Thread: Looking for a good DIY hunting book

Default Looking for a good DIY hunting book

I am looking for a good informative DIY hunting book. Something that breaks down the in's and out's of a do it yourself hunt. If anyone has any good one's please share with us so I can grab it and plan my next adventure.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

For just a general all around hunting in AK I recommend Christopher Batin's Hunting in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I am looking for a good informative DIY hunting book. Something that breaks down the in's and out's of a do it yourself hunt. If anyone has any good one's please share with us so I can grab it and plan my next adventure.
    Batin's "Hunting Alaska" and Strahan's "Float hunting", neither can be beat for good information.
    Joe

"Hunt Alaska Now" by Dennis Confer. Great book, lots of knowledge, and you can tell the author really loved hunting Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Batin's "Hunting Alaska" and Strahan's "Float hunting", neither can be beat for good information.
    Joe
    I would second that. Larry Bartlett has some good stuff as well,Tony Russ' sheep book is a favorite too. Bob Marchand has the hunters tip book which is currently in the closeout section of the bookstore on this website http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...21498hojarvrv7 has some great tips too, it is not a comprehensive book, but has some good tips
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I enjoyed both Tony Russ' sheep hunting and bear hunting books. Very informative.

I would say "THE MANUAL FOR SUCCESSFUL HUNTERS: WHY 10% OF THE HUNTERS TAKE 90% OF THE GAME" you can get it at wal mart. gives you a lot of tips on just about everything.

Go to www.eastmans.com and get any of their DIY books. They are the best and solely focussed on DIY.
    Last edited by Silvertip-CO; 12-30-2010 at 06:38. Reason: sp
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'm another fan of the Batin and Russ books for information specific to Alaska.

While all of the above suggestions are good and I have read all of the books suggested so far, I would suggest you START with Chris Batin's book first, then proceed as your interest takes you. If you don't learn something new with each hunt then more than likely you missed a valuable lesson - at least that has been my experience. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I had just about worn out a copy of Chris Batins "Hunting Alaska" before I even moved here! Great place to start IMO.
    Tony Russ's books are also a wealth of knowledge.

On your DIY hunt what type of hunt are you wanting to do, float hunt, ATV, or walk in? You also did not mention what type of game you wanted to hunt. The more you know about animal behavior and how to hunt a specific animal the more success you will have. I read books on animal behavior, calling, bow hunting, every thing I can find, each book add more information. I have also found the older the book the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I'm another fan of the Batin and Russ books for information specific to Alaska.
    Same here. Hunting newbie since 2008 - but Batin and Russ (several) have been great teachers.
    Confer's is one of the best - esp for hunts along rivers. Bartlett (float hunt & caribou), Strahan (1 of the best researched, information-dense) too. All focus on hunting AK. Russ (Manual for Hunters), Confer and Strahan I keep going back to.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    On your DIY hunt what type of hunt are you wanting to do, float hunt, ATV, or walk in? You also did not mention what type of game you wanted to hunt. The more you know about animal behavior and how to hunt a specific animal the more success you will have. I read books on animal behavior, calling, bow hunting, every thing I can find, each book add more information. I have also found the older the book the better it is.
    That's what I thought the first time I read this post. You gotta narrow down your criteria just a little first. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. It all depends on what you are looking for. Sheep hunting? Moose hunting? Caribou hunting? Bear hunting? Predator hunting? Float hunting? Small game hunting? Etc. Christopher Batin's book is a good place to start, because it covers just about all of it. It is more of a general guide to get you started, but from there you gotta go deeper. If I had to pick my own personal favorite Alaskan read, it would have to be Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers by Jay Massey. Good luck finding a copy. I searched for a long time until finally my wife bought me a copy for my birthday about 2 years ago. She still won't tell me how she managed to find it. Apparently some elderly lady who is book collector had a copy of it. Jay Massey passed away so he is no longer publishing this book. It is a fantastic book about float hunting, moose hunting, caribou hunting, bear hunting and small game hunting with a bow and arrow. If you ever find a copy, pick it up, you won't be sorry.