Thread: Stucco or Gunite in Alaska

Default Stucco or Gunite in Alaska

How does stucco or gunite hold up in the coldest of temps in Alaska? Is it advisable to use either one on a house or should that idea be passed up and just go with a board siding?

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    How does stucco or gunite hold up in the coldest of temps in Alaska? Is it advisable to use either one on a house or should that idea be passed up and just go with a board siding?
    If you're doing the house in the burbs thing, steel siding is the way to go.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have sold quite a bit of Stucco-Flex around here. It's a latex based, rubber/sand stucco. It holds up really well in the moderate cold we have in the Talkeetna area. However, it is not that popular. It's most popular to apply over foam and ICF's. It's fairly difficult to apply and it requires nice, dry, warm weather to apply. That was in extreme short supply last summer. There really are no stucco suppliers in Alaska and I bring my product up from Seattle. Cost is actually more per square foot than fiber cement siding. In this area, fiber cement siding is growing rapidly in popularity. Cedar lap siding is still popular. I haven't been able to get vinyl or steel siding to sell, even though I am an ASC metal roofing and siding dealer.

Myself, my parents, my brother, and the manager of my store have all went with Hardi cement board siding on our homes. I used a pre-painted product, and everyone else have just used pre-primed. All have worked well and the oldest house is now 10 years into it's first paint job and it shows zero signs of wear.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

+1 for cement board siding. That's nice stuff too. I have nothing good to say about vinyl.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I went off the highway to a moving sale in healy, when I got there the house was probably a 4000 sq ft old spanish house that was stuccoed with a spanish tile roof. I couldn't hardly belive it, but talking to the owner it was 30 years old and had held up great.

thank you everyone for the replies.

Look into "Drivit" and "Eiffes". We use both of these brands frequently on commercial buildings in Fairbanks such as Sam's Club, Taco Bell, etc. They use foam as part of the system, and have decent insulation value. These are both good options that last long in harsh climates.