Thread: S&W Hunter in .44 Mag or .357 Mag

Default S&W Hunter in .44 Mag or .357 Mag

Has anyone had the pleasure of hunting with this beautiful pistol? What were the results?

I can't imagine hunting anything larger than a rabbit with a .357 Mag. The .44 should be good for deer sized critters.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Has anyone had the pleasure of hunting with this beautiful pistol? What were the results?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Haven't used the S&W but I have and do hunt with a .357 GP100 on occasion. It is a fine round and has worked well on black bears and caribou.

I've whacked a whole lot of deer with 357 as well as 44. If there's a difference, the deer sure don't know it. Max range with the 357 was around 50 yards, and max with the 44 was 72 long paces.

In the 357 two loads are standouts. The Remington 125 grain HP factory load is a stone killer on deer. A shot in the boiler room will put deer down as fast as anything I've ever shot them with and better than any other 357 I've tried. A hard cast 150-160 grain SWC with a large meplat does very well too, though the deer don't drop as fast as with the 125 HP. I tried various 180's and none killed as fast. Might be an advantage on Texas heart shots, but I'm a broadside-only deer shooter.

The 44 is a 44, and with the right bullet it will go easily from deer to moose. I've whacked deer with most bullet weights from 180 to 300 and all worked well. I've taken one elk and one moose with the 44 too, both 1-shot kills inside 50 yards with 250 grain hard cast.

About 90% of my 357 deer shooting has been with a 6" Smith, though I've whacked half a dozen or so with a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. The 44 kills are more or less a split between a 4" 629 and a 7.5" Redhawk.

Picked up one of these two weeks ago:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Hopefully it will kill some blacktails in 2011. Previously my other 44's have worked really well on blacktails and mule deer. All pretty much died within 10 yards of where they stood and all were shot under 75 yards.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I can't imagine hunting anything larger than a rabbit with a .357 Mag. The .44 should be good for deer sized critters.
    Really? Imagine this, the .22LR has taken more big game in history than all others combined.