Thread: 130 grain loads for BSA Featerweight .270 WIN

Default 130 grain loads for BSA Featerweight .270 WIN

Seeking thoughts on driving 130 grain bullets out of a BSA Featherweight in .270 WIN.

Nice little package... claw extractor, control round feed, nice metal to wood finish, and cut/crowned to 19"

Looking to get around 2900-3000+ fps

Opinions/experiences at the range or in the field (one vs. another) on Barnes Triple-shock, Sierra GameKing, Nosler Partition, and Trophy-bonded tip?

Also considering trying 110 grain Barnes "tipped" triple shock?

Rifle will mostly be used as mountain gun... ranges will generally run 80-375 yards.

The late Jack O'Connor shot the .270 with great pride and his favorite load for the 130 gr bullet was 57 gr of IMR 4350 behind his Nosler Partition. I use that load for Mule deer and get 3200 fps on my Crony. You won't likely be able to use the TXS since it's too long. I also use a "drop tube" which allows you to get more powder in the case. I have used this for years....like 40 yrs...in my Win Model 70 and in Rem 700 rifles.

O'Connors load for the 150 gr Nosler is 58.5 gr H4831 for 3000 fps. also a great load!!!

It doesn't get any better than this for the .270....if you want to get better ...go to a .338 Win Mag...that's what I do.

GREAT LOADS!!!

Silver Tip

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Seeking thoughts on driving 130 grain bullets out of a BSA Featherweight in .270 WIN.

Nice little package... claw extractor, control round feed, nice metal to wood finish, and cut/crowned to 19"

Opinions/experiences at the range or in the field (one vs. another) on Barnes Triple-shock, Sierra GameKing, Nosler Partition, and Trophy-bonded tip?

Rifle will mostly be used as mountain gun... ranges will generally run 80-375 yards.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post

I think that 3000 fps will be difficult in a 19 inch tube without too high chamber pressure, but the animals will be just as dead from a 130 starting at 2950 fps. I normally load very slow powders in my 270 and have helped others find some extra velocity and performance by doing likewise. However the shorter tube may not make the best use of large doses of RL 22, IMR 7828 (SSC works better), or H4831. I'd give them a try just to see. I suspect you may find just what you are looking for in 4350 (H or IMR). I know that's where I'd start in your rifle. The fastest 130 grain load I've found and used in the 270 is with IMR 7828 SSC. PM me if you want the actual recipe.

I've killed whitetails with my 270 using SGK, Hornady Interlock, Nosler BT & Partitions, Speer Hot-Cor & Grand Slam, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, W-W Silvertips and probably some others that aren't coming to mind, mostly in 130 or 140 grain weight. For deer-size game I love Ballistic Tips (140 grain in particular) and the Grand Slams (130 grain). I've found the SGK a little more fragile than necessary, but very accurate. I'd use X (TSX or TTSX) and Trophy Bonded bullets on moose without a second thought concerning their terminal performance.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My deer load was a full case of H4831 and a Remington 130gr Core Lockt. In my opinion they are the best bullet for the buck out there!

[QUOTE=1Cor15:19;860739]I think that 3000 fps will be difficult in a 19 inch tube without too high chamber pressure, but the animals will be just as dead from a 130 starting at 2950 fps. I normally load very slow powders in my 270 and have helped others find some extra velocity and performance by doing likewise. However the shorter tube may not make the best use of large doses of RL 22, IMR 7828 (SSC works better), or H4831. I'd give them a try just to see. I suspect you may find just what you are looking for in 4350 (H or IMR). I know that's where I'd start in your rifle. The fastest 130 grain load I've found and used in the 270 is with IMR 7828 SSC. PM me if you want the actual recipe.
    QUOTE]

I have also gotten the highest velocity with good accuracy using RL22. A few years ago I worked up a very fast and accurate load out of my 24" barrel using 130 grain Nosler Accubond for a mule deer hunt.. Maximum charge of RL22, Win brass, Fed210 primer and running an honest 3200 fps. I need to explore IMR7828SSC, I don't recall if I have used that in 270Win or not.

Everyone seems to get great velocity out of H4831 and 130 grain bullets, but I don't in my 270Win. I worked all the way up to 62.0 grains and was getting pressure signs and was not as fast as the RL22 with no pressure signs at all.

I have read where others claim that Alliants RL powders are much more temperature sensitive than others, especially comparged to Hodgdons H poweders. I have never shot or hunted 270Win in below zero weather so I don't know...

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.

Here's my strategy -

4 starters... I'm gonna run a couple boxes of the plain-Jane 130 SP factory stuff.

Then try one box each of Federal Premium with the GameKing, Barnes Vor-tx tipped tsx, and Hornady Superformance sst. or interbond.

From this - I'll see what sort of realistic velocities to shoot for with some picture of average accuracy... hopefully, thereabouts what I'm looking to achieve. I'll post as this fun little package takes shape.

Thanks again.

Thumbs up BSA Featherweight .270 update

Been out in the sunshine as of late, got in the loadings I was seeking for (what I think) should be mountain hunting perfection, and hit the range.

So far my outings involved below zero dark days of winter. I had only purchased several boxes of inexpensive PRIVI 130 grain softpoints to go bang/bang and become more familiar with the gun. Mixed results mostly on these frigid range sessions that I'd attribute to kinda low level plinking ammunition, very cold conditions, quite windy, poor lighting, as well as sighting errors by wanting to keep the gun period correct of sorts with an old Weaver 3x atop (big 3-5 moa dot & fine crosshairs) in Parker Hale rings.

Leaving everything the same on the rifle... yesterday on a calm, clear sunshiny day of Alaska grandeur in March... I sat down to the range bench with a whole new loading. I was excited to test the Barnes VOR-TX 130 grain Tipped TSX BT ammunition taking advantage of such exceptional shooting conditions.

Newest results: One ragged hole groups at 50 yards - I'll say right about 3/8"! I chose 50 yards trying to nearly eliminate errors associated with any possible wind-drift out at 100 (common conditions at Rabbit Creek Range), scope sighting errors (based on the larger MOA dot), and overall visibility (based on old 3x glass staring into the bright in-your-face sunshine). This classic little featherweight BSA .270 rifle is showing really promising results.

I use 4831 or RL22 with 130's, and IMR 7828 with 150's. I load from data for the bullet manufacturer. The 150 gr. load with Hornady bullets and 7828 gives 2950 fps, in the 24" barrels of my pre-64 M70, and my Husky. "Down here", the Hornady's have given me more than satisfactory performance on game up to and including them iron-plated elk type critters.