Thread: Superformance & leverevolution powder

Default Superformance & leverevolution powder

nearly 3 years since the introduction of leverevolution ammunition ( making ordinary lever rifles a 300-400yd proposition ) hodgdon is offering powder in superformance & leverevolution.

this new powder makes it possible to duplicate the factory ballistics made famous by the hornady ammunition.

hoping for a christmas miracle that was not to be..... i completed my order today to include the new hornady handbook number 8. this will be great! has anyone else tried these new components? i am looking forward to some work at the loading bench this winter.
    happy trails.
    jh

Keep us posted Pinehaven,
    I have fought the urge to reload the 4570 simply because I can usually pick up the factory 325's for less than $30 a box and at $1.50 a round I doubt I can reload them much cheaper???
    Randy
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

I read a test last month about the new powders. I don't remember if it was this line or Alliants new Power Pro spherical stuff. Anyway, they claimed 30-06 velocities from a .308 with bullets under 180gr, looks like a good year for new recipes...

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i completed my order today to include the new hornady handbook number 8. this will be great! has anyone else tried these new components?

When you say "completed" your order do you mean you received it? I was under the impression that those two powders weren't even going to ship to distributors until sometime in the spring of 2011.

A quick update,
    I went into 3Bears (Kenai) yesterday and they were unboxing a shipment of both the new powders! People were standing there buying as they unpacked and I was able to grab the last pound of the Superformance that they had...but they had plenty of the Leverevolution on hand. Price was very nice at $22.69/lb. Unfortunately it will be awhile before I get to try it out due to work but feel lucky to have timed my arrival. I can't say enough about the new 3Bears sporting goods section, at least for us Kenai folks, they cover a broad range of needs, listen to suggestions, and offer Cabela pricing instead of gouging with the "Alaskan markup"! Anyway, the new powders have hit Alaska...

after making a number of calls i found the powders AVAILABLE at midwayusa, and orderd 8 pounds. it was shipped on wed.
    happy trails.
    jh

There's certainly not much out there for load data for the Superformance powder. And what Hodgdon has published all seems to be for the new(ish) breed of short-fat cases. I wonder if there will be more in the future...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    There's certainly not much out there for load data for the Superformance powder. And what Hodgdon has published all seems to be for the new(ish) breed of short-fat cases. I wonder if there will be more in the future...
    Not sure if your referring to their web data or their new reloading manual. I was told the new manual has data with several new powders including Superformance and RL-17.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Not sure if your referring to their web data or their new reloading manual. I was told the new manual has data with several new powders including Superformance and RL-17.
    I looked at the the new Hodgdon manual the other day and it does have data for the Superformance and Leverevolution powders. But I don't think you're going to find data for Alliant RL-17 in a Hodgdon manual. You must be refering to the new HORNADY manual.

However from what I have read on some other forums, at least for the time being, neither Hornady or Hodgdon has any plans to develop new load data nor do they even reccomend using these new powders for any cartridges other than those for which they were developed. i.e. the Hornady Superformance and Leverevolution factory offerings.

We all know people are going to experiment with them, but according to what a Hodgdon rep told a respected member on another forum, don't expect anything from these two powders unless it is in a cartridge they are already are loading it in.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I looked at the the new Hodgdon manual the other day and it does have data for the Superformance and Leverevolution powders. But I don't think you're going to find data for Alliant RL-17 in a Hodgdon manual. You must be refering to the new HORNADY manual.
    Yes you're correct, mental typo on my end...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    So, can anybody confirm whether or not the manuals have more data than what Hodgdon has published online? I'm specifically interested in load data for the 270WIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    So, can anybody confirm whether or not the manuals have more data than what Hodgdon has published online? I'm specifically interested in load data for the 270WIN.
    i just recieved my new hornady handbook......in a quick exam it appears that the 30-30,308,35rem are listed at factory leverevolution specs but the .338 marlin is not. calling hornady they said there are "different types" of leverevolution powder (?) which explains the .338 mystery. i will be loading my .35's and .338 this winter to do some crono testing, it should be interesting. anyway the book is heavy on information and worth having in my loading library.
    happy trails.
    jh