Thread: First cross Fox

Default First cross Fox

I been at this game along time.. Catching a hundred or so every year as a teenager but all my catches were reds. This year started out the same.. Red, red, red, reds, On christmas eve I caught one in a area that hard darker than normal guard hairs on its rear rump.. similar to a silver.. So I had high hopes that their were a silver in the area breeding with all the reds.. I was now on a mission and hopefully catching one, or it would be a matter of time.. Monday I checked some sets, and looked for natural funnels, and any tracks or claws running the hard packed snow to give me a idea of where their comming from and going through this area...Using topo maps, I found a skinny dirt ledge that channeled down into a ravine.. I checked it out monday evening and it had some fresh sign on it.. so I hung a snare on the ridge, 1 at the end and one on a trail leading to it into the flats.. (3) seem to be my lucky number this year..so Tuesday (yesterday) I got home and really didn't feel like making a run out their again in the minus temps just to check some sets, I had work to do in the shop.. My daughter talked me into it however. Glad I went because I had a huge male cross fox in the snare comming off the ridge. Caught the first night I put them in their..

I am either planning to do a lifesize mount or possibly rug it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross Fox 10-28-2010.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	43733
    Happy trapping.

Name:	Cross Fox.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	43732

Hoytguy

That's a nice looking Cross Fox, congratulations. I hope you get the Silver as well, those are beautiful animals.

awsome look'n cross should be a good piece no matter which way you wanna go with it, congrats to you again

nice fox!!! never seen a cross myself.

Congrats. That fox has some great coloration to him.

Beautiful animal, congrats!
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Good looking fox, forty years here and never seen one.

That looks like a good sized fox. Any chance you weighed it? Very pretty animal.
    ARR

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Nice Jess.. IMO go for the body mount a nice sitting postion looking down into your Living room. i have yet to see a canine rug i liked personally ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice fox, I caught one just like it last weekend. I usaully catch a couple a year but still waiting on that elusive silver to come along. I agree with Vince, no k9 rugs, go for life size on this one!

I think I will go the lifesize route.. Walking on all 4's comming down a peice of driftwood I picked up on the river, with some snow, ice and other local habitat materials.. I got a silver in 02, first and last one I ever caught.. Still kick myself to this day that I sold it..

Default cross fox taxi picture

Name:	NTA_Harness.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	44065

I plan to mount it with a similar form and position as the one pictured.. also incorporating a caribou or moose antler making it more alaska specific.. with a snow scene base, May place a squirrel or a spruce grouse at the base hiding and holding tight..All to be enclosed in a glass case.