Thread: Knife sharpener

Default Knife sharpener

I spotted this today at AIH in Fairbanks, any feedback?
    If you own one, what do you think?

http://www.worksharptools.com/index....harpeners.html
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Well when and if you get one let us know how well it works. My first concern would be on harder steel knives, I had a cold steel tanto destroyed due too someone using a device like this.

That looks like it would be better suited to axes or lawn mower blades to me. If you are sharpening high end blades or ewant to shave with your knife get an edgepro... http://edgeproinc204.corecommerce.com/

Nuthin' beats the DMT 2 1/4"x10" Sharpeners! Course, Fine & extra Fine! Are some dandy sharpeners! Likewise, they sharpen both knives & Broadheads! Most notable, the fixed three bladers like Montec, or Magnus...These sharpeners are just AWESOME!
    Last edited by gogoalie; 12-30-2010 at 12:21. Reason: Add

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    That looks like it would be better suited to axes or lawn mower blades to me. If you are sharpening high end blades or ewant to shave with your knife get an edgepro... http://edgeproinc204.corecommerce.com/
    Robert, Thanks for the link, it looks like a very nice system. Similar in concept to a Lansky setup, but looks to be more accurate.
    I have used stones for years and can get a keen edge, but as always looking for a better faster system. Have you used this system?
    I was wondering how well it would work on a 10" filet knife?
    John
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Robert, Thanks for the link, it looks like a very nice system. Similar in concept to a Lansky setup, but looks to be more accurate.
    I have used stones for years and can get a keen edge, but as always looking for a better faster system. Have you used this system?
    I was wondering how well it would work on a 10" filet knife?
    John
    I've had one for many years it came with a video that walks u through it... now they have a cd (guess it dates me). They are pretty amazing in that you can hone all your knives to shave the hair off your arms; something I was never really able to do before I bought it. If you lurk the knife boards u will see that the afficiendoes all like and recommend this system. Mine works for all my knives, from my folders to my kitchen knives, including filet knives. Just doesn't work on serrated edges but I think you can buy a scissor attachment.

Another recommendation for the edge pro. I get my knives razor sharp before the season and then touch up after a ceramic rod after each use.

If you want a sharp knife fast you cant beat a chefs choice. Razor sharp in less than five minutes.

Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    If you want a sharp knife fast you cant beat a chefs choice. Razor sharp in less than five minutes.

Just my humble opinion.
    Those look pretty interesting also......which model do you have? Can you sharpen even a small pocket knife?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I spotted this today at AIH in Fairbanks, any feedback?
    If you own one, what do you think?

http://www.worksharptools.com/index....harpeners.html
    Geees, what do you do to your knives that need a sharpener like that. I have had one of those little pen sized pocket sharpeners for years. It's just a steel bar with diamond inpregnated in it. Telescoping pocket sharpener is all it is and it leaves the edge of your knives like a razer. Heck, if your trying to cut steel with your knives, then just get a $39 bench grinder at Home Depot.
    I've been using the same hunting and fishing knives for 45 + years now and never had to put any of em to a power grinder. If you need to reshape a knife blade, get a good quality mill file and then finish with the diamond steel.
    Any power sharpener will burn the blade edge and ruin your knife forever.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Geees, what do you do to your knives that need a sharpener like that. I have had one of those little pen sized pocket sharpeners for years. It's just a steel bar with diamond inpregnated in it. Telescoping pocket sharpener is all it is and it leaves the edge of your knives like a razer. Heck, if your trying to cut steel with your knives, then just get a $39 bench grinder at Home Depot.
    I've been using the same hunting and fishing knives for 45 + years now and never had to put any of em to a power grinder. If you need to reshape a knife blade, get a good quality mill file and then finish with the diamond steel.
    Any power sharpener will burn the blade edge and ruin your knife forever.
    Bear on toilet, I just use em like any one else...nope not cutting thru my cast iron fryin pans or concrete with my pocketknife, been using the same knives for years also, know how to sharpen on a stone ok (see #5), yeah I have one of those little telescoping diamond thingies, I think I gave it to my wife. I wouldnt put a decent knife on a bench grinder.....####*****.................just like en sharp tho, as mentioned B 4, something quicker would be nice...........
    TR