting the wrong way. Trade up to a more effective and flexible rifle that will kill a variety of animals. A bolt action 30-06 or 270 may seem utterly boring to you, but they work for almost everything. In Alaska, my own choice would be my 6.5-06 for sheep and a .338 (many versions) or .375 H&H for everything else. Of course, my experience is based on those, but it seems to be shared by many others.

Norm
    I don't know I am assuming that one of the other 9 rifles he says he is bringing w/ him will suffice for most animals.

For predators in the interior I could see potential for longer shots but even there I would gamble that over 300 yards would be exceedingly rare. I have considered the 25wssm for predator hunting and I have not had any problem finding the winchester ammo at sportsmans warehouse any time I have looked for it. Some time spent looking up factory loads and playing with something like the point blank ballistics software could help you decide what you want. It will also give you some insight into what the bullet will do when you send it down range in various different conditions.

For me the 6.8SPC seems to be the best balance of bullet weight vs cost. Plenty of punch for any winter predator in AK and I would use it for caribou and black bear as well. It is WAY cheaper than any WSSM which is a huge plus and the mag capacity is much better. The 6.8SPC also will achieve pretty close to maximum velocity out of a 16" tube which makes for a very packable rig. In AK the heavy guns just become a PITA to carry around. We don't have hot barrel action like the prairie dog towns down south. We also tend to cover lots of miles off road for predator hunting which means you lug it around! It's nothing like the south where they drive from one stand to the next on farm roads in a pick up truck. Did I mention the SPC is way cheaper? The WSSM AR's beg the question: What fun is an AR rifle if you can't afford to put plenty of rounds down range?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't know I am assuming that one of the other 9 rifles he says he is bringing w/ him will suffice for most animals.

For me the 6.8SPC seems to be the best balance of bullet weight vs cost. Plenty of punch for any winter predator in AK and I would use it for caribou and black bear as well. It is WAY cheaper than any WSSM which is a huge plus and the mag capacity is much better. The 6.8SPC also will achieve pretty close to maximum velocity out of a 16" tube which makes for a very packable rig. In AK the heavy guns just become a PITA to carry around. We don't have hot barrel action like the prairie dog towns down south. We also tend to cover lots of miles off road for predator hunting which means you lug it around! It's nothing like the south where they drive from one stand to the next on farm roads in a pick up truck. Did I mention the SPC is way cheaper? The WSSM AR's beg the question: What fun is an AR rifle if you can't afford to put plenty of rounds down range?
    That makes sense, but my assumption is that off-beat ammo is not that available in AK. Is 6.8SPC something that you can get easily?

Sure, if he has nine other rifles, the odds are that he has something that would suffice, but his focus seems to be on a black rifle. Something that I could never warm up to for any purpose.

Norm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast